Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I thought they were pretty cool, I liked the Blue Angels reference, and I still think they're pretty interesting overall. I'd like to see Dash race against the more known Wonderbolts sometime.

The way Spitfire and Fleetfoot were depicted in Rainbow Falls was a writers' ill-choice; they took the quick and simple route of, 'eh, we'll just make them the antagonists of the episode, acting as Shadowbolts 2.0, testing Dash's loyalty', instead of bothering to keep their characters consistent and believable. They could have easily done the episode without villanizing them. Spitfire, anyway. We've never seen Fleetfoot before. Though, seeing as how she too was willing to move on at the end of the episode after agreeing with Spitfire, I'm just as likely to assume that she was unnecessarily villanized too. So, ergo, I don't consider that episode a fault on the characters, because they were -so- blatantly out of character that the writers themselves should have known better. Regardless, the characters at least owned up in the end, which is enough for me. Maybe not for a lot of other people, but as I've found, being a positive thinker in a sea of complaining fans who bitch about everything (and completely alter their perception of a character based on a single episode, knowing full well that different writers write each and every episode), I'm not most people :3

• Brohoof 3

I've noticed now she has flat out had to turn them down (in a sense) twice.

I'm not surprised she hasn't shown at least some disillusion about joining them. Especially when that day comes and she has to choose leaving her friends and ponyville to join them. Especially considering how they all reacted at the brief posibility of Rarity staying in Manehattan.

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 1

The way Spitfire and Fleetfoot were depicted in Rainbow Falls was a writers' ill-choice; they took the quick and simple route of, 'eh, we'll just make them the antagonists of the episode, acting as Shadowbolts 2.0, testing Dash's loyalty', instead of bothering to keep their characters consistent and believable. They could have easily done the episode without villanizing them. Spitfire, anyway. We've never seen Fleetfoot before. Though, seeing as how she too was willing to move on at the end of the episode after agreeing with Spitfire, I'm just as likely to assume that she was unnecessarily villanized too. So, ergo, I don't consider that episode a fault on the characters, because they were -so- blatantly out of character that the writers themselves should have known better. Regardless, the characters at least owned up in the end, which is enough for me. Maybe not for a lot of other people, but as I've found, being a positive thinker in a sea of complaining fans who bitch about everything (and completely alter their perception of a character based on a single episode, knowing full well that different writers write each and every episode), I'm not most people :3

The Wonderbolts weren't believable in Rainbow Falls? They absolutely were believable. Actually, they were more believable than their previous portrayals. That is exactly how I would picture the Wonderbolt's attitude to be like if they were real. They weren't out of character either. Look at previous episodes, where Spitfire ignored Rainbow Dash in Best Night Ever, and how she was tough on the new recruits in Wonderbolt's Academy.

• Brohoof 3

My opinion is explained by the scene in the show where the go to stop Spike and they end up getting caught extremely easily. Then after everything is said and done they puff out their chests and fly away like they've heroically saved everyone. They're just an extremely pompous preformace group who may have at one point been part of the military.

Though I still think Soarin is a baller when compared to the rest of them.

The Wonderbolts are a great addition to the show in being a reference to the Blue Angels and a goal for Rainbow Dash to work towards, however as characters they are portrayed far too inconsistently and frequently act dishonorable for such an elite military group, and the fact that Rainbow Dash is not yet a part of this team (though that may change soon), wrong as it may seem for the best flyer in Equestria, may actually work to her advantage and has lots of story potential.

• Brohoof 1

The Wonderbolts weren't believable in Rainbow Falls? They absolutely were believable. Actually, they were more believable than their previous portrayals. That is exactly how I would picture the Wonderbolt's attitude to be like if they were real. They weren't out of character either. Look at previous episodes, where Spitfire ignored Rainbow Dash in Best Night Ever, and how she was tough on the new recruits in Wonderbolt's Academy.

A: She was constantly being pulled away by rich party guests, literally, in The Best Night Ever :3 Had nothing to do with purposefully ignoring her. Why would she purposefully ignore her? She invited her to hang out with them, after all.

B: As a Drill Sergeant, it's her job to be a hard-ass on recruits at the Wonderbolt Academy, regardless who they are. In fact, according to many military bronies who have worked first-hand with Drill Sergeants, Spitfire wasn't even as tough as normal Drill Sergeants are, likely because of the TV show's rating for a younger audience. I too found her off-putting at first in that episode, but I learned as I went on that, it's a Drill Sergeants' job to be a hard-ass like that, and that calling Spitfire out as a bitch or whatever for that hard-assness demonstrates that, that person has no clue what drill sergeants do, and how they really are.

Thus, as I said, the writers' don fucked up in my opinion in Rainbow Falls in her portrayal.

But to each their own, my friend :D Thanks for sharing your opinion.

• Brohoof 5

I'd say that the Wonderbolts are very mature characters, who follow a strict code of conduct when it comes to having the best flyers who are worthy and ready to fly alongside them. I'll ignore how Rainbow Falls portrayed them, but it showed that even when you make mistakes you can still find a way to correct those mistakes and not lie as an attempt to make things better.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Nahh. Overall, they just kinda...bore me.

I dunno. They're...boring? I can't pay attention to them for the life of me, honestly. 

I compare them to Spike in that sense; I just find them to be boring characters I always forget about unless they're on-screen, which, makes me dead neutral on them. :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly? I don't really have an opinion on them, because it seems like their personality is all over the place. I should also point out, and people seem to not realize this, but the wonderbolts don't just consist of Spitfire, Soarin' and Fleetfoot, they are made up of multiple pegasi. You know, like, I don't know, The U.S. Military? Also Rainbow is going to be trying to get into them this saturday, and as my second favorite pony, I'm looking forward to it. maybe AKR will do a better job with Spitfire and Fleetfoot than Corey Powell.(I did like RF, and nobody will change my opinion on the episode.)

I know the WonderBolts are the equivalent to the human military, but they are shown as pretty much useless.

The times we have seen them take action, they failed pretty bad.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are still really cool.

I just don't like Soarin..

Don't any of them. Dash is too good for them.

And yet she still tries to impress them and wants to join them.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I guess I kinda lucked out choosing Soarin as my favorite WB, since at this point he's the only one I care about at this point. Though I remember reading from those MLP cards that Surprise is also a Wonderbolt so I'm hoping we get to see her in this weeks episode.

Don't care much for Fleetfoot, since RF is the only time she appeared in the show, but I'm worried about Spitfire. I liked her more after Wonderbolts Academy, but RF made her look worse, I want to write it off as shitty writing, but I need to see if she shows up in this weeks episode to see if that was the case

Edited by Megas75

I don't understand them all that much. The way Rainbow Dash puts them so high on a pedestal makes them seem like cool people who would help out in dire situations, but they are also sometimes depicted as major jerks, which makes it a little bit confusing for me. Plus multiple events have happened that would require their help, and they rarely show up.

I think the Wonderbolts fit the stereotypical professional athlete genre pretty well. In Wonderbolts Academy, Spitfire is so completely full of herself and is congratulatory of Lightning Dust and Rainbow Dash, despite how they treated their competitors. Thankfully, RD teaches them a lesson on what really matters. However, when they go to the race at Rainbow Falls, I think Spitfire kind of forgets why RD turned her down in the past (and so does RD, sadly). Thankfully, once again, RD comes to her senses and comes clean about the whole situation.

One thought is, how much does this situation affect the trust between Soarin and his fellow Wonderbolts?

I didn't really think much of the Wonderbolts in the beginning, because we didn't know much about them.

Now, I think they're pretty cool.

I never knew how many Spitfire fans there were in the fanbase, lol.

We need more episodes with them, and to hear more with the situation of Rainbow Dash being in the group.

I used to think the idea of them was actually pretty cool, and at first, they really were. Soarin seemed cool, and Spitfire was super hot chill. But then all of a sudden Spitfire turned into a tool and Fleetfoot followed that trend. Soarin is the only one who remained a decent character.

And now that RD continues to outclass them in either flying or morals, they've become a boring and tired idea that I could careless about. It's obvious Dashie will make her own Ponyville team, or something along those lines.

I like the wonderbolts, it's just that the "Rainbow Falls" episode made the wonderbolts look like complete asshats, but I think in the end even Spitfire learned a lesson from Rainbow Dash, plus as CD said, the writer's more than likely just took the easy way out of that one as well, instead of thinking of a more strategic way to create the episodes "problem". Though when it comes down to it I am sure the that they all have decent hearts and morals.

I used to think the idea of them was actually pretty cool, and at first, they really were. Soarin seemed cool, and Spitfire was super hot chill. But then all of a sudden Spitfire turned into a tool and Fleetfoot followed that trend. Soarin is the only one who remained a decent character.

And now that RD continues to outclass them in either flying or morals, they've become a boring and tired idea that I could careless about. It's obvious Dashie will make her own Ponyville team, or something along those lines.

I know man, the Wonderbolts do seem rather boring now that we actually know a little bit about them and the whole "unknown" factor has worn off making them a bit bland IMO.

(edited)

Personally, I loved the fact that the Wonderbolts were a little bit jerkish. I pointed this out when I reviewed the episode, and I still stand by what I said:

"I also really like that Spitfire and Fleetfoot both come off as somewhat of a pair of smug jerks. This is exactly what was missing from the episode Daring Don’t. Rainbow Dash is forced to confront the fact that her idols might not be as noble as she might wish them to be, and chooses not to emulate them. And even then, it’s kind of understandable… they think Rainbow is a better choice for their team, and being competitive as they are, and lacking the in-built need to be loyal, they naturally want her to fly with them. Despite their actions not being exactly noble, they do acknowledge that they were in the wrong, and praise Rainbow for making the right choice and sticking with her friends. It was a good dash of realism (pardon the pun) in a show that can be a bit too simplistic at times."

Btw, the comics made me a Fleetfoot fan.

Edited by SolarFox

i like soarin' especially, because he's by far the most down-to-earth and level-headed of the bunch, not to mention the outright friendliest of the team by far. spitfire has grown a lot as a character and fleetfoot....well she's just there :/