Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on "Spoilers" (Note: No actual spoilers in the thread.)

HomuraBL

Hello everypony. I think its about time we discuss thoughts on "spoilers" of My little pony...especially when EQD had just released a whole bunch of shots for whats coming up in the next couple episodes.

So today, we are going to discuss thoughts on "spoilers," weather you like or hate them, and why you like/hate them. Note this is opinion on MLP "Spoilers.," since it is totally different for everything else.

I'm pretty sure you noticed me putting quotations around spoilers. The main reason is, I don't think they are spoilers. If the hub thought they were spoilers, they wouldn't post. The only time I would think they posted a spoiler was Discord and thats about it. What they probably should be called are 'Hype"rs. The thing is, the only thing they ever really show is part of the plot, and why would it be bad to know part of the plot? I don't know you tell me.

But you want to know something. Some people its bad for other people to watch the so called "Spoilers" and even insult them for it, which is really bad.

Anyway, I posted my thoughts, you post yours now. :)

• Brohoof 2

I personally think that whether or not you consider them to be spoilers, you should respect the opinions of those that do. Some don't wish to be spoiled at all about new episodes and want the full surprise in the episode itself. I can respect, appreciate, and even fully agree with that sentiment on a great many occasions. For instance, I had no idea about Derpy all day, January 21st...I wasn't expecting that at all and it was an enormous and delightful surprise when I saw the episode that night(on a massive screen with an equally massive soundsystem, with about twenty other people at that.)

Now, while I personally did not consider these images to be all that spoilery, the fact remains that others would, and we shouldn't force them to look at something or read about something they might wish to avoid. That's why spoiler tags exist, after all.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

I personally think that whether or not you consider them to be spoilers, you should respect the opinions of those that do. Some don't wish to be spoiled at all about new episodes and want the full surprise in the episode itself. I can respect, appreciate, and even fully agree with that sentiment on a great many occasions. For instance, I had no idea about Derpy all day, January 21st...I wasn't expecting that at all and it was an enormous and delightful surprise when I saw the episode that night(on a massive screen with an equally massive soundsystem, with about twenty other people at that.)

Now, while I personally did not consider these images to be all that spoilery, the fact remains that others would, and we shouldn't force them to look at something or read about something they might wish to avoid. That's why spoiler tags exist, after all.

I know some people would. I know some people want that full surprise. I do respect other people's opinions on this. I'm just wondering what everyone thinks. Like I said, the images and clips the hub and official MLP Facebook page usually show doesn't ruin the episode for me, but makes me more excited for it. :)

Also, what I would like to point out is more of pre-episode. Stuff that gets shown before the episode. I think you are slightly thinking I'm talking about when the episode is already up on youtube and stuff like that.

Edited by RaccoonBL

Some prefer to not know what an episode is about. I'm one of those such people-knowing the plot makes me enjoy the beginning of the episode less, because I already know what sort of situation is going to happen. Although it won't ruin the episode for me by any means, i prefer not to know any details about a new episode until I'm watching it with my very own eyes.

I know some people would. I know some people want that full surprise. I do respect other people's opinions on this. I'm just wondering what everyone thinks. Like I said, the images and clips the hub and official MLP Facebook page usually show doesn't ruin the episode for me, but makes me more excited for it. :)

Also, what I would like to point out is more of pre-episode. Stuff that gets shown before the episode. I think you are slightly thinking I'm talking about when the episode is already up on youtube and stuff like that.

No, I know you're talking about pre-release images, but honestly the way some trailers and promotional images are made, whether it's for shows or video games or what have you, they can often create massive spoilers, or completely destroy any tension an episode may have had. This is particularly common in live action television shows--Stargate SG-1 suffered it all the time, which was lampshaded by the writers in the episode "200."

There are some for whom enjoyment is better when they don't know anything at all, not even episode blurbs. I can quote my own experience again here, this time in reference to the video game Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep. I knew absolutely ZILCH about the game, and as a result I enjoyed it far more than I would have had I known even the slightest hint about its characters and plot. Granted, this doesn't always happen, depending upon the quality of what you are watching or playing, but this sort of experience is what those who wish to avoid spoilers crave.

That's why I become upset when I see people leaking spoilers in status updates or thread titles...even something as simple as saying "Iron Will is a Minotaur" or "Fluttershy turns into Fluttercruel again" are spoilers that should be avoided, because it's especially annoying to those of us trying to avoid spoilers, and double especially to those for whom ANY information at all, no matter what it is, is a spoiler.

You asked my opinion, and I gave it.

• Brohoof 1

Before I say anything else, I have to say that it is important to respect the views of others regarding spoilers. There are many different opinions on what is a spoiler and what is not a spoiler. The respectful thing to do is to assume that any and all information regarding an upcoming episode is a spoiler.

If you treat all information about upcoming episodes as a spoiler, then you can keep everyone happy. People that don't want to see spoilers can avoid them and fully preserve the joy of a new experience. People that want to see spoilers can see that the information is there if they want to see it.

Personally, I love spoilers. I spoil myself as much as possible before every episode. I really enjoy hunting down as many spoilers as possible, but that is what I enjoy - everyone is different.

While I love spoilers, I think that it is super important to preserve the experience for those that have not seen the episode yet and want to avoid spoilers. I actually get very irritated when I see people spoiling the experience for other people, because it is really not fair.

It is easy for people that want to see spoilers to find them, but avoiding spoilers that are not properly marked can be completely impossible. I understand that people want to talk about the episode, and I certainly do not think that no one should ever post anything that could be a spoiler. All I am saying is that there are just a few simple things that everyone should do to be respectful to those that do not want to see an episode spoiled.

• If you are posting a spoiler in a non-spoiler topic, then use the

tags.

• If you are posting a super spoiler (like a clip from an episode) in one of the episode speculation topics, then you should use the

tags.

• Do not post a status update that includes spoilers of any kind. Status updates are almost completely unavoidable.
  • If you have a topic that talks about things from an upcoming episode or from an episode that aired that weekend, then you should include

somewhere in the topic's name.

If everyone follows these steps, then everyone can be happy.

(By the way, do people really insult others for liking spoilers? That really is bad. I'm happy that has never happened to me.)

• Brohoof 3

Well, none of the pics seemed to reveal anything intrinsic to the plot that we didn't already know. Some of the references/costumes have now been spoiled for us, but...oh well. I'd much rather it be that than major plot details. Still though...perhaps they should be marked as "spoilers," as some people will see it as such.

I don't really mind spoilers and typically I remain pretty neutral on the whole situation. If a minor detail pops up concerning an upcoming episode, I'll probably read it, but I usually don't go on searching for them. Everyone has their own way of viewing things though, so I say let them post it for the people who enjoy it and if others don't like seeing it, then it's their choice to not read further.

• If you are posting a spoiler in a non-spoiler topic, then use the

tags.

• If you are posting a super spoiler (like a clip from an episode) in one of the episode speculation topics, then you should use the

tags.

• Do not post a status update that includes spoilers of any kind. Status updates are almost completely unavoidable.
  • If you have a topic that talks about things from an upcoming episode or from an episode that aired that weekend, then you should include

somewhere in the topic's name.

If everyone follows these steps, then everyone can be happy.

(By the way, do people really insult others for liking spoilers? That really is bad. I'm happy that has never happened to me.)

HAL9000 is wise beyond his memory core. If we meat people follow the rules he set forth, I see no problem. I myself don't mind spoilers, and hope nopony makes fun of me for it!!!

Its not too common, I mostly see it on youtube and EQD.

I think you are not in the position to judge whether a detail of an upcoming episode is spoiler-worthy or not. How significant a detail is to different people is almost entirely subjective.

...Um...Wat? Why are you getting all mad at me for?

What's up with this thread? I just asked how people feel about spoilers...and some people think this thread is about putting a spoiler tag or not on some of these threads...

...Um...Wat? Why are you getting all mad at me for?

What's up with this thread? I just asked how people feel about spoilers...and some people think this thread is about putting a spoiler tag or not on some of these threads...

Whoopsies, looks like I sort of misunderstood the thread myself. Deleted my own post and another one here for being off-topic.

I'm not exactly the biggest fan of spoilers, but in my efforts to stay on top of all the new episodes to make sure they are added to the calendar, I usually end up learning whatever information has been released whether I wanted to or not. :)

Huh? No-ones getting mad at you, just stating what they think. And no-one is in a position to judge. Not you, not I, not even the sites owner, so... calm down everyone.

Actually disregard that, I no longer have any idea whats going on in here.

Oh, Derpy...

Here's the thing.

The little preview is not a "Spoiler", it is just a teaser! So you can know the premise and what pony is the episode about, but it shouln't count at all as a spoiler, it actually makes you want to see the episode more!

But the Derpy thing! As soon as the episode came out, the brony world including this forum got filled with posts about Derpy being canon, of course I was ruthlessly spoiled, and didn't get nearly as much excited when I got to see the episode that everyone else. That was a bittersweet moment...

• 2 weeks later...

Well... It is never good when somepony posts spoilers to ruin other ponies' fun... But someponies have reasons for doing it, and someponies just don't care if they see spoilers. Overall, however, I think people should try to retain future information just not to give people either suspense... or disappointment.

I usually avoid spoilers if its anything about the newest episode. Like I don't look in episode discussions until I see the episode. I got Derpy talking spoiled for me for example.