Why do fans need the main six to be in their 20s?

FNGRpony

This always kind baffled me.

Why?  Now I don't wanna pull out the "it's for little girls card."

I don't.  it's an evil, ugly card that should be banned,

and it's suppose to appeal to the parents of those little girls as well so they can watch it with them,

soooooooooooooooooo why couldn't the cast be around 16?

It seems like a brony crusade to keep the cast as far away from high school age as possible.

Even thought in equistra there seems to be no high school.

You can go off to a specialty school, (wonder bolts achedmy and the like).

So that said why couldn't flutters, rarity, pinkie, dashie (specially dashie),

and apple jack not be doing all those same things at younger ages?

I could see someone saying "oh twilight would need to be older for all her magic spells.."

and that's her.  That's a reasonable perspective.

but even than if you told me she was a prodigy would you go "that's not possible."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvTYhrZUgYY

flight to the finish. i continue to improve,

We never claimed that we wanted the Mane Six to be in their 20s, it's more of an accusation and assumption than anything. Most of us believe that they are in their early 20s, the key word: most.

alright,

besides me does anyone else think they could be  or at least started in their teen age years on the show?

I always thought they were high school years,

and Sense Equistrian girls is canon,

Megan said so,

I'd say i was right.

Because Lauren Faust comfirmed it.

I don't know what the hell you meant by "evil, ugly card." Does their age even affect the plot that much? No. It's nothing to get worked up over.

Each of the main six have jobs. As such, they're going to have to be at least 18, but with maturity levels of younger children. 

• Brohoof 8

because Rarity owns a shop. but that's all the reason i can come up with.

personally, i think their characters are shaped to be more mature then 16-ish.

And?

Seeing as how the show is aimed at .... (you get the idea)

why would that idea not make sense to the target audience or be unappealing?

Because Lauren Faust comfirmed it.

I don't know what the hell you meant by "evil, ugly card." Does their age even affect the plot that much? No. It's nothing to get worked up over.

Each of the main six have jobs. As such, they're going to have to be at least 18, but with maturity levels of younger children. 

the evil ugly card is calling it "a little girls show."

and yes the main six do have jobs

but what would a teen be doing in equistrain?

school seems only for grade school, out side of well,

ponies like twilight or specialty schools like the wonder bolts.

I think Lauren had said she designed all the characters to be past child-hood/teenager as far as social roles so she wouldn't have to deal with the kinds of plots those characters have with them. 

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

@@FNGRpony,because everybody (yes, even children) know that adult people own places and buildings. 

Mlp is set in a fantasy setting with castles,

(and trains, and sky scrapers cause it's a fantasy)

with that said why would that mean they have to be 20?

hell the teen titans own a super tower and their Teens it's in the show title.

1. Some of them own businesses

2. Most live alone in their own houses and even have private property

3. They don't have a curfew of any sort

4. There was at least 21 candles on dashies cake in pinkie pride. But this is debatable weather it's legit.

5. Some are confirmed to have finished school. Weather it be flight school or magic school or whatever.

6. Because it seems the most likely

And that whole "evil card" thing is a stupid and ridiculous point, it means nothing about their age. It doesn't matter what age we WANT them to be, but there's a lot of evidence supporting them being at the very least 18.

• Brohoof 6

xgcdcg.jpg

Sig courtesy of Weirdokitterz

My OC: http://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/sole-r3207

alright,

besides me does anyone else think they could be  or at least started in their teen age years on the show?

I always thought they were high school years,

and Sense Equistrian girls is canon,

Megan said so,

I'd say i was right.

The thing is, just because it's canon does not mean it will interfere with the show in any way. Secondly, they don't have to be in their teenage years because when the show first started they were already in their early 20s. So, you are not right.

An evil, ugly card?

The show is enjoyable for everyone, and that's the way it's supposed to be, but it's primary audience is still younger children and one of it's main purposes is to sell toys to those younger children. That doesn't mean the show has to be of lesser quality to older viewers, but it does mean that there are going to be qualities that reflect it being a 'little girls cartoon', and also perhaps a fair number of unexplainable or inconsistent elements with things like world-building and such.

As for the Mane 6's ages... it's just highly likely that they are pretty young, though perhaps that's not totally provable; it's just the easiest assumption to make and is also in most cases the one that makes the most sense. Where would you put their ages? It's a bit hard to imagine them in their 30s.

Edited by Vixor

I'm going to assume that their age and what is legal depending upon age is different from our human perspective on the matter, considering that the show would technically be taking place in an "alternate universe" Age likely means less to them and the restrictions caused by age likely don't apply there.

post-17140-0-50506500-1386712542.png

Signature by Pink Mist!

I don't need them to be twenty or above, they just seem to be. Twilight lives on her own running a library, which presumably lends books to the public. Fluttershy lives on her own and cares for animals. Pinkie Pie rents a room above the Cake's store. Rainbow lives on her own in a cloud house somewhere over ponyville, and Rarity and Applejack both have their own buisinesses.

Typically these sorts of things are not something a 16 year old would engage in but this is a different world. Also I'd like to mention that there physical age may be whatever it is, as Granny Smith has been shown to be "Hundreds of years old" so we don't know how their biology works. But their mental age seems like someone in their twenties, because they seem to still have a lot of growing to do, but they are mature and independent.

• Brohoof 3

Hi, my name is Sarah, and I'm here to say,

I'm gonna rock the world, just you wait for the day.

Your name may be on posters that they hang out for some nights

But my name will be on billboards babe, 'cause I'll be up in lights.

Idk, i guess just because they all live alone maybe.

nobody really offically stated they "Have" to be in their 20's, people just think of them around that age due to a bunch of predictions and assumptions.

But really it doesn't matter, you can think of them as whatever age you can, there is no cannon age, so thus nothing is really official.

Ru8aWjK.png

Thanks to Gone Airbourne for the awesome sig!

My Oc's,

Ponysona, Bella

Why does their age even matter? How many characters age anyway? Most of them say whatever age they are, and never grow older, or change. So, an age is really irrelevant.

76561198044017234.png
Feel free to add me on steam if you want to play something. Also don't be afraid to message and talk to me. I've had bad luck when I start a conversation, so I more then likely won't start one.

It is assumed they are between the ages of 18-25 because that is exactly how they are treated in the show. Yes we haven't seen any high school's in Equestria but that dosen't mean they don't exist in that universe it only means we haven't seen them. Rarity owns her own boutique, Applejack runs the family farm along with her older brother Big Macintosh and it is implied that the mane 6 are all close in age so it is clear that they are intended to be adults, granted young adults but still adults.

Well in one of the episodes of season 4, Rainbow's cake had 21 candles on it, which is likely to mean she's that old.  Plus, they have jobs and Rarity owns her own shop, that's usually not something a teenager does...

Whatever their age may be, their personalities, traits, and characteristics are all easily associated with those of a young adult. They are self-standing, independent (to a point), and have a certain degree of maturity that show that they are at least no longer children.

Not to mention, we actually HAVE children to put them beside. The Mane Six and ponies of their stature stand significantly taller and more mature than ponies like the CMC and the like.

Their age is more than open for debate, but early 20s really makes the most sense for them.

post-18790-0-43077600-1386688258.png
Awesome signature made by Tromino.

My OC: http://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/pitch-light-r4599

Want to join a romantic crossover RP to celebrate the Month of Love?: http://mlpforums.com/topic/86811-the-multiversal-matchmaking-corner-romance/