Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Are MLP Hooves the Same As Their Coat?

Bird Mom

I always found it odd. It's not all the time, but mostly with the mares, or female ponies. Take Derpy for example:

derpy_hooves_by_memershnick-d5wpm59.png

See? Her hooves are the same color as her coat. Same with the Mane 6. Why do you think this is?

• Brohoof 1

I feel it's an expression of artistic style more than anything. FiM's style tends toward keeping designs simple and close to flat shading and basic geometric forms whenever possible. There isn't a great deal in the way of visual noise because many of the characters, objects, and scenes aren't drawn with very much detail, and this is one of the defining aspects of show's style. Try to make textures and shapes too close to reality, and you run the risk of running into uncanny valley territory.

Colouring the hooves "properly" is one of those things that I imagine is done sparingly because it adds a substantial number of shapes to the basic pony design. The exception that's made for some stallions (who are already relatively rare to begin with) may be a status symbol or otherwise a denotation that they're particularly important ponies - though this begins to break down when you consider Big Mac is not exactly a high-class pony. Which brings me to another idea... keep reading... ;)

For an in-universe explanation, try this: the natural growth of the ponies' coats covers their feet/hooves, unlike real-life horses. It would make sense for some morphological differences between MLP's and the real world's equines to exist, and we've seen such differences many times already in features such as eye positioning, facial muscles, and snout shape. For stallions, it may be an expression of masculinity to regularly trim the hair that covers the hooves. This may, to some degree, parallel the the custom in our world that males keep the hair on their heads relatively short compared to women - although short male hairdos are much more commonplace on Earth than short "hoof hair" in Equestria. Perhaps the need to constantly express masculinity isn't nearly as ingrained into pony society as it is in ours. :P

• Brohoof 8

For an in-universe explanation, try this: the natural growth of the ponies' coats covers their feet/hooves, unlike real-life horses.

But then the hooves wouldn't be shiny and able to reflect ponies such as Rarity when she's having a vain moment. Also, they would have no grip. I think it's just an artistic decision to not to make the hooves stand out.

• Brohoof 3

To me, if you look at Big Mac and Shiny, there hooves are the same color. What we see is a different color fur like what a Real Life Clydesdale would have, hence the larger stallions have this feature.

My two cents.

I tend to think of it as one of those things you just have to accept. I find no huge issue with it. It's probably just the preference of the animators.

Edited by Sound of Madness

Its a stylistic choice.  FIM has a very simplistic character design, so I'm guessing they want smoother lines.  It fits for other characters like Big Mac, because he's not a main character and he has a design that matches his hooves.

• 7 years later...