Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

More Gender Options!

Eloquence

As I was joining this site (about an hour ago, actually), I noticed that there are only three options available for "gender"; "male", "female", and "prefer not to say". I think that it is important to give genderqueer bronies the option to choose their correct gender, so that they feel comfortable and welcome in this community (which I do believe is all about making people feel welcome, is it not?).

I would suggest either turning the gender box into something where you can just write in whatever you'd like, or in addition to the choices currently available adding

Gender-fluid

Pangender

Agender

Trans M/Trans F (maybe, I would defer to the transbronies to determine whether or not this option would be appreciated)

It's Complicated (because sometimes it is)

and a silly response or two for good measure (see the options for gigapause.com accounts and you'll know what I'm talking about)

Much thanks for taking the time to read this! I hope that my humble opinions will result in making a more inclusive community :D

• Brohoof 8

(edited)

I don't think people should be able to enter in whatever they want into the gender field because that could cause confusion, but I definitely agree that more options for gender, such as the ones you proposed, should be added. We definitely want everyone to feel welcome here, regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, beliefs, race, sex, and so on. :)

I just checked in the administration control panel, and I'm not entirely sure whether or not this would be difficult to add. However, an admin would have to give the final say on whether or not we should do this.

Edited by SCS
Updated information.
  • Brohoof 4

It might be a nice option.

Though, I would like 'Not Telling' to be changed to 'Changeling'.

Because, y'know, they don't have genders.

• Brohoof 3

I don't think people should be able to enter in whatever they want into the gender field because that could cause confusion, but I definitely agree that more options for gender, such as the ones you proposed, should be added. We definitely want everyone to feel welcome here, regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, beliefs, race, sex, and so on. :)

I just checked in the administration control panel, and I'm not entirely sure whether or not this would be difficult to add. However, an admin would have to give the final say on whether or not we should do this

Thank you so much! I'm sorry to increase your workload, but I do feel this is very important and would be a great addition to the site!

• Brohoof 1

I dont get it.. there is only 3 genders in the world.. Male, Female, and Transgendered (both).. what the hell are the other ones? im thinking those you've mentioned are only sexuality's..

(edited)

I dont get it.. there is only 3 genders in the world.. Male, Female, and Transgendered (both).. what the hell are the other ones? im thinking those you've mentioned are only sexuality's..

That's not what transgender is.

A transgendered person is usually, for example, someone who is born with the biological sex of a male but feels that they are a female and identifies as one (aka MTF, male-to-female, transwoman). And I don't mean to turn this into a debate, but no, there are not only three genders in the world. There is a very diverse community of genders and sexualities. 

I'm all for this though  :D

Edited by PinkiePride
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

In my opinion, the very most I would do is add an "Other" option, even then, it would be a lie of who you really are, stating who you feel you are meant to be.

This should be included in your profile description, as your gender is your gender, not your sexual orientation or "bodily changes", as who you are born as cannot be changed artificially, it's a lie to community and personally makes me sick...

And no, I'm all for eliminating the gender barrier, letting people be with who they want to be with (rather than just because they are of the opposite or same sex). But when you feel the need to change in such a manor, for absolutely no reason other than wanting to, there is no definite solution to do so.

Claim who you want to be, but if you're a trans-gender, this is a trait, not actual gender.

Of course this isn't my decision... So if you get what you want, I'll give you a derp face, here's a complimentary one  :muffins:

Yup... plenty more where that came from...

Edited by FeBreezie

In my opinion, the very most I would do is add an "Other" option, even then, it would be a lie of who you really are, stating who you feel you are meant to be.

This should be included in your profile description, as your gender is your gender, not your sexual orientation or "bodily changes", as who you are born as cannot be changed artificially, it's a lie to community and personally makes me sick...

And no, I'm all for eliminating the gender barrier, letting people be with who they want to be with (rather than just because they are of the opposite or same sex). But when you feel the need to change in such a manor, for absolutely no reason other than wanting to, there is no definite solution to do so.

Claim who you want to be, but if you're a trans-gender, this is a trait, not actual gender.

Of course this isn't my decision... So if you get what you want, I'll give you a derp face, here's a complimentary one  :muffins:

Yup... plenty more where that came from...

Oh, goodness... Well, I do appreciate that you will not actively oppose this change, but I do wish you would reconsider your stance. I believe what you are thinking of in saying that people are born a certain way is biological sex, and in fact even that does not come in strictly male or female, as people are born intersex, and as a result have a body that is between male and female and are not even chromosonally one or the other (as in are XXY instead of XX or XY). Actually, intersex would be a really great gender option to add!

Gender on the other hand is controlled by your mind and is a matter of perception, sometimes not relating to any reassignment surgery at all. Many people see themselves as completely female while having a biologically male body, and vice versa. This is all biologically controlled by the brain, not by what someone 'wants'.

And as far as you being upset by the idea of people identifying as certain genders goes, I have to wonder why you would have any issue with this. Gender is really no more than an arbitrary title, and the sort of body they possess underneath that title is completely unimportant unless you are involved with them sexually, and even then it is no more than a matter of preference.

There, there's your lesson on gender for today kids :P

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

As I was joining this site (about an hour ago, actually), I noticed that there are only three options available for "gender"; "male", "female", and "prefer not to say". I think that it is important to give genderqueer bronies the option to choose their correct gender, so that they feel comfortable and welcome in this community (which I do believe is all about making people feel welcome, is it not?).

I would suggest either turning the gender box into something where you can just write in whatever you'd like, or in addition to the choices currently available adding

Gender-fluid

Pangender

Agender

Trans M/Trans F (maybe, I would defer to the transbronies to determine whether or not this option would be appreciated)

It's Complicated (because sometimes it is)

and a silly response or two for good measure (see the options for gigapause.com accounts and you'll know what I'm talking about)

Much thanks for taking the time to read this! I hope that my humble opinions will result in making a more inclusive community :D

I'd love a transgender option. I don't feel completely comfortable identifying fully as a female yet and so having this option would be the best of both worlds. You might want to use MTF and FTM instead of just F and M as it gets rid of confusion :3

UPDATE: I just wanted to add after reading FeBreezie's post that gender is something that can be fluid and that can change at any given time. Gender is a social construct and is entirely dependent on how you were taught your gender. Sex is what cannot be changed, sex is the biological aspect of a human which determines if they are male or female and this cannot be changed as it is hard coded in your genes. 

TL:DR = Gender is taught and fluid, sex is ascribed and set in stone.

Edited by MLPForums Phanact
  • Brohoof 2

Oh, goodness... Well, I do appreciate that you will not actively oppose this change, but I do wish you would reconsider your stance. I believe what you are thinking of in saying that people are born a certain way is biological sex, and in fact even that does not come in strictly male or female, as people are born intersex, and as a result have a body that is between male and female and are not even chromosonally one or the other (as in are XXY instead of XX or XY). Actually, intersex would be a really great gender option to add!

Gender on the other hand is controlled by your mind and is a matter of perception, sometimes not relating to any reassignment surgery at all. Many people see themselves as completely female while having a biologically male body, and vice versa. This is all biologically controlled by the brain, not by what someone 'wants'.

And as far as you being upset by the idea of people identifying as certain genders goes, I have to wonder why you would have any issue with this. Gender is really no more than an arbitrary title, and the sort of body they possess underneath that title is completely unimportant unless you are involved with them sexually, and even then it is no more than a matter of preference.

There, there's your lesson on gender for today kids :P

I've studied some biology... while these traits ARE both present (causing the more feminine characteristics as well  ;)) A classification as such is still within the mind as you clearly admitted, because 51% male is still male.

There is no "arbitrary" titles, these are facts, we're all still human, and trust me, as an asexual, I have no bias. I once thought of how it would be like for everyone to be a single gender, we would still look exactly the same, female/male qualities, only everyone can be with who they want to be with. But is that what you are doing? No, you're just misleading people by giving yourself a title in order to have them change their perspective on you. It's like saying "Look, I'm different because I have a dress on"

How hard is it to write "I'm transsexual" on your profile anyways? And listing your true natural gender, if you don't want to, just put "prefer not to say" and just write the transsexual part in your profile.

At first my mind exploded with indignation upon reading this, since I'm a hardcore, set-in-stone traditionalist orientated on family values. Then I've pushed its outrage aside, read some definitions and thought things through :P

How I feel in end: Although it's true that this community is all about equality and stuff (you know what I mean), I'm not sure if I see a reason to promenade with one's gender/sexuality. Nobody (I hope) here thinks that there's anything wrong with these kind of attitudes. But then again... if I was a parent and saw my child attend website with such detailed, colorful descriptions of basic info, I'd get scared of the shows' audience at once (read the first sentence to understand why :) ).

Adding a third, more general option (or fourth, w/e) probably wouldn't hurt, but I guess details are better to be placed in profile descriptions. It's like... trying to say that "Location" should be expanded as well, because I want to describe how nice my home is and how forest growing beside it provides food and shelter for poor animals :]

To Febreezie, I don't intend on dragging this out any further, as I have learned that minds cannot be changed over the internet, but I am terribly confused by your "51% male" comment. I mean, you yourself said that biological sex is rigid, which means that, when you get down to the basics of it, biologically speaking a person can only be XX (biologically female), XY (biologically male), or XXY (quite obviously neither). Do elaborate, if you'd like, for I do not understand at all what you are trying to communicate.

• Brohoof 1

At first my mind exploded with indignation upon reading this, since I'm a hardcore, set-in-stone traditionalist orientated on family values. Then I've pushed its outrage aside, read some definitions and thought things through :P

How I feel in end: Although it's true that this community is all about equality and stuff (you know what I mean), I'm not sure if I see a reason to promenade with one's gender/sexuality. Nobody (I hope) here thinks that there's anything wrong with these kind of attitudes. But then again... if I was a parent and saw my child attend website with such detailed, colorful descriptions of basic info, I'd get scared of the shows' audience at once (read the first sentence to understand why :) ).

Adding a third, more general option (or fourth, w/e) probably wouldn't hurt, but I guess details are better to be placed in profile descriptions. It's like... trying to say that "Location" should be expanded as well, because I want to describe how nice my home is and how forest growing beside it provides food and shelter for poor animals :]

I'd like to disagree with this. I don't think this is promenading one's gender about at all just by allowing a human being to correctly identify themselves to others. 

Facebook have very recently updated their gender specification field to include a whole range of sensible options. No one is asking for explicit details to be able to added that field but just simple options like Transgender, Gender-Fluid etc. so that users are able to create profiles that reflect them rather than reflecting 10 percent of them because the fields do not allow correct information about themselves.

Comparing it to describing your location is kind of insulting and looking at it like that, we wouldn't need boxes for age as that is descriptive and unnecessary and could easily be placed in your profile. If you're allowed to have a completely pointless Personal Motto that serves no purpose at all other than being descriptive of yourself then I do not understand why more gender options cannot be added so that users are able to correctly identify themselves.

• Brohoof 3

Guys, let's keep this thread on topic. Some discussion of the topic of gender is fine since that is core to the purpose of this thread, but replies should still involve the suggestion being proposed. Debating these issues would be best done in a relevant Debate Pit thread.

• Brohoof 2

This thread was created to suggest the addition of more gender options. Debate over the definition of gender and one's ability to choose it, and whatever distinctions there may be between gender and sex, fall beyond the scope of this thread. Several posts have been removed following SCS' post that weren't conducive to the topic. If anyone has any more suggestions as for what should be added to the list of gender options, please share them.

• Brohoof 4

• Agender
  • Androgyne
  • Androgynous
  • Bigender
  • Cisgender
  • Cisgender Female
  • Cisgender Male
  • Gender Fluid
  • Gender Nonconforming
  • Gender Questioning
  • Gender Variant
  • Genderqueer
  • Intersex
  • Neither
  • Neutrois
  • Non-binary
  • Other
  • Pangender
  • Transgender MTF or FTM
  • Two-Spirit

Taken from the list of Facebook custom gender options with all the duplicates removed.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

To condense that magnificent and lofty list there, I would say that "other" is an absolute must! Gender-Nonconforming would also be useful, as it covers a broad range of genders that do not fall within the binary. MTF/FTM would also be nice, if you were to add a third. If I had to 'rank' them (which seems odd but I suppose if I have to pick), those would be my top 3, in that order. Any others could be added at your discretion. 

It might be a nice option.

Though, I would like 'Not Telling' to be changed to 'Changeling'.

Because, y'know, they don't have genders.

As I stated previously regarding this post (though that post is now gone), Changeling would also be a potential alternative to Other or Genderqueer as it is both clever and very non-controversial, though if you were to go that route you should also consider changing Male and Female to Stallion and Mare, as having serious names for those within the binary and un-serious ones for those outside of it may feel insulting to those outside the binary.

(To Artemis- I don't know what 'approving' is but um thanks for doing it I think?)

Edited by ScarletRose

(edited)

• Agender
  • Androgyne
  • Androgynous
  • Bigender
  • Cisgender
  • Cisgender Female
  • Cisgender Male
  • Gender Fluid
  • Gender Nonconforming
  • Gender Questioning
  • Gender Variant
  • Genderqueer
  • Intersex
  • Neither
  • Neutrois
  • Non-binary
  • Other
  • Pangender
  • Transgender MTF or FTM
  • Two-Spirit

Taken from the list of Facebook custom gender options with all the duplicates removed.

Now maybe I'm just not well versed enough in this stuff, but...

1)  I'm not sure what most of that stuff is supposed to mean.

2)  Maybe there's some special semantics behind each and every term, but honestly I think some of the choices look a tad redundant.

3)  I'm all for allowing people to express their gender or whatever, but if you ask me there's a threshold on "list length" where it just becomes confusing for most people.

4)  What in the world is "two-spirit" and how in the world does it relate to gender?

I really don't want to get off topic or try to derail this into a debate or anything, but all this stuff is honestly pretty confusing.

Edited by Gyruss
  • Brohoof 1

This is just the Facebook list of genders with all the duplicates removed. I'm not suggesting we add all of these but these are the main ones that we should consider adding. I'm sure 'other' would suffice for quite a lot as the majority of people will just be Transgender or gender fluid.

• Brohoof 1

I'm thinking "other" should be good enough to start with.  Maybe add a few more as needed, but I don't think this place need anything as expansive as Facebook's list.

2)  Maybe there's some special semantics behind each and every term, but honestly I think some of the choices look a tad redundant.

Little from column A, a little from column B, it looks like.

4)  What in the world is "two-spirit" and how in the world does it relate to gender?

As I understand it, it comes from a number of Native American traditions where transgender people were seen as having both a male and female spirit.  So yeah.