Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are American sports so boring?

Rarity Paige Belle

It may be difficult for someone who isn't already into the sport to understand, but baseball is more about the tension in-between the action than it is about the action itself. A large portion of the excitement can be derived from waiting for the deciding moment: Will the pitcher or the hitter win the duel? Action and movement are definitely a part of the game, but I'm personally drawn into the dynamics which aren't readily apparent. Baseball is exciting because its action represents the release of mounting tension in any given situation.

• Brohoof 4

Blasphemy!

Tis football, (soccer) that does put me to sleep.

But seriously, I am very specific with sports. I hate both forms of football. I am a fan of baseball, hockey, and sometimes basketball.

It may be difficult for someone who isn't already into the sport to understand, but baseball is more about the tension in-between the action than it is about the action itself. A large portion of the excitement can be derived from waiting for the deciding moment: Will the pitcher or the hitter win the duel? Action and movement are definitely a part of the game, but I'm personally drawn into the dynamics which aren't readily apparent. Baseball is exciting because its action represents the release of mounting tension in any given situation.

Took the words right out of my mouth, :lol:

OT: However, there are some sports which are just boring, like Golf and Basketball (too an extent).  Baseball, is pretty much what Cap. said.  Its a sport of tension in-between action, yet its exciting, :).   If you really want to see a good American Sport............watch Football.  Its so intense, :D.

I don't like baseball and nascar at all. I only watch basketball when it's towards the end and the teams are neck and neck. I do enjoy American football though.

Everyone enjoys and dislikes different sports for different reasons.

I hate sports in general. Like in America, the fat nonathletic adults watch football try to push being athletic on kids, who really don't give two ships on the sport. Only in 'Murika

I'm an American, and I'm here to say Baseball and Basketball are INSANELY BORING. Baseball is only enjoyable if you're drunk (or at least that's what I've observed), and street B-Ball is far more enjoyable than the NBA. Lastly, Nascar, which I don't consider a sport but some people do so I'm mentioning it anyway, is only good for the last 25 laps. That's where all the action is. 

PS: American football is where it's at.  :P

I guess it's just culture.  As an American, I like American football ("football") and hockey.  Baseball, basketball, golf, NASCAR, etc. don't interest me though.  I'm not that much of a fan of European sports, in particular football ("soccer").  I think it's just that we have different ideas when we're raised.

Hockey is pretty interesting, I can see where the tension lies in that sport. I also have major respects for hockey players. I could never be one, and I was a linebacker in highschool. Hockey players aren't whiny, overpaid, crybabies like most pro sports players. Hockey players actually shed some blood for their paycheck. 

(edited)

From baseball to American football, nothing seems to happen for most of the game. Even NASCAR, which I can just about watch, is just cars going around a circuit with no skill required.

I feel the same way about NASCAR and I'm American. However, while I find soccer, or football as you in the U.K. call it, fun to play (I played it for 2 seasons, as well as countless recess periods in elementary school), I find it very dull to watch on television. I've tried several times. Once, a game lasted over an hour and neither team had scored a single goal. So boring sports are not limited to the United States, it seems.

I've also played baseball and going up to bat is never boring. It always produced excitement and a bit of nervousness.

Edited by NomDeSpite

I feel the same way about NASCAR and I'm American. However, while I find soccer, or football as you in the U.K. call it, fun to play (I played it for 2 seasons, as well as countless recess periods in elementary school), I find it very dull to watch on television. I've tried several times. So boring sports are not limited to the United States, it seems.

I've also played baseball and going up to bat is never boring. It always produced excitement and a bit of nervousness.

Don't get me wrong, the most boring game in the world is played in England. I mean whoever invented Cricket must have enjoyed torture!

Eh, I wouldn't say NASCAR doesn't require skill.

You're controlling a metal cage going 100+ mph, surrounded by 40 other metal cages going 100+ mph, while listening to your Crew Chief over your headset as you try to maneuver yourself to the front without wrecking. And you have to do this for an extended period of time with no breaks.

At the very least you need focus and endurance.

the most boring game in the world is played in England. I mean whoever invented Cricket must have enjoyed torture!

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that cricket is alot more brutal and hardcore than most people realize. Is this true? If so, I can't call it boring.

What sports does Princess Sunbutt consider stimulating?

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that cricket is alot more brutal and hardcore than most people realize. Is this true? If so, I can't call it boring.

What sports does Princess Sunbutt consider stimulating?

You're thinking of Rugby, which is American football for real men, being as they don't wear all that protection! Cricket is the ancestor of baseball, and the games literally go on for days! And the sports that I'm into? Football(soccer) and F1.

Yeah, I'm american and our sports put me to sleep. I will NEVER understand why people like them. For example, all I see when I watch football is at on of big guys tackling each other over a ball. Boring.

"The winning team shall be the first team that wins." :lol:

Actually I am wholly unfamiliar with the Hitchhikers Guide works, though some of my friends like them. So it couldn't have come from there. It was something I watched on T.V. I know television isn't very reliable but...isn't it legal in cricket to throw the ball at the batter?

• Brohoof 1

From baseball to American football, nothing seems to happen for most of the game. Even NASCAR, which I can just about watch, is just cars going around a circuit with no skill required.

Um... because not everyone has the same opinions as you? Also, since when is EU football interesting? Whole matches go by with no one scoring. Also US football players hit harder than rugby players. The protective gear creates a psychological effect that makes players think that they can withstand more punishment, so they dish more out. Players hit each other so hard that it causes brain damage. And how could you find Cricket interesting but Baseball boring? Also, what do you think of Basketball? That's fast-paced and high energy.

Not that I expect a real answer. This seems like a troll thread to take the piss out of Americans XD

Granted, I don't watch sports, but I can't sit idle and let some random limey insult my country's sports!

Though I'm more into Boxing and Hockey.

• Brohoof 1

"The winning team shall be the first team that wins." :lol:

Actually I am wholly unfamiliar with the Hitchhikers Guide works, though some of my friends like them. So it couldn't have come from there. It was something I watched on T.V. I know television isn't very reliable but...isn't it legal in cricket to throw the ball at the batter?

It would take a braver person than me to explain the rules of cricket. You could be a life long fan and still not understand the rules!

Um... because not everyone has the same opinions as you? Also, since when is EU football interesting? Whole matches go by with no one scoring. Also US football players hit harder than rugby players. The protective gear creates a psychological effect that makes players think that they can withstand more punishment, so they dish more out. Players hit each other so hard that it causes brain damage. And how could you find Cricket interesting but Baseball boring? Also, what do you think of Basketball? That's fast-paced and high energy.

Not that I expect a real answer. This seems like a troll thread to take the piss out of Americans XD

Granted, I don't watch sports, but I can't sit idle and let some random limey insult my country's sports!

Though I'm more into Boxing and Hockey.

Actually I think Cricket is the most boring game in the world!

I felt like looking up Cricket after reading Hitchhiker's Guide, but then I gave up after trying to understand the rules and watch a game on YouTube.

Dude, how can you find watching football (real football, not soccer) boring? It's America's blood sport. I guess all sports are better enjoyed with a sufficient amount of beer coursing through your veins though.

Name one non-American sport that's boring.

Soccer. Already did. It's a bunch of pansies running around that lie on the ground and cry whenever they skin a knee.

• Brohoof 1

Name one non-American sport that's boring.

SOCCER

CRICKET

GOLF

F*CKING, LAWN TENNIS

I'm being facetious, of course.

Just highlighting the fact that every domain always thinks that the other's sports is boring, it's pretty funny seeing that.

Those sports ARE boring, though...

• Brohoof 3