1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

(edited)

They hadn't used the scanners yet.

But why would they remove the Princesses magic? That wouldn't make any sense. Did they not think "Hey, maybe something might go wrong. We might need someone powerful to use their magic"? And they aren't even competing and there's no way they would cheat for any of the competetors.

Edited by Rivendare

Then how did Twilight use her magic to light the torch for Spike?

The Disable spell is only done on Game Day. The opening day with the lighting of the torch did not use that device.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

But why would they remove the Princesses magic? That wouldn't make any sense. Did they not think "Hey, maybe something might go wrong. We might need someone powerful to use their magic"? And they aren't even competing and there's no way they would cheat for any of the competetors.

I disagree, princesses can cheat too. :P Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 2

Princesses can cheat too. :P

They physically can, but there's no chance that any of the princesses would cheat. It would be INCREDIBLY out of character if they did. And as I said, did they not think something like this might happen? It would make sense to have some of the most powerful ponies (i,e, princesses) keep their magic in case it's needed

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

They physically can, but there's no chance that any of the princesses would cheat. It would be INCREDIBLY out of character if they did. And as I said, did they not think something like this might happen? It would make sense to have some of the most powerful ponies (i,e, princesses) keep their magic in case it's needed

Yeah you're right.

...It can also be some kind of tradition to remove the magic of absolutely everypony.

Edited by Blobulle

I thought this episode was ok...

I'm a little disappointed because I was hoping the Equestria Games would be the main focus of this episode.

I was thinking that maybe in the future seasons of MLP that we would see the Equestria Games again.

Although, I do like seeing Spike episodes and to see that the Crystal ponies think of him as great/honorable (which he is) was a really nice touch.

I just don't know how I'll kill an entire weeks worth of time while waiting for the finale... It's gonna be a long week....

I was a bit tired when I watched the Equestrian Games but I still feel like this was a pretty good Spike episode which of course I didn't expect. But I was expecting to watch how well the teams do in the games. Oh well.

It's now official that Spike is the hero of the Crystal Empire even when he saved the day once again. Who knew that such a small dragon can do sooooooo much potential?

Although Spike singing the anthem was kinda cringing, this was still a very good episode. Can't wait for the big event next week! Hope you all get prepared for that!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

twilight didn't get any scenes with her brother! :angry: (where's a mad soarin emoticon when you need one!? I guess the fluttershy one will have to do....even if it's overdoing it...)

Edited by ggg-2

Another home run with another Spike episode, two in a row! Dave did not disappoint with this episode at all, now that he is on fire this season with only two episodes remaining, we shall remember this season for the good things.

It was good seeing Cadence and Twilight helping Spike with his problem, seeing Equestrian diplomats, and watching the teams go head-to-head in the events of the Equestria Games was entertaining to boot.

Going to give this episode, an 8.5/10. See it for yourself, Spike has earned his respect.

tumblr_lis12q5yqB1qzcq51o1_500.gif

• Brohoof 1

Whew, that was painful to watch. Spike choked pretty hard. And that singing was embarrassing.

Yay, we got to see Cadence. She's such a sweetheart.

Other than that, it was an ok episode.

I just saw the new episode. The first thing I loved about this episode was all the continuity with "Rainbow Falls" and "Flight to the Finish" with the CMC doing their routine,Mrs Harshwhinny being there, Rainbow,Bulk Biceps, and Fluttershy competing, and there was even continuity with the opening of season 3. It was interesting to find out that Spike is basically a Crystal Empire celebrity. It makes sense since he saved the Crystal Ponies from a horrible life. Spike's celebrity-like status makes me wonder why Spike was not invited to welcome Mrs Harshwhinny in "Games Ponies Play" but maybe they needed only ponies to be able to pull off that routine. I thought Spike was relatable in this episode. Sometimes I get really nervous on tests and stuff, and forget what to do. So I sympathized with Spike. It was almost heart wrenching to watch Spike try to sing the Cloudesdale anthem because you could feel how humiliating it was for him but it was also funny to watch the words Spike came up with(sounded like me in acting class btw LOL)and see the other ponies reactions like when a pony pulled his top hat down. It seems like Spike's fire breath stops working when he is too scared. It was sweet of Twilight to try to help Spike. I have to wonder what would have happened if Twilight had not stepped in to help him. It was sad to watch Spike get so down(guilt ridden,ashamed) on himself but I like this characterization of Spike instead of when he is self centered because it makes him so much more likable. We got to see Spike be humble after he saved the ponies from the ice cloud(as soon as I saw those ice arrows I knew there was going to be a problem from a misfire). It seems like Spike's fire power has gotten way stronger since "Dragon Quest" which may be a sign that he is growing up. We saw a hint of Spike's stronger fire breath in "Inspiration Manifestation" when he burnt the lock on the secret door. The way Spike jumped in to save the ponies from the ice cloud reminded me of what Twilight said in "Power Ponies" about Spike always coming through for the pony gang. I loved the moral! It was not the kind of moral I was expecting, and it was a really good once since people are often hardest on themselves. I also liked the concept of a "disabling spell" for the unicorn magic to keep the games fair. I have a feeling those booths are just regular airport like booths that are enchanted rather than the magic coming from the technology itself. I wish we had seen what kind of events the unicorns compete in though. The only flaw with this episode was not seeing more pony races competing in more types of games. I also didn't understand the metal counting system. The "Houston, we have a problem" reference with Twilight saying "Equestria, we have a problem" cracked me and my family up. Rainbow Dash was totally in character and she and Scootaloo had some nice interactions. I loved that we saw Twilight wearing her crown again as build up to the finale next weekend. If anyone is interested, a clip from the finale is on youtube now. I may make a new thread and share that clip later. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

That was a great episode, for me personally a lot better than the last few ones before. It was very well written, had some great moments and kept my interest throughout.

Each scene/part had something nice in it. (Like Spike learning he's seen as a hero, Spike struggling lighting the torch, Spike's "awkward" moment with the anthem, and the nice conclusion with Spike saving everyone from the ice cloud.

It just feels this episode had a good build-up, moved into the main plot quickly, was solidly written and had some fun moments. (Like Rainbow's 'sup', Pinkie being the only one liking the anthem, "nailed it", etc.) It was very nice to see all four princesses as well.

Solid episode, and one of my most favorite Spike episodes so far.

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 2

Sooo, we finally get the long awaited Equestrian Games episode. There were a lot of things I didn't particularly like about this episode.

One was that the whole episode was just SOAKED in second-hand (hoof?) embarassment. I felt myself blushing in Spike's place often. I know it was needed for the episode, but gosh diddly darn it was so awkward.

I told my sister: "If the griffons don't talk ONCE, I'll be pissed." So I'm a little pissed now.

When Spike breathes fire to burn out the icicle cloud, his fire is orange. Animation error?

Another thing I was disappointed about was the fact we really didn't get to see any games.. I guess it's understandable, but I'm still a bit bummed about it.

Now onto the good things:

- Everypony felt very in character for me.

- Ms. Harshwhinny, because she's a goddess as usual.

- The Crystal Ponies were awesome.

- The return of the Saddle Arabian ponies!

- Spike overrall was very good in this episode.

The best thing in my opinion, however, was the /moral/. Wow. That connected to me, which is something none of the morals ever do. When Spike said, "None of the praise in the world matters if you don't believe it." I realized that this is something I do all the time. I'm going to keep Spike's words at heart, now.

• Brohoof 7

I loved it, personally. I always kind of like seeing people embarress themselves, though. It always strikes me as funny. Always love Spike, too, and enjoy most of his episodes.

I also thought this had one of the most mature morals to date (only you can make this okay with you, or however Twilight put it). 

• Brohoof 1

Cam appearances, Spike singing the Cloudsdale anthem, Rainbow Dash "acting natural", haha I really enjoyed this one. It's like we haven't seen much of Spike in a real long time so they tried to give us a healthy dosage of his these past couple weeks. I enjoyed this episode. I really like how the people in the Crystal Empire actually acknowledges how important of a figure he really is, I mean, seeing as his actions made all the difference in their plight with Sombra. I really enjoyed it.

(edited)

Well that was pretty good.

I did enjoy Spike this episode, far better written than most of S4 and certainly S3. Liked the moments we got between Twilight and Spike. Gotta love casual Dash too.

The moral was pretty good as well; certainly something that kids and adults can take to heart.

Now, what keeps me from calling this great are two things: Firstly thje stupid "I can light things with my mind" crap: Made Spike look unnecessarily stupid and led to nothing.

Secondly, the song. Oh god, that scene! I had to mute halfway through.

If they had skipped the two and focused on Twilight and Spike instead, this could have been my favourite episode of the season.

As it is, I'd say 7/10, 7,5 for Spike fans.

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard
  • Brohoof 1

Sooo, we finally get the long awaited Equestrian Games episode. There were a lot of things I didn't particularly like about this episode.

One was that the whole episode was just SOAKED in second-hand (hoof?) embarassment. I felt myself blushing in Spike's place often. I know it was needed for the episode, but gosh diddly darn it was so awkward.

I told my sister: "If the griffons don't talk ONCE, I'll be pissed." So I'm a little pissed now.

When Spike breathes fire to burn out the icicle cloud, his fire is orange. Animation error?

Another thing I was disappointed about was the fact we really didn't get to see any games.. I guess it's understandable, but I'm still a bit bummed about it.

Now onto the good things:

- Everypony felt very in character for me.

- Ms. Harshwhinny, because she's a goddess as usual.

- The Crystal Ponies were awesome.

- The return of the Saddle Arabian ponies!

- Spike overrall was very good in this episode.

The best thing in my opinion, however, was the /moral/. Wow. That connected to me, which is something none of the morals ever do. When Spike said, "None of the praise in the world matters if you don't believe it." I realized that this is something I do all the time. I'm going to keep Spike's words at heart, now.

My only thought as to why his flame is more orange, is because he's little? He's just a 'baby' dragon if you will. Maybe his flame isn't that developed to have a red color to it? Just a thought.

I really loved this episode, it's becoming one of my favorites!

For an event we've been building up to for 25 episodes, this episode was kind of an anticlimax. Not to mention some of the inconsistencies that carried over from Rainbow Falls were less than pleasant to be reminded of.

As for the main focus, Spike's conflicts felt rushed and as such reached mediocre resolves. Also, Spike didn't really address his reassurance of himself in the story, instead resorting to "writing" in the journal.

HOWEVER, I did not entirely dislike this episode. There was a fantastic theme, good comedy, and a somewhat intriguing conflict. Overall, this episode was okay. I'm still looking forward to the season finale next week.

• Brohoof 3

After Spike destroys the crystal with fire, where did that umbrella come from?

BmuyVQXCcAArWSz.png

This is still bothering me lmao.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

My only thought as to why his flame is more orange, is because he's little? He's just a 'baby' dragon if you will. Maybe his flame isn't that developed to have a red color to it? Just a thought.

I really loved this episode, it's becoming one of my favorites!

Spike's fire breath has been green up until "Inspiration Manifestation" so my guess is the change to orange color has to do with Spike growing up like with Sweetie Belle learning magic in "Twilight Time".  They are trying to show physical growth in the characters along with their growth in understanding of friendship and general mental growth. There is a possibly Spike's fire will become more reddish over time but the adult dragons seem to have orange fire in other episodes too. 

Edited by StitchandMLPlover
  • Brohoof 1

Spike's fire breath has been green up until "Inspiration Manifestation" so my guess is the change to orange color has to do with Spike growing up like with Sweetie Belle learning magic in "Twilight Time".  They are trying to show physical growth in the characters along with their growth in understanding of friendship and general mental growth. There is a possibly Spike's fire will become more reddish over time but the adult dragons seem to have orange fire in other episodes too. 

Well then, at least you were paying close attention. I guess we'll have to see over time if his flame changes from this episode on.

Good eye!

• Brohoof 1

After Spike destroys the crystal with fire, where did that umbrella come from?

BmuyVQXCcAArWSz.png

This is still bothering me lmao.

It's just meant to be cute for laughs. 

Well then, at least you were paying close attention. I guess we'll have to see over time if his flame changes from this episode on.

Good eye!

Thanks. Yeah it is something to watch for. I like watching for little continuity touches like that. 

• Brohoof 1

10/10 tenouttaten, hundredouttahundred, best ep, best ep, seriously though this ep was great, though not my #1 favorite it was amazing, and YES! 2 SPIKE EPISODES IN A ROW THAT WERE GREAT!!!

I'm not the only one that got goosebumps at the end was I? 

• Brohoof 1