Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony G1

Ponyswag89

Nofriends.JPG

Hi everypony. So I'm really hooked onto MLP:FiM and I knew about the G1 series way back, but never saw it. So my question is should I watch G1 MLP? I've seen the intro of it and I really the style of it (It reminds of some of the cartoons I grew up on:Super Mario Bros Super Show, X-men, Captain Planet)

• Brohoof 6

Well, I used to watch the show when I was a kid, and it's not that bad actually. So, yeah, I'd recommend it, especially if you like those shows you mentioned. It has this adventure-y quest-y feel to it.

• Brohoof 4

If you want to see how My Little Pony started out, I would watch it to see if it's good enough to watch a whole season of. So if you choose to watch it, I say go for it.

• Brohoof 2

I'm bias...I started out in MLP before there was a cartoon.

There are two specials and then there are 2 series that came on TV. I'd start out with the specials since they are the original very first ever MLP stuff to be put into a cartoon.

if you really want to start out with something : The 1984 special, Rescue at Midnight Castle or sometimes called Firefly's Adventure. I personally think it's the best out of everything and it will get you started understanding the characters and concept for G1.

• Brohoof 5

There is no reason to not give it a try. I have the first series on DVD and just ordered the second series, My Little Pony Tales, on DVD. I think the show should have had more epic stories. There were some interesting episodes that got sort of heavy but could have gone further. The Big Brother Ponies were in only one episode. In some ways the show was more serious than FIM.

• Brohoof 3

I watched the pilot episode and I have to say: It's just as good as FIM. I wonder why it didn't stay that way through the years. It had that sort of "disney" feel to it. It faked out the utopian society and led right into chaos. I love when writers do this, for it gives the characters some development. Trying to find where I can watch the rest though.

• Brohoof 3

Of course: go and check it out and see what you think.

If you don’t mind me saying, I would advise not to expect it to be Friendship Is Magic, some people I think who dislike older gens (not all), but some go in watching the older gens expecting them to be something that there not, hence why there disappointed.

Edited by Asherdangerdash
  • Brohoof 2

I'd say if you are curious watch the special & movie before the tv series.   Looking on wikipeida to find out which happened in what order I got, if you are interested in watching something in the order it came out:

My Little Pony (later renamed Rescue at Midnight Castle): 22 minutes.

Escape from Catrina: 22 minutes

My Little Pony: the movie: 86 minutes

My Little Pony n friends: seasons 1 and 2

Though one has to remember it won't be exactly like the current show.  Not only with it being the 80's but also censors, and likely parent's groups, dictated certain things. 

Edited by Kulstor
  • Brohoof 3

I've watched all the prior generation animations, and there's things that can be gleaned from all of them. Some are a bit unfortunate, but oh well.

The first two specials (Rescue at Midnight Cast [may be named Firefly's Adventure as @@KarentheUnicorn says above], andEscape from Catrina), the original movie (My Little Pony: The Movie), and the follow-on series (My Little Pony 'n Friends) was the closest to the current series in tone. Not surprising as that's what Lauren Faust watched as a little girl, and was what she was aiming for in a general sense when she started as the showrunner for FiM. The pacing is a bit choppy, and the 'main cast' gets rotated a lot to promote the toy lines, so don't get attached to any particular pony characters.

The next series (technically still G1, but a lot of people mistake it for G2) My Little Pony Tales wanders into a far more modern setting that can be a bit off-putting if you're not prepared for it. G2 didn't have an animated series. G3 and G3.5 had a collection of direct-to-media releases that progressively got aimed at younger and younger audiences, ending with a pair of very strange webcasts that have some disturbing elements to them.

• Brohoof 2

And in the original series instead of the Elements of Harmony there was the Rainbow of Light.  I think unicorns could only teleport, what I think they called winking.  Megan and Spike were about the only consistent characters to appear often.  Megan's little brother and sister, I think she was her little sister, appeared often also.

My Little Pony Tales is a different sort of series to g1.  They are more anthropormozed, teens who go to school.  & there are really only earth ponies.  Except in I think 1 episode.

G3 has Rainbowdash who always dresses in style.

Found a 11 and a half minute video of the openings for most or all of the versions.  it's only 240 resolution but some may like it and it gives you a look the various versions. 

Edited by Kulstor

Yep, Molly was Megan's sister, her brother was Danny.

Actually there were some ponies who appeared in multiple episodes but what I liked about G1 was it didn't always focus on only certain ponies, a lot of time you got to meet new ponies - so there wasn't core 6 ponies that we followed every episode. I think that is part of the theme to G1 anyway -as a toy line we didn't get the same 6 toy ponies over and over in every set hasbro released. In each new set hasbro released the majority were 'new' ponies we had never seen before.

Edited by KarentheUnicorn
  • Brohoof 1

I personally really liked G1. I liked how it was very rare that there were only single episode arcs, and really enoyed the 4 episode story arcs.

It does get pretty corny at times, but so was every other show in the 80's.

• Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

It's pretty much safe to say that all of G3 My Little Pony is an absolute travesty to say the least. But what about G1? From my knowledge, it's not as good as G4, but is easily the second best MLP generation. I've only seen the two pilot specials (Rescue at Midnight Castle and Escape from Catrina), the 1985 Movie, the two-parter Fugitive Flowers (which I though was great) and Spike's Search (which was not great, despite being in someways better than its G4 counterpart, Dragon Quest). But at this moment, I don't really want to waste time watching every single other G1 MLP episode, as I've heard it's mostly dreck, so I ask you, what episodes of G1 would you recommend (that also includes Tales, that is, if any of its episodes are worthwhile), other than the ones I've listed? And are there any other episodes with similar storys to Friendship is Magic?

Wow, what a way to start of a topic - G3 hate! I'm getting incredibly sick you you Bronies bashing the older gens. G3 isn't a travesty at all. And no, there aren't any G1 episodes similar to FiM; stop comparing the older gens to FiM, just because it's different from FiM doesn't mean it's bad. In fact, it's good that the older gens are different from FiM, because FiM isn't all that great itself.

I'm sorry for ranting, but I don't do it nearly as much as you Bronies do about the older gens.

EDIT: Plus, if you don't wanna "waste your time" watching all the G1 episodes, then don't bother watching it at all!

Edited by Mami Tomoe
  • Brohoof 5

The first 2 episodes.

Loved the villains, smart villains. (EDIT: I'm referring to the flower like villains so maybe you already listed it...)

Wow, what a way to start of a topic - G3 hate! I'm getting incredibly sick you you Bronies bashing the older gens. G3 isn't a travesty at all. And no, there aren't any G1 episodes similar to FiM; stop comparing the older gens to FiM, just because it's different from FiM doesn't mean it's bad. In fact, it's good that the older gens are different from FiM, because FiM isn't all that great itself.

I'm sorry for ranting, but I don't do it nearly as much as you Bronies do about the older gens.

Whoa calm down, it's okay it's an opinion.

I do agree with you though, G3 is not really that bad, watched it and it was not bad.

Edited by Solid Scorpion

The first 2 episodes.

Loved the villains, smart villains. (EDIT: I'm referring to the flower like villains so maybe you already listed it...)

Whoa calm down, it's okay it's just an opinion.

I do agree with you though, G3 is not really that bad, watched it and it was not bad.

Again, I'm sorry, but the amount of older gen hate I see on this particular website is overwhelming me.

@,

Maybe regular G3 wasn't a travesty, but you can't defend Newborn Cuties. That had no redeeming traits 

Maybe I can defend it, because it aired on a newborn/baby channel, and it was specifically intended for newborns/babies; so I don't think it's going to be a magnificently well-written show that adults can relate to.

Edited by Mami Tomoe
  • Brohoof 1

Yes, G1 is my second favorite generation and there are quite a few G1 references in G4. Nightmare Moon was inspired by Tirek whose goal was to use his rainbow of darkness to turn ponies into monster to pull his dark chariot and bring in the "night that never ends". He was defeated by the rainbow of light which was the inspiration for the elements of harmony. King Sombra was inspired by Grogar who was the ruler of Tambellon which was a kingdom banished to that universes equivalent of hell. The entire mane 6 are all inspired by G1 ponies, their names had to be changed due to patent reasons (except for Applejack) but the influence is still there.

G1 in general is pretty good despite a few flaws here and there, I would especially recommend Rescue at Midnight Castle and The Return of Tambellon. G1 has a strong adventure feel to it with a lot of great villains. Humans Megan and later Danny and Molly play a significant role in the story, the ponies themselves are more child like than in G4 but there are some that have their moments like Firefly (the inspiration for Rainbow Dash). The best part about it though is the villains.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy

Maybe I can defend it, because it aired on a newborn/baby channel, and it was specifically intended for newborns/babies; so I don't think it's going to be a magnificently well-written show that adults can relate to.

That's no excuse for heinous animation and even then, Curious George on PBS is far better and that's for little kids as well

On topic, G1 is an 80's show, that's all I can say