Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if Derpy was never spotted?

inactive lol get mem

I wouldn't have become a brony I gave the show a chance after seeing #SaveDerpy. At least I would have become a brony later maybe. Other then that I guess we just wouldn't have Derpy. I'm glad we have her though.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

My question is this: Was she considered klutzy before the animation was put into the show permanently? If so then she could have still been the same pony just without the derp eyes. I never was entirely sure if the klutziness came from the animation mistake or if it was always planned to be there.

Playing Where's Waldo with Derpy is still fun though.

• Brohoof 1

She wouldn't be Derpy, she'd be just a generic background Pegasus.

More then that, they would have probably fixed the error or never repeated it deliberately!

We would have no Derpy D:!

Season 2 was so much fun trying to spot her :)!

More then that, they would have probably fixed the error or never repeated it deliberately!

We would have no Derpy D:!

Season 2 was so much fun trying to spot her :)!

Well, the fanbase might of made her something still. They've done it with about a dozen other background ponies, so who knows what Derpy would've been.

Well, think of it in the matter of history. On 10-10-10, the first episode of MLP aired. An anonymous user by the name of "Dr. Foreigner" would soon post the pony he found in the background on popular 4chan. He would ask people to see if they can see what he saw. Only a few did notice at first, before it became more noted, and conversation turned to stuff like "she's in the back. The one with the 'derp' eyes." This would later name that pony "derpy." Lauren Faust would recognise the fans reaction to this pony, and tell the animators to cross the eyes on porpoise. Fan art would soon be made, followed by videos, fan fics, merch, etc.

Now consider that day didn't happen. Here's what most likely would have happened:

On 10-10-10 the first episode of MLP aired 4chan will talk about the show, and many will watch it. Dr. Foreigner would not be remembered over 3 years from that day. Considring not many noticed the pony in the first place, it would be some time before the pony was spotted. The phrase "the one with the 'derp' eyes" never would have been said, and the ponie's name would exist today with the name "Ditzy Doo." Lauren Faust would not notice the fans talking of this characters, and the eyes would stay normal for future episodes, for Faust would not talk to her animators on the subject. Very few fan art would be made, for she still would exist, just not as a famous pony. Stories may exist, but very different than we could imagine. She would have a totally different story, for she would be a different mare. Later, can't say when, but one who "Knows Their Meme," like myself, would watch the first episode again for fun. They being talented in the feild of memes, and spotting back stuff, would notice the crossed eyes, and post it on the site "My Little Brony," but she would only be a short time meme with few pictures, for it is to late and she would be known as Ditzy Doo. And who knows what the Brony Symbol would be today?

Oh, and you would'nt have wrote this thread either:)

Edited by PinkiePieJr

She'd still have a fanbase.
Most background characters have a decent amount of fans.
See, people only like her far from the others, because she's unique. 
Don't lie, if no one had made that error, she wouldn't have been as popular.
Also, it has a lot to do with the bandwagon factor.

To be honest, I wouldn't really care, I find she's over rated.
Would you treat a person in real life with crossed eyes, the same way you treat Derpy?

Perish the thought! I actually can't imagine the fandom without Derpy; she's such a huge part of it.

you make Derpy sad  sad_derpy_by_anitech-d4f0ad8.png

She'd still be here, she'd just have a different name, and not have crossed eyes.

Edited by Dusty
  • Brohoof 1

She'd still have a fanbase.

Most background characters have a decent amount of fans.

See, people only like her far from the others, because she's unique. 

Don't lie, if no one had made that error, she wouldn't have been as popular.

Also, it has a lot to do with the bandwagon factor.

She'd still be here, she'd just have a different name, and not have crossed eyes.

But it's not the same.  Derpy is Derpy because she's Derpy, and without her derpy-ness she wouldn't be Derpy!

Than we would have another background pony to make a big deal out of, like Lyra or that cyclops pony. XD
She is only a background pony with an amazing story, so I guess that's why people like her so much. 

Honestly, I just think the derp eyes just add on to her adorableness. Even if she didn't have derped eyes, I still like her from what the fandom has made from her. A muffin loving, kind hearted mailmare. 

More on topic, I would of found out about her eventually. Wither or not she'd still have the same background is a whole nother story. If she was just another generic background pony with no story (canon or fandon) and didn't have some kind of unique trace, I probably wouldn't be a fan.