Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Kids crawling all over $3,000,000 sculpture

lomk

Thats just a fine example of modern "punishment free" parenting :/

sadly its still out there, and on the rise since any little scrape on a kid gets child services called and investigations going :(

Time out is time to think about what they did alright, and how NOT to get caught doing it next time. If theres no negative reinforcement, theres no negative thought to the action...

On another note.. Who appraised that supposed thing as being worth that much? ugh.. the garbage that passes for art.. 

I saw one that was just some bike parts welded to a pole... $5,000 according to the tag, and the CITY bought it... WTFH.. tax money wasted on this crap.. a $50 weld job using barely $10 worth of junk parts from a garbage pile :/

I should start doing that stuff and making up schtick about it meaning something (although IMO a real piece of work should make the viewer almost instantly realize, at least in part, the meaning without needing to be told. But thats me) then start selling it.. oh dammit.. I'd need to go to "art school" first too right?

bah...

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 3

@@MagicalStarRain,

Oh, I do realize it's a bit off-topic, but the image presents two pathologies quite clearly. Least, one of the pathologies being an irregularity for majority of people. That's what I wanted to point out with my post.

There's no need to preach me about what's the original intent of the OP :)

It's true, they are being irresponsible and are offering too much leeway for their kid, but it'll be their problem once it starts causing them trouble. They'll pay the price in future, yet.

I'd need to go to "art school" first too right?

Of course! After all you're restricted to officially possess any knowledge about any and all subjects at all unless you have papers for it. Who do you think you are? Some kind of talented individual who's better than others with papers?

Edited by Khajiit
  • Brohoof 1

Maybe the parents didn't know it was a sculpture, after all, who would be dumb enough to waste $3 million on that?

It seems parenting these days has shifted to two extremes. Parents either let their kids run wild and don't do or say anything (assuming, of course, we ignore encouragement), and control freak parents who schedule everything including when the poor kid farts. Kids are kids, and they need their play, but the line has been crossed. A exhibit filled with expensive stuff ($3 million for bloody rectangles?!) is not the place to let children run around. If you want to see the art*  that badly, either keep your children in line or hire a babysitter.

*Have you ever heard the story about the emperor's new clothes? Perfect analogy for "art" these days

but even then his "new clothes" were more of an art piece than this stuff

I disagree. Convincing someone to pay that much was the epitome of con art.

Edited by Frith is Magik
  • Brohoof 2

Why did someone buy that for 3,000,000$? This is like Dada art all over again but with even less meaning and more money grubbing. I will agree that the kid is an idiot or whatever the general consensus is if someone can explain to me how that is even art.  

• Brohoof 1

*Have you ever heard the story about the emperor's new clothes? Perfect analogy for "art" these days

lol

that is a good one, but even then his "new clothes" were more of an art piece than this stuff :P

Regardless, these people are terrible parents. This whole passive parenting thing is why kids are so shitty these days. 

Like I said in an earlier post, I was abused as a kid and I still take the stand that you bust a kid's ass when they're acting like this. Sure there's a fine line but there's a difference between abuse and discipline. Negative reinforcement works. People just think that they got their butts whipped when they were kids and they don't want their kids to grow up the way they did. This, I can understand. Growing up the way I did is the last thing I want for my kids. But that's no reason to not teach them right from wrong. 

Timeout also works, but not when you put a kid in there for five minutes. And definitely not sitting down. When I was younger, timeout meant standing in a corner for at least ten minutes for the little things. If it was too small for a spanking but too big to go unpunished, I'd have to stand in the corner for up to 45 minutes sometimes. It sucked. It really friggin sucked. Putting your nose in a corner and standing still for upwards of a half hour is miserable. For the first five minutes, I'd think about what I did and how to not get caught, but after that, I realized that the gloves were off. I was going to have to stand there for another 25 minutes with nothing to do but reflect on what got me there in the first place. And I couldn't sit down or move or they'd just tack on an extra couple minutes. Oftentimes, I would rather have been whipped. 

Sure I've dealt with trauma from being beaten by my father when he was using drugs. That's crossing the line. But having been disciplined pretty harshly when I was being a little asshole hasn't had a negative effect on me. I was taught to respect my parents and to respect adults when I was a kid. Also I was constantly being told no. And you know what? No meant no. 

I just can't deal with people who let their kids get away with everything. It's just not right. You love them when they're doing the right thing. You bust their asses when they're doing the wrong thing. And don't give them everything they want. It's as simple as that. 

Or maybe I'm just too old school. 

I think this comment on one of the articles about this disturbed me more than the parents:

parents.png

Really? You're a teacher and you've never seen a bad parent?  So all those parents who beat their children and don't feed them are good parents and it's the child's fault they're abused?

I hate this world sometimes.

Spanking won't teach them what their doing is wrong, it'll only induce fear. They need to be told not to do things and why it's bad. 

These are bad parents, yeah. You don't just let your kids get away with things. :u

• Brohoof 1