Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did you like going to the doctor as a kid?

Mesme Rize

(edited)

I only had to go to the dentist when I was younger (I had serious dental issues... Probably neglect :P) a good few times. I was okay with it, but I didn't necessarily like it because it did hurt quite a bit. Luckily I don't have the normal reaction to pain of that kind, and it didn't hinder their procedures. My teeth are still not in a great state these days... Being all yellow and pointy like they shouldn't be...

Otherwise, I never went to any doctor once as a kid! :P

Edited by Squirrel Luigi

I didn't mind going to the doctor when I was a kid, so long as shots weren't involved. Otherwise, I would cry and freak out! I hate needles to this day. 

• Brohoof 1

@Mesme Rize

To cite a passage from the TV Trope page for "Afraid of Needles":

For some reason, the Fatal Flaw of many a hero is fear of hypodermic needles and antiseptics. Not knives, not absurdly large guns, not even snakes! (;)There's just something deliciously ironic about a Big Damn Hero who routinely gets cut up with huge knives, beat to within an inch of their life and without giving up, becoming squirmy and panicky when their Love Interest comes over with a simple syringe and sanitary cotton to clean their wounds.....

This is a common enough fear among many people, and a particularly fun example of Truth in Television. It may be related to the fact that while combat injuries and the resulting pain are usually suppressed by adrenaline, the pain that comes along with tearing off bandages, or putting peroxide into wounds is not.

(under the Real Life folder for this trope was this bullet point: 

• Almost every small child, to the point where they cry upon having to go to the doctor's office.

(end quoting source)

It seems to me that one huge factor for not liking the doctor is simply a fear of needles, but it's nothing to be ashamed of. While I too can't stand the pain of needles, it goes away soon after, and I am grateful the injection did its job of keeping me healthier than I would have if I didn't allow the shots!

(edited)

I was pretty neutral about it I guess. Other then getting shots and stuff.

My dentist on the other hand was awesome! 

18 hours ago, Stormfury said:

Lol, no! My thoughts were... "They only want my blood." :P

Lmao! So...they were vampires? :P

Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 1

I don't really remember going to the doctors when I was younger O: ... My mom was (and still is) very much against them.... I am too. I DO rememeber going once and getting a lolipop out of it and that was the only thing I liked.

nope nope nope not at all and still dont to this day. 

The worst thing I remember from a doc visit as a kid was a tetanus boost.... turns out im allergic to it. so where the injection went in, my skin turned black and sore and I couldnt walk (they did it in my thigh back then). So major cock up on doctors part and it also may have triggered a slight fear.

Im fine with dentists, had teeth pulled and fillings and deep cleaning with no fear, but as soon as I think about booking a doc appointment, I get hit with an anxiety panic attack. its the only thing that causes it now. (I got a major confidence boost when I started going to conventions years ago, now you wouldnt know I had anxiety) 

Its a fear thing, needles obviously, but I think its more in case they find something wrong with me. Ive had my confidence shattered by GPs for getting something as simple as contraceptive pills. Last time I went to get a check, I was told I couldnt have them out of worry that I have high blood pressure and am too heavy. Yes Im heavy, but Ive been told by friends there are other types of pills for bigger girls, but the main reason I get told this is because Im panicking. When they take my blood pressure, its already high because Im terrified. and then being told you cant have the pills drops your social anxiety to the floor and i never want to go back. 

its one of the few things im very afraid of. Theres not much that scares me today, but ive never been able to get over this one =( 

I never liked it and still don't. I think my phlebotomist feels like a monster every time she sees me. As for the dentist, I only freak out when it's time for the shots (I can never get away with less than 5 to numb me). Then I just go to sleep XD

I wasn't a fan of it until he gave me sweets every time i was there! After time i relised the doctor was actually doing me good. From then on i was happy sometimes when we went there. But not always because i wanted to play with friends! :lol:

Nope, no way. Between the ages of 3 and 6, I was always being hospitalized because of very, very dangorously high fevers caused by bladder and kidney infections, I was extremely sick on and off, to the point where I couldn't eat or drink anything, until I had surgery at the age of 6, and it all went away. But because of all that, I grew to hate visiting the doctor. Now, whenever I have to go to the doctor (I barely ever go now, only once a year for a yearly checkup) I get anxiety a little. :sunny:

• Brohoof 1

It would depend on the "level of sickness" that I felt I was in.  I loved going for check-ups, My Doc would always give me free toys to take home!

They were educational toys but the quality was pretty good even for today's standards. 

When I knew or felt that I'd be needled , Kid Vulcan would always wear his running shoes. The doctor may get me in the end....but not without a fight -_-

• 1 year later...

Anyone else here avidly watch if blood is taken? I always think it looks cool to see my blood filling up that tube! I was going to find a video, but decided that would be bad. Not that many people are as weird as me!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

17 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Anyone else here avidly watch if blood is taken? I always think it looks cool to see my blood filling up that tube! I was going to find a video, but decided that would be bad. Not that many people are as weird as me!

It's interesting watching your blood go into those tubes, isn't it?  I have a hard time looking at the initial inserting of the needle but I like watching blood work get done.

8 hours ago, Thuja said:

It's interesting watching your blood go into those tubes, isn't it?  I have a hard time looking at the initial inserting of the needle but I like watching blood work get done.

When I was a teen, I needed some minor surgery on my arm. There was a golf ball size tumor inside the bend of my elbow that was starting to interfere with my arm's motion. Thankfully it was benign! I refused a general anesthetic and was all drugged up but awake when it was time to operate. The surgeon actually yelled at me because I kept begging him to let me watch! I was high as a kite and got mad when they put those green drapes up so I couldn't see my arm!

Later on I apologized to him. He just laughed and told me everyone thought I was funny!

You can still see the two inch long scar on my arm too! It shows up any time I get some sun.

:-D

2 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

When I was a teen, I needed some minor surgery on my arm. There was a golf ball size tumor inside the bend of my elbow that was starting to interfere with my arm's motion. Thankfully it was benign! I refused a general anesthetic and was all drugged up but awake when it was time to operate. The surgeon actually yelled at me because I kept begging him to let me watch! I was high as a kite and got mad when they put those green drapes up so I couldn't see my arm!

Later on I apologized to him. He just laughed and told me everyone thought I was funny!

You can still see the two inch long scar on my arm too! It shows up any time I get some sun.

:-D

Good thing it wasn't anything serious!!  Too bad they didn't let you watch, that could've been a great memory right there.  The only surgery I had that didn't put me under was my wisdom tooth extraction.  I can't quite recall but I think I kept asking them for my teeth and got mad after a few times of refusals.  I honestly think it was a waste to just take them out with the rest of the biohazards or whatever they do with them, I wanted my teeth!! :okiedokieloki:

1 minute ago, Thuja said:

Good thing it wasn't anything serious!!  Too bad they didn't let you watch, that could've been a great memory right there.  The only surgery I had that didn't put me under was my wisdom tooth extraction.  I can't quite recall but I think I kept asking them for my teeth and got mad after a few times of refusals.  I honestly think it was a waste to just take them out with the rest of the biohazards or whatever they do with them, I wanted my teeth!! :okiedokieloki:

OMG! I had my wisdom teeth removed, and I wanted to keep them. Same thing. The dentist said no!

3 minutes ago, Sondash Studios said:

Nope. Every time I went to the doctor, some needle waited to ambush me from nowhere.:stressed:

shutterstock_319466393-1-845x684.jpg

Needles never bother me!

• Brohoof 1