Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What video game consoles are overrated?

Black Licorice

I've never understood why the original PlayStation was so successful. It had some great games, sure, but I don't know of any that couldn't have been done just as well on the N64 or Saturn; why did Sony get those titles? I feel like the only explanation is that Sega dropped the ball so hard with the Saturn, that Sony basically just swooped in better prepared and took their place.

The 360 fanatics never really quite made sense to me either.

I'm probably going to catch some flak for this but all 3 of the newest gen from the big 3. IMO I saw no reason to upgrade from last gens consoles for both the Xbox 1 or the PS4. There was just nothing new that was a defining reason to upgrade. The WiiU was the only one to actually make a visibly new console. But, Nintendo has never had a good relationship with 3rd party games so it's a bunch of wasted potential in that. Nintendo's strong point is all the exclusive characters and games (Metroid, Zelda, Kirby) but they haven't even done any of that, all it is right now is a dedicated Mario machine. The only reason I bought a WiiU was to be ready for Smash Bros. Since I got it 6 months ago, the only game I've bought was Splinter Cell, and after I beat that I now use it for nothing but Netflix and Youtube.

I don't really want any console or platform gone. All I want is for that stupid arrogance and pride to die, plus games should be made for gamers, not just to reel in more money. Don't rush games just to keep up with the market, make a solid game that's actually worthwhile.

So, no consoles are really overrated, it's just that the hype and the people make them overrated, consoles aren't that impressive, even though they have their own advantages. Neither is the PC that impressive. They're all good for their own purposes.

The Xbox 360. In my school, it's easily the most popular console. It seems like every single person has one. I even had one myself for a while, but I sold last last year.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my Xbox. I had a lot of good times with it, but I don't see why it was so popular.

I'll agree with the N64, I picked one up recently as it was really highly recommended, unfortunately the library wasn't too great. The Playstation 1 was much better.

Well I wouldn't call any one system 'overrated', you're sure to find some good games on anything really. However, I think that the entirety of the Xbox brand might be a bit overrated- sure, it gets the third party games I guess, but Microsoft hardly puts anything worthwhile out on the systems that isn't named Halo, and the 360 and Xbone don't exactly have the best specs of their respective generations. There are good games on them, I'm sure, but I think it's a bit baffling that many hardcore gamers go with Xbox as their system of choice, when the exclusives aren't much to write home about and other games on the systems are usually better on others. :P

A lot of people I've encountered seem to have this idea that the Xbox 360 was the "be all end all" of consoles just because a large portion of it's games were mature and gritty shooters. Maybe it's just because I never owned one, but apart from FPS I fail to see what was so great about it. And then there's the Sega Dreamcast. You'd think it was the holy grail of video consoles with how much people like to sing the consoles praises, but apart form a few games no one ever seems to expand on why it was so beloved apparently. 

All of them. Hail the glorious PC gamer master race!  :lol: Just kidding.

For me, I think the GB Color was pretty highly overrated. It had some great games, but it really wasn't that innovative. Sega had Game Gear before there was GBC and that had a color screen and a backlight - something Nintendo didn't do until they backlit the GBA SP somewhere in 2005 or so. That's about 14 or 15 years after the Game Gear was released. 

Sega almost always had superior hardware compared to everything else. They just lacked the library their competitors had. I imagine they'd still be alive in the console wars if they had more successful franchises. Imagine if Pokemon had been on Sega....if only...

Edited by Space Woona

The Nintendo 3DS is entirely over-rated as is the normal DS for that matter, i swear the only reason people buy them is for Pokemon exclusivity, not a good enough reason to buy one in my opinion.

The PSP is also over-rated, i had a few versions of it, they were/are over-priced and generally an awkward way to play games.