Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Season 4 in review.

CastletonSnob

(edited)

Best episode for me was Pinkie Pride. Feel free to read my full review for the episode, but in summary it did everything right; perfect characterisation, perfect introduction to a new character, fantastic premise and totally encapsulated the atmosphere of MLP and Bronies, along with a ton of amazing songs, comedy, brilliant pacing, perfect writing ability and symbolism/continuity to satisfy just about anyone. I cannot find a single flaw in this episode, not even the tiniest one. I have nothing but props for Amy Keating Rogers at this point in time.

My least favourite episode was actually Equestria Games, the most recent one. While I can give it credit for the world building surrounding the Equestria Games and functions like the unicorn-disabling spell, that's really all it has going for me. The pacing felt very off (the whole Spike-saves-the-day thing was over and done in like, what, ten seconds? Really rushed), and a good portion of the episode seemed to rely on cringe humour, which is definitely not my taste. I struggled through the Spike anthem, through him failing to light the torch, and through him failing to burn the autograph... it just wasn't enjoyable IMO. The Pinkie Pie parts were the best parts.

Then again, we haven't seen the finale, and that might either trump Pinkie Pride (EXTREMELY doubtful  :lol: ) or score below Equestria Games. We'll see!

Edited by Flipturn

Season 4 was probably the best season. I love it very much. The best episodes of the season were:

• Princess Twilight Sparkle parts 1 and 2
  • Daring Don't
  • Pinkie Apple Pie
  • Rarity Takes Manehatten
  • Rainbow Falls
  • Simple Ways
  • Filli Vanilli
  • Maud Pie

The bolded ones are my two favorite episodes of all time 8)

The only one I wasn't quite fond of was Bats because I really didn't like Flutterbat, and Twilight Time kinda weirded me out from all the zombie foals :P

(edited)

My least favourite episode was actually Equestria Games, the most recent one. While I can give it credit for the world building surrounding the Equestria Games and functions like the unicorn-disabling spell, that's really all it has going for me. The pacing felt very off (the whole Spike-saves-the-day thing was over and done in like, what, ten seconds? Really rushed), and a good portion of the episode seemed to rely on cringe humour, which is definitely not my taste. I struggled through the Spike anthem, through him failing to light the torch, and through him failing to burn the autograph... it just wasn't enjoyable IMO. The Pinkie Pie parts were the best parts.

I object due to my fondness for Spike growing immensely this season. I had fun watching him the whole time, and very much appreciated the moral, which is both an interesting one for Spike and one that some ponies named Stellafera still can learn from. It was probably my favorite in its ill-fated arc.

Speaking of its ill-fated arc, well... em... it's not really a surprise anymore... that... um... I HATE RAINBOW FALLS I REMEMBER ONCE UPON A TIME WHEN I COULD TRUST COREY POWELL IN SEASON 3 AND NOW I'VE LOST MY INNOCEEEENCE

Best episode was Testing, Testing, 123 which was easily both the best show for Rainbow Dash and Twilight. Great humor, great feelings, great moral, great conflict, great Spike being weird, great BARRYFLIGHT (okay maybe I misheard that line). This is closely followed by the equally comedic and heartfelt Somepony to Watch Over Me. After that, it gets trickier as you enter the high echelons of episodes like Pinkie Pride, Rarity Takes Manehatten, For Whom The Sweetie Belle Toils, etc. 

I rate this my second favorite season. While not as solid as Season 3 and the bad episodes were truly awful, there were enough standout stars to one-up one or two terrible takes.  ;)

Edited by Stellafera

Best Episode: Pinkie Pride because it not only had Pinkie's finest moments but also a great guest star that didn't feel forced and was riddled with great comedy, songs, and character development.

Worst Episode: Rainbow Falls. Even though I love how there is SoarinDash in it everywhere, when I factor that out then the episode is terrible. The Wonderbolts were jerks just for contrivance, practically everyone was so out of character, it was distracting, and many more things I could go over. It just feels like a bad fanfiction.

Overall season 4 is deifantly tied with season 2 as my favorite season. The episodes that were good tend to be really good and I liked how they added more continuity, improved animation, and are experimenting with more types of humor.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Best Episode - Rarity Takes Manehattan :wub:

rarity_takes_manehattan_motivational_by_

The feels, man. This episode...I get butterflies just watching it :wub:

This is THE Rarity episode :D After being shoved aside in Season 3, this was her return, and it was fabulous  :wub:

This fit all the feels of a movie into a single episode, it felt like. I can't really praise this episode enough; dear god, there's never been a better episode in any show! :wub:

I was so worried leading up to this episode. I've read every single reply to the topic, actually, but it not only eased my fears, but nullified them all together :wub:

You can read my full review of the episode here; keep in mind, though, I get really into it :lol:

Worst Episode - Flight to the Finish, Rainbow Falls, and Trade Ya! were all pretty horrific, so this is going to be a tough one...this was really a poor season for Rainbow Dash.

It's a tie between the 3. They all just...sucked. Eww. Ew. Ew. Ewwwww. 

What do I hope for in season 5? More of this gorgeous mare :wub::D

rarity___joy_by_guillex3-d70x4vu.png

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Best episode - Testing, Testing, 1,2,3

In a season that was more or less disappointing for both Twilight and Rainbow, this episode pretty redeemed it for them imo(and on that tangent, things started getting better for them afterwards)

Runner-ups - Rarity Takes Manehatten, Pinkie Pride, Flight to the Finish, Maud Pie

Worst episode - Either Rainbow Falls or Simple Ways, but the more I think about, the more I feel like I hate SW more. I mean, Trenderhoof sucked, and Rarity was getting really pathetic by the second half of the episode(and to RFs credit, at least Rainbow Dash wasn't one of the episode's problems imo). If it wasn't for AJ and Spike, I'd rank it as low as MmmotFE and MMDW. Now it's....barely on par with RF(which isn't really saying much...)

Season as a whole? I'll wait until the season finale to make a final verdict, but for the most part I'd say it's still my least favorite season, but it's at least these it really started to pick up by the second half of the season

/

Seaon 5? I want my goddamn Rainbow Dash/Rarity episode and my goddamn Celestia episode

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

The season 4 became my 2nd favorite season of the show, behind the season 2.

Favorite episode: Bats!

Least favorite episode: Simple Ways

Overall the season 4 started very well, but the last episodes (from Leap of Faith to Inspiration Manifestation) kind of disappointed me.

I loved 11 out of the 22 episodes (I don't count the season premiere and finale) of the season. (by "I loved" I mean I voted the "I loved it! <3" option in the poll)

I hope the season 5 will be as good (or even better?) as this one. :D

Edited by Blobulle

As I've said before, the first 14 episodes were a rollercoaster. Not to mention that this season has some of the worst episodes to come out of the show thus far. Though, the latter half has undoubtedly redeemed itself from its rocky start. Let's just hope that the finale is as good as some of these recent episodes.

And here's how I rate each episode in order:

The Fantastic Episodes

1. For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils. 

2. Pinkie Pride

3. Leap of Faith

4. Inspiration Manifestation 

5. Maud Pie

6. Rarity Takes Manehattan

7. Pinkie Apple Pie

8. Bats!

9. Three's A Crowd

10. Trade Ya!

The Good Episodes

1. Princess Twilight Sparkle

2. Castle Mane-ia 

3. Twilight Time

4. Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3

5. It Ain't Easy Being Breezies 

The "Average" Episodes

1. Flight to the Finish

2. Equestria Games

3. Somepony to Watch Over Me

The Bad Episodes

1. Rainbow Falls

2. Power Ponies

3. Daring Don't

4. Filli Vanilli 

The Scum of Cartoons

Simple Ways

(edited)

Season 4 is currently my favorite season of the show, below I listed my personal enkouyment of all of its episodes.

LOVED IT!:

Pinkie Pride

Rarity Takes Manehattan

For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils

Pinkie Apple Pie

Maud Pie

Testing Testing 1, 2, 3

Inspiration Manifestation

Equestria Games

Filli Vanilli

Bats!

Flight to the Finish

LIKED IT!:

Leap of Faith

Twilight Time

Princess Twilight Sparkle

Castle Mane-ia

Three's a Crowd

Daring Don't

It Ain't Easy Being Breezies

Simple Ways

MEH:

Power Ponies

Somepony To Watch Over Me

Trade Ya!

DISLIKED IT!:

Rainbow Falls

Edited by Dry Colt

Favorite episodes: Rarity Takes Manehattan, Pinkie Pride, For Whom The Sweetie Belle Toils, Filli Vanilli, Bats!, Maud Pie, Testing, Testing, Testing, 1,2, 3, Flight to the Finish, Inspiration Manifestation

Worst Episodes: Power Ponies, Rainbow Falls, It Ain't Easy Being Breezies

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

For me, "Maud Pie" was probably the best/funniest episode, although "Equestria Games" is very close. "Testing, Testing, 1...2...3" was my least favorite. I thought RD was way too much of an entitled brat that episode, who sat back and let everyone else do absolutely everything to ensure she succeeded, when she didn't even care about the test (despite being a huge fan of the Wonderbolts since episode one)

LOVED

Maud Pie

Pinkie Apple Pie

Equestria Games

Bats!

Flight to the Finish

Leap of Faith

Three's a Crowd

Filli Vanilli

LIKED

Twilight Time

Somepony to Watch Over Me

Rarity Takes Manehatten

Power Ponies

Trade Ya'

Pinkie Pride

MEH

Princess Twilight Sparkle (1 and 2)

Castle Mane-ia

Rainbow Falls

Daring Don't

Simple Ways

DISLIKED

It Aint Easy Being Breezies

HATED

Testing, Testing, 1...2...3...

Edited by Carolina

I for one think this season was great. It offered things I had been wanting for a while. I wanted more lore especially considering Celestia and Lunas' past, it delivered that in the first two episodes. We all wanted more Rarity episodes, it delivered that. I wanted to see Cadence get more screen time so we could get to see more characterization of her. Again this season delivered that. Sure its had its misses, but then again so has every season. 

My faves of the season
Testing Testing 123
Rarity Takes Manehatten
Flight to the Finish
Filli Vinilli
Pinkie Pride
Maude Pie
Pinkie Apple Pie
Equestria Games
Bats
Three's a Crowd
For whom the Sweetie Belle Toils

I have heard lots of bad talk about the latest few episodes but I for one enjoyed every single episode in Season 4 and the finale is going to be awesome!

Just gotta say that I can listen to Find the music in you from Filli Vanilli over and over again and never get bored of it :) One of my favourite episodes of all time.

I can't accurately rate how I feel about the entirety of this Season until the finale...but on the episodes that are out;

LOVED

-Princess Twilight Sparkle

-Rarity Takes Manehattan

-Maud Pie

-Inspiration Manifestation

LIKED

-Bats!

-Power Ponies

-Daring Don't

-Equestria Games

-Three's A Crowd

-Pinkie Pride

-Flight to the Finish

-Testing, testing 1...2...3...

-For Whom the Sweetie Belle Tolls

-Leap of Faith

MEH

-Castle Mane-ia

-Simple Ways

-It Ain't Easy Being Breezies

-Somepony to Watch Over Me

DISLIKED

-Filli Vanilli

-Pinkie Apple Pie

-Twilight Time

HATED

-Rainbow Falls

-Trade Ya

I would say that this season has been excellent. I don't really like some things in it, but it's nothing that prevents me from having fun with the episodes.

I have trouble putting my finger in ONE best episode, but I like most "key episodes", even If i could do without the whole arc. If I'm forced to choose one, I'd be struggling between Rarity Takes Manehattan and Pinkie Pride. Flight to the Finish too. As a general rule, I like all episodes.

But I do have ONE hated episode: Daring Don't. This whole episode feels like a self-insert fanfiction and I STILL have the feeling that this was supposed to be a dream after Rainbow Dash smacks her head on the tree, but they changed it during production. Mostly because I feel like it's story doesn't fit with the rest of the show and it's too full of weird choices.

For season five I would like if they ended the show in a high note. And perhaps some characterization for Princess Celestia. Some real recognition for the Mane Six. More interesting characters and if possible, some more world building. Other countries. How do they relate to Equestria. And I need to see what next episode doesn't deliver.

Great episodes

• Bats!
  • Princess Twilight Sparkle Part 1 and 2
  • Rarity takes Manehatten
  • Pinkie Pride
  • Twilight Time
  • Maud Pie
  • Inspiration manifestation

Average episodes

• Power Ponies
  • Filli Vanilli
  • Pinkie apple pie
  • Three's a crowd
  • Simple ways
  • Somepony to watch over me 
  • For whom the Sweetie Belle tolls
  • Leap of faith
  • Testing, testing 1 2 3
  • Trade ya!
  • Equestria games

Poor episodes

• Castle Mania
  • Daring Don't 
  • Flight to the finish
  • Rainbow falls
  • It ain't easy being breezies

Overall, this was actually a pretty good season. I enjoyed the majority of the episodes. There were a few hit or miss ones, but we got some nice character development this season. This season had fantastic music as well. Weird Al guest starring in MLP was a dream come true. 

(edited)

Looks like everybody is rating the episodes... Here's my ranking:

Loved:

Bats!

Castle Mane-ia

Filli Vanilli

Maud Pie

It Ain't Easy Being Breezies

Rainbow Falls (am I the only one?)

Liked:

Daring Don't

Power Ponies

Rarity Takes Manehattan

Pinkie Apple Pie

There's a Crowd

Pinkie Pride

Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3

Equestria Games

Meh:

Flight to the Finish

Twilight Time

Leap of Faith

Trade Ya!

Disliked:

Somepony To Watch Over Me

Simple Ways

Hated:

None

Edited by Blobulle

(edited)

I guess I'll have my say since everyone is doing it

Loved

Testing Testing 123

Flight to the Finish 
Pinkie Pride

Rarity Takes Manehatten

Maud Pie

Bats!

Liked

Power Ponies

Somepony to Watch Over Me

Equestria Games

Pinkie Apple Pie

Trade Ya

Filli Vanilli
Castlemania

Meh

Daring Don't

Three's a Crowd

Twilight Time

Bleh

Leap of Faith

It ain't So Easy Being Breezies

Rainbow Falls

(There's probably something wrong if three of the weakest episodes are some of the most important episodes in the show)

Fuck this episode

Simple Ways

Edited by Megas75

(edited)

Fantastic:

1. Testing Testing 1 2 3
  2. Pinkie Pride
  3. Rarity Takes Manehatten
  4. Princess Twilight Sparkle Parts 1 - 2
  5. Maud Pie
  6. Three's a Crowd
  7. Bats!
  8. For Whom the Sweetie Belle Tolls
  9. Equestria Games
  10. Pinkie Apple Pie

Good:

1. Leap of Faith
  2. Twilight Time
  3. Inspiration Manifestation
  4. Somepony to Watch Over Me
  5. Trade Ya
  6. Filli Vanilli
  7. Flight to the Finish

Meh:

1. Rainbow Falls
  2. Simple Ways
  3. Castle Mane-ia
  4. Daring Don't

Ew:

1. Power Ponies
  2. Breezies

NOTE: These are not in any particular order.

Edited by Shift
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, let's see...

SOAWESOME!

1. Pinkie Pride

2. Rarity Takes Manehattan

3. Maud Pie

4. For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils

5. Rainbow Falls

6. Princess Twilight Part 1 and 2

7. Bats!

8. Pinkie Apple Pie

9. Power Ponies

10. Flight to the FInish

11. Equestria Games

12. Three's a Crowd

13. Testing Testing, 1, 2, 3

14. Filli Vanilli

GREAT!

1. Inspiration Manifestation

2. Castle Mane-ia

3. Twilight Time

4. It Ain't Easy Being Breezies

5. Daring Don't

6. Trade Ya!

7. Leap of Faith

8. Somepony to Watch Over Me

GOOD...

Simple Ways

MEH...

(None) :D

This is in no particular order, if 'ya say... ;)

Edited by GeometryMath Algebra

Well, Twilight Sparkle hasn't sang at all (unless she does in the finale?) in this season, and that makes me want to cry. (Reaction)

However, the other Mane 6 have received some very well screen time in this Season, and it just makes me wonder how much better Season 5 will be!

Wow, it feels weird typing "Season 5", my finger keeps leaning to the 4 xD

Anyways, it's been an excellent Season for pony, and of course, more to come! ^^

(edited)

it was total shit 9/10-IGN

My favorite episode has to be testing, testing, 1 2 3; as it really felt like a return to form for me. Rainbow was her stubborn, but not totally stupid self, and Twilight was again the adorkable bookworm and not some moral and exposition spouting celestia wannabe. The mood of the episode, and the way the characters acted (with pinkie being random and hyper, but not to the point of appearing to have a social disorder) and Fluttershy being the quiet animal loving middle ground, it really felt like strong return to the reason why I began enjoying this show back on /co/.

So in ranking the episodes I cared enough about to list (all others did not strike enough of an emotional chord to be remembered)

Best: TT123,RTM,MP,PPride

Worst:PP,DD,RF

I dunno what to do with tier :EG(this episode was a great spike episode, but the fact that it was the culmination of a 2 season long hype train, that did not show most of the games, nor focus on them the backdrop of the episode felt wasted to me, it could have easily been set in canterlot, as spike would be famous there aswell, and that would not have wasted an event that was on the horizon for two seasons as a one off backdrop to Spike)

Edited by Miaq_The_Truthful