Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony G1

Ponyswag89

Guys please be careful, this is looking to go downhill fast. Keep it on topic and keep it civil.

• Brohoof 3

Again, I'm sorry, but the amount of older gen hate I see on this particular website is overwhelming me.

I know that feel, I like G1 but not alot of ppl seem to agree with me. For a 1980's cartoon show it's op, need to have that mindset.

Maybe I can defend it, because it aired on a newborn/baby channel, and it was specifically intended for newborns/babies; so I don't think it's going to be a magnificently well-written show that adults can relate to.

Well I have to disagree with this though, b/c if everyone actually committ to the morality depicted in this show we won't have all that hatred and war going on in the world.

That's no excuse for heinous animation and even then, Curious George on PBS is far better and that's for little kids as well

On topic, G1 is an 80's show, that's all I can say

Well, it actually wasn't too bad for a BABY show, a lot of babies enjoy it and that's all that matters; and again, the writing actually wasn't that bad considering it was a baby show.

And so what if MLP G1 is an 80s show? Almost all of the 80s cartoons are much better than the poor entertainment they put on TV today.

Edited by Mami Tomoe
  • Brohoof 1

Well, it actually wasn't too bad for a BABY show, a lot of babies enjoy it and that's all that matters; and again, the writing actually wasn't that bad considering it was a baby show.

They didn't even bother opening the mouths, the animation is crap

And so what if MLP G1 is an 80s show? Almost all of the 80s cartoons are much better than the poor entertainment they put on TV today.

I never said 80's shows were a bad thing, calm yourself :blink: . I just meant that it's like He-Man or Inhumanoids, unbelievably cheesy with hammy acting. In a good way.

And that's a bit generalistic 

One final warning before I lock the thread. Read the OP guys, this is not a thread to debate G3 and G1, the OP was asking if there were similar episodes in G1 to FiM. If you can't keep it on topic, then you won't be allowed to discuss it at all.

• Brohoof 2

Just think.. With no G1, G2, G3 ponies... there would be no G4 ponies. G1-3 were the ones to lay the groundwork for G4.  Respect the early generations.

I totally acknowledge and agree with that.

metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-im-1

For main topic, Tirek appeared in G1, maybe something similar to G4?

It's pretty much safe to say that all of G3 My Little Pony is an absolute travesty to say the least. But what about G1? From my knowledge, it's not as good as G4, but is easily the second best MLP generation. I've only seen the two pilot specials (Rescue at Midnight Castle and Escape from Catrina), the 1985 Movie, the two-parter Fugitive Flowers (which I though was great) and Spike's Search (which was not great, despite being in someways better than its G4 counterpart, Dragon Quest). But at this moment, I don't really want to waste time watching every single other G1 MLP episode, as I've heard it's mostly dreck, so I ask you, what episodes of G1 would you recommend (that also includes Tales, that is, if any of its episodes are worthwhile), other than the ones I've listed? And are there any other episodes with similar storys to Friendship is Magic?

We already have a similar topic here, so I have merged yours with it. Unless you are sure a topic doesn't already exist, please use the search feature to check before starting a new one.

Personally, I kind of like G1. Not as much as G4, but moreso than G3. Though some of G3 wasn't that bad either, in my opinion. I especially liked Minty, for some reason. (maybe it's her fascination with socks...) Anyway, I haven't watched all of the G1 episodes, and I can't remember enough about the ones I watched to recommend anything. If I was still interested though, I would probably just start at 1 and work my way through them. Even if some people think they're 'dreck', that's their opinion. I'd watch them myself and make my own informed opinion.

One final warning before I lock the thread. Read the OP guys, this is not a thread to debate G3 and G1, the OP was asking if there were similar episodes in G1 to FiM. If you can't keep it on topic, then you won't be allowed to discuss it at all.

Sorry, I didn't notice you were watching this thread. I merged it with an older one (by the same name, coincidentally) because they were both discussing whether they should watch G1, though admittedly, the second one was asking for specific episode recommendations and if any resembled FIM. But still, I think it's something they could have asked in the existing thread.

I'm a relatively recent Brony, having started watching FiM back in April. I've since seen all the episodes of the show plus Equestria Girls, and am about halfway through the comics. I love FiM, and when it comes to things like this, I kind of like to find out the history of it. I decided to try watching previous generations, to see what they're all about, especially since lots of people here bring them up at times, and I feel out of the loop when that happens. I figured I would start with the very first series, since it's not only the very first, but also the most well regarded, other than FiM. So far, I've seen Rescue at Midnight Castle, Escape From Catrina and My Little Pony: The Movie. I might as well post my thoughts so far. My opinions could potentially be subject to change, so take them with a grain of salt. I'm also well aware that the series is from the mid 80s.

The Bad: The ponies themselves aren't all that engaging. The series seems to star different ponies every time, effectively limiting potential character development, and nothing about the lives of these ponies is at all interesting, except when there's conflict. As a result of not being around for long, no pony remotely resembles a deep or developed character. I think I'd go as far to say that something bad needs to happen for the series to be remotely entertaining. Some plot points are rushed or stupid, and the magic rainbow is total BS. Seriously, it's like the Chuck Norris of rainbows and it's way too powerful. Anything Mr. Moochik does could probably be classified as BS. At least he's likeable. The voice acting sucks at times, and few of the actors can sing, yet they all seem bent on trying at some point(at least the sea ponies are an exception). Heck, it seems most characters need a song when they're introduced. Danny and Molly are typical child characters, who really don't add anything.

The Good: In the case of the first two OVAs, it's actually pretty impressive that the series can fit world building, character and villain introductions and a full plot into a 22 minute OVA, and have enough time to resolve said plot. The series seems to build parts of its world overtime. First it was the existence of ponies, then it was where they lived, and then they finally started kicking around the terms for the three main types of ponies in the film. The villains make this series. It wouldn't have much going for it IMHO, if not for the villains. They're the closest thing to fully developed characters, and they're far more entertaining than the average pony, plus they bring much needed conflict to the story. I thought I'd object to humans being in the series, but Megan's got more going for her than the ponies do. She may be like a piece of cardboard, but the ponies around her are like sheets of paper. Some of the dumber moments are actually kind of entertaining, in a so good it's bad sort of way.

The ponies aren't as pure hearted as they're made out to be. They seem to have a short fuse, and are actually kind of bullies. They picked on Sundance in Escape from Catrina, and both Lickety-Split and Shade in the movie. Two of the three kind of messed up, but that is indicative of a rage problem. Since it happened in two separate episodes, these incidents are not at all isolated. You may be wondering why I list this under the good. Even though it makes the ponies less sympathetic, it's the closest thing they have to a collective personality trait. It's also neat seeing where Faust drew some inspiration for some of her character designs, which is a big part of why I decided to take on this challenge. Oh, this series also has sea ponies, and I've established that they actually can sing.

I'm going to keep going with this series for the time being. My original goal was to watch all the tv episodes and movies from gens 1-3, but the road appears to be treacherous, especially with people saying that the series I'm watching is better than the rest, aside from FiM. I will say it has some redeeming qualities that have kept me watching so far.

Edited by Tross
  • Brohoof 1

Hm... I'm not even sure I want to go down such a dark and mysterious path.

I'm not particularly interested in most cartoons of any sort so MLP is kind of an exception. I understand that the previous generations gave rise to the current one, I don't think I'd watch it.. EVER..

But that's not to say I'd mind seeing some of the previous characters in this newer generation, such as Tirek.

Hm... I'm not even sure I want to go down such a dark and mysterious path.

I'm not particularly interested in most cartoons of any sort so MLP is kind of an exception. I understand that the previous generations gave rise to the current one, I don't think I'd watch it.. EVER..

But that's not to say I'd mind seeing some of the previous characters in this newer generation, such as Tirek.

You're missing out if you don't watch G1! In fact, I'd say to fully appreciate FiM you should watch G1, especially the first two specials, Rescue from Midnight Castle and Escape from Catrina.

• Brohoof 3

You're missing out if you don't watch G1! In fact, I'd say to fully appreciate FiM you should watch G1, especially the first two specials, Rescue from Midnight Castle and Escape from Catrina.

It'd be an interesting History Lesson, I'm sure of it!  :lol:

Oh, I appreciate FiM more alright. In all due seriousness though, it is interesting to see where the franchise started, media-wise, and seeing some of the basics fall into place, slowly but surely. I'm not sure I'd recommend sticking with G1 the entire way through, mind you. It has its ups and downs, but it's definitely not for everyone. I'm currently halfway through The End of Flutter Valley, but even though I made it that far, I'm sure some would have quit well before then. At least it has Surprise in it, who Pinkie Pie's cutie mark was taken from. Ponies that are similar to the other five members of the mane six in terms of appearance, name or personality, and Spike, appear in the first two specials, and I would recommend at least giving those a try. They're a good way to gauge if the rest of the series is for you or not.

As my LB Show states in the first episode, I grew up with G1 with glimpses of G2 and 3, however when I went back to G1 about 5yrs ago, and watched the MLP Movie, Attack of the Smooze, sadly it just doesn't hold up very well for today. The character development is poorly done, the stories are a bit dull and at times things happen so fast you are basically brain numbed. Some of the songs aren't as catchy today either.

If you want to watch G1 for nolstagia value I would say start with the very first movie which is Firefly's Big Adventure, or it's other title Escape from Midnight Castle. The music in that is reatlively good but be warned there's no character development and everything goes by fast in the episode.

• Brohoof 1

As my LB Show states in the first episode, I grew up with G1 with glimpses of G2 and 3, however when I went back to G1 about 5yrs ago, and watched the MLP Movie, Attack of the Smooze, sadly it just doesn't hold up very well for today. The character development is poorly done, the stories are a bit dull and at times things happen so fast you are basically brain numbed. Some of the songs aren't as catchy today either.

If you want to watch G1 for nolstagia value I would say start with the very first movie which is Firefly's Big Adventure, or it's other title Escape from Midnight Castle. The music in that is reatlively good but be warned there's no character development and everything goes by fast in the episode.

I'm sorry, but it does annoy me that Bronies bash G1 because it's the 'fashionable' thing to do!

Edited by Twilight Mist

Care to explain why? Have you even seen any of the earlier gens? Or are you trolling?

I watched TV specials, for G1, sure Tirek is pretty cool but the ponies are boring and the Cringing is overall too much for me

I watched TV specials, for G1, sure Tirek is pretty cool but the ponies are boring and the Cringing is overall too much for me

But the G1 episodes weren't really about the ponies. Remember, Megan was the main character, not the ponies.

• Brohoof 1

I watched G1 as a child, and I watched a few episodes this year. It's really good, honestly. My favorite characters are Surprise and Firefly. Also, if you are familiar with Friendship is Witchcraft, they talk about the Smooze. The Smooze appears in My Little Pony the Movie. (Not to confuse with Equestria Girls.) 

Generation 1 is pretty good. 

Generations in my opinion from favorite to least favorite:

Generation 4

Generation 1

Generation 3 

Generation 2

But the G1 episodes weren't really about the ponies. Remember, Megan was the main character, not the ponies.

Still, bottom line for me is that I dont at like G1-3 at all (except Tirek) Just expressing my opinion. It's fine if you like G1. But I dont.

Just think.. With no G1, G2, G3 ponies... there would be no G4 ponies. G1-3 were the ones to lay the groundwork for G4.  Respect the early generations.

Well........ If they made G1-3 like G4 we wouldnt have the whole stereotype on why most people think everything MLP related is shit. Newborn cuties isnt worthy of my respect.

Still, bottom line for me is that I dont at like G1-3 at all (except Tirek) Just expressing my opinion. It's fine if you like G1. But I dont.

Well........ If they made G1-3 like G4 we wouldnt have the whole stereotype on why most people think everything MLP related is shit. Newborn cuties isnt worthy of my respect.

Why come on here just to badmouth G1? You might not like it, but please be respectful of people who do, as actually we outnumber Bronies!

• Brohoof 1

I'm sorry, but it does annoy me that Bronies bash G1 because it's the 'fashionable' thing to do!

How is what I said 'fashionable'? Or 'bashing' I grew up in G1 if I didn't make that clear.

And its an opinion, but its based off the facts of other opinions too like from Brony Anaylisis "TheVoiceofReason" G1 episodes tend to be outdated by todays standards. Sorry if you don't agree though, is all good if its your opinion.

I even said its good for 'nolstagia' so please read carefully next time before you start 'bashing others' for their opinions lol.

Edited by Lightning Bliss

Why come on here just to badmouth G1? You might not like it, but please be respectful of people who do, as actually we outnumber Bronies!

He asked if he should watch G1, my advice to that question is ''No''

Not sure how you could measure that tho. Please present a fact about that. MLPForums wasnt created for G1 reasons if I remember correctly. 

Edited by SveciaDash