Jan animations shut down by hasbro/C&D

M'aiq the Liar

WHAT. THE. HAY. This is such bull, we ALL know that Jan followed all the copyright rules, giving Hasbro credit and whatnot, BUT REALLY this makes me so angry, why didnt they do this to the people at Silly Filly Studios, or the PONIES Anthology team? Why not episode reactions? WHY NOT EVERY FLIPPIN THING ON THE INTERNET. Its bull, and I believe that something honestly needs to be done. I want Jan back.

UVHLHKB.png

"Death is the sound of distant thunder at a picnic."

Storm Crasher

Banner by 0blivion

I don't understand how C&D applies to something not for profit. I wish Hasbro would snuff out some of the terrible things like Tiarawhy. Shutting down Molestia was a step in the right direction, but it's a shame Friendship of Witchcraft still exists. I need to find out how to contact Hasbro's lawyers and feed them a few names.

People like you are the reason Jananimations got shut down.

If you have a problem with what cloppers like me do, IGNORE US.

People like you are the reason Jananimations got shut down.

If you have a problem with what cloppers like me do, IGNORE US.

I don't have a problem with cloppers; I have a problem with that bitch. She pisses me off.

Original Fiction: http://mlpforums.com/topic/69008-hawkmoths-fiction/

לְעֵת תָּכִין מַטְבֵּחַ מִצָּר הַמְנַבֵּחַ.
אָז אֶגְמוֹר בְּשִׁיר מִזְמוֹר חֲנֻכַּת הַמִּזְבֵּחַ.

I just learned about this. It sucks so much.

I don't really care about Molestia. I disliked it immensely, and it definitely was NOT something that I see Hasbro wanting to be remotely associated with. However getting rid of it is still a disruption of free expression. And it's FAR more insulting with things like Double Rainboom (made as a school project) and Button Adventures. Both of those things are perfectly harmless.

But I just heard it brought up.

Jan's stuff wasn't offensive, but it was so good and so convincing, that it could be mistaken as official content.

Signature_Forums.png.dd2a654d7faa42c09ea06c44865a3c2a.png

Check out my artwork any time: http://shadobabe.deviantart.com/
"OMG; You are such a troll. XD" - PathfinderCS

Ugh, why does Hasbro have to ruin our fun? :(  And I was looking forward to Pony Rock Anthem, too. >_>

Dude, that video!!! xD

I didn't even know that existed. xD

I agree, I was also looking forward to Pony Rock Anthem :/

But...maybe Jan will pull a rabbit from his hat and somehow release it with Hasbro's permission? ^^"

post-8308-0-57732400-1422393202.png

While I am sad to see button mash go, there could be a better reason. Maybe they are planning to bring button into the show and don't want his character to have a personality demanded by fans.

I don't have a problem with cloppers; I have a problem with that bitch. She pisses me off.

I hate people who hate the brony fandom too. Dosen't mean I want to destroy things they like making.

Dude, that video!!! xD

I didn't even know that existed. xD

I agree, I was also looking forward to Pony Rock Anthem :/

But...maybe Jan will pull a rabbit from his hat and somehow release it with Hasbro's permission? ^^"

Maybe. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.:/

This is a cowardly move by Hasbro. An illegal move.

While you could make a strong first amendment case about these matters the unfortunate truth is with the way patent and copyright laws are written Hasbro legally has to meet a bare minimum standard of "protecting" its patent or else it will lose it completely. That dosen't make this situation suck any less if anything it makes it all the more infuriating, but laws like this existed long before Hasbro even existed. The only solution as I have said many times will change the law, Hasbro has been as lenient as they legally can be while still being able to hold onto to their patents. I am not saying they are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, but I am still glad they have been so lenient compared to most other companies.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.:/

Nor will I.

The chances are very slim after all.

Since Jan is trying to stay on Hasbro's good side and all that.

• Brohoof 1

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

BTW, all the permission Jan needed.

that's the excerpt i was looking for.

Umm....I'm pretty sure Jan Animations....is a dude...

Yo! I'm Shenron00, but you can call me “Shen” if you want!

img-3351585-1-TYmaDVk.png

Thanks to WheatleyCore for the sig! BTW, yes, I do realize that's Carnage and not Shenron.

While you could make a strong first amendment case about these matters the unfortunate truth is with the way patent and copyright laws are written Hasbro legally has to meet a bare minimum standard of "protecting" its patent or else it will lose it completely. That dosen't make this situation suck any less if anything it makes it all the more infuriating, but laws like this existed long before Hasbro even existed. The only solution as I have said many times will change the law, Hasbro has been as lenient as they legally can be while still being able to hold onto to their patents. I am not saying they are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, but I am still glad they have been so lenient compared to most other companies.

so what you are saying is they were essentially forced to shut down jan animations or else they would lose their copyright to the franchise?

so what you are saying is they were essentially forced to shut down jan animations or else they would lose their copyright to the franchise?

That's also exactly what I've been saying a million times already xD

Hasbro did what they had to do, or else they could have lost MLP.

I'm sure it was hard for them, but as responsible business men and women of Hasbro should, they did what was overall best for MLP.

As unfortunate as it is, i could see that.

Edited by looking glass
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah I find this news terrible. If there is one thing that grinds my gears it's how companies can shut down anything due to copyright even if it counts as fair use. Good thing is I heard someone at Hasbro who is close to the fans i looking into this. Who knows, maybe someone at Hasbro just didn't get the memo that stuff like that is okay.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah I find this news terrible. If there is one thing that grinds my gears it's how companies can shut down anything due to copyright even if it counts as fair use. Good thing is I heard someone at Hasbro who is close to the fans i looking into this. Who knows, maybe someone at Hasbro just didn't get the memo that stuff like that is okay.

I've also heard this, I know who you're talking about but I can't remember his name. ^^"

Hopefully we'll hear from him soon, I don't think he's said anything on the matter yet.

• Brohoof 1

Sorry guys, but while the 'Fair Use' section of the copyright laws could apply to half of the C&D Jan received, the second half of the C&D is on the trademark laws which does not have a Fair Use clause. And it's the trademark laws that have the 'have to prove that you are aggressively protecting' clause.

This is part of the problem, there are three different groups of laws that people are getting mixed up; Copyright© law, Trademark™ law, and Patent® law. Each one of them *sounds* the same when you look at them from a mile up, but when you look closer they've got different rules with different criteria. Unethical use of this confusion is the stock-and-trade of a lot of legal firms.

• Brohoof 2

ConsoleSig4.png

Umm....I'm pretty sure Jan Animations....is a dude...

I was talking about Tiarawhy. I loved Jan Animations.

Original Fiction: http://mlpforums.com/topic/69008-hawkmoths-fiction/

לְעֵת תָּכִין מַטְבֵּחַ מִצָּר הַמְנַבֵּחַ.
אָז אֶגְמוֹר בְּשִׁיר מִזְמוֹר חֲנֻכַּת הַמִּזְבֵּחַ.