Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Changed opinions of anti-bronies

Forlong

We've all run into them at some point.  Anti-bronies!  People totally against our fandom.  But has anyone seen their opinions actually change.  They don't have to join the herd, just go from being against the fandom to being cool with it.

I'm posting this thread because of an experience with my dad.  He was originally against it, as you probably guessed.  Then he watched the BronyDoc on Netflix.

http://www.bronydoc.com/index.php#

This changed his opinion, as he came to a better understanding of the show and the fandom.  He apologized to me for negative things he said to me before.  I was so happy.  That was just wonderful.

He's also a Trekkie, so John de Lancie helped.

John_de_Lancie_casual.jpg

I guess once you show someone the Brony Documentary, maybe their opinions change on a dime.

The documentary knows how to show the positive side of the fandom. :D

Edited by Scootalove

I was a bit disappointed by the bronydoc. It was not bad per se, but I think it would've been better if they focused more on the creative bronies and the show itself rather than trying as much as possible to prove that it's okay for anyone to enjoy it regardless of gender/age.

I'm not saying that they should've removed all of the "proof" either but not make most of the documentary about it.

When it comes to the anti-bronies I've no idea what they're trying to accomplish.

• Brohoof 1

I've actually heard really negative things about the documentary, and that some friends of a friend who watched it came away from it thinking that the fandom was absolutely disgusting. I'm not sure I even want to try watching it myself, especially if all they do is go on and on about male bronies as if female bronies aren't a completely equal part of the fandom :(

As far as anti-bronies go, I've never seen anyone change their minds on the internet, not that I've ever seen anyone change their minds about anything on the internet, but my partner used to think bronies were gross and make jokes about them. He doesn't watch the show now, yet, but now he respects it and understands that most of the fandom is actually really nice and sweet. He's even agreed to watch an episode with me this weekend :D

Huh. I never actually watched the brony documentary...I was really, really worried that it was basically unintentionally targeted towards people who ALREADY watch the show, and just want to feel a bit self-serving and righteous.

If it's actually very good at easing people into it, freely stating from the beginning "Alright dudes, this trip is gonna seem kinda weird, but bear with me." then I may take a look into it, but I'm very skeptical.

My partner was a brony hater, in fact it felt like I was sharing some really deep secret like a secret penchant for murder and meth when I told him that I was a Brony, after I told him I got "Figures there had to be at least one thing wrong with you" but over time he walked in while I was watching MLP and soon he started to watch episodes with me, he wont admit that he likes he show to anyone else but me, but he loves the show and has a best pony (Pinkie Pie, reminds him of himself) and I think for him to take that step to actually watch the show with me was huge and very honorable, he still questions some aspects of the fandom and wont call himself a brony in public, but when its just him and I, he is a mega brony, one day he may be comfortable with leaving the closet but till then I am going to be patient with him and slowly introduce him to more in the fandom and maybe one day get him on here. 

In public, I actually pretend to be an anti-brony (I was once an anti-brony myself).  I would be scared to tell them that I'm a brony, let alone try to convert them or make them think positively about the bronies.  A couple of friends may be convertible (but I already suspect them of being closet bronies), but it would be bad in general to try to change an anti-brony's opinion.

By the way, how can I get my hands on this documentary?  I keep hearing it is a brony-making machine.

In public, I actually pretend to be an anti-brony (I was once an anti-brony myself).  I would be scared to tell them that I'm a brony, let alone try to convert them or make them think positively about the bronies.  A couple of friends may be convertible (but I already suspect them of being closet bronies), but it would be bad in general to try to change an anti-brony's opinion.

By the way, how can I get my hands on this documentary?  I keep hearing it is a brony-making machine.

I watched it on Netflix, it could still be there.