Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Hasbro planning on adding more G1 characters?

Coconut Breeze

First off I have to say that the finale of this season was a major let down for me. When I heard that Tirek was coming back I thought that Hasbro had planned on adding in some of the more famous G1 ponies as well but...I was wrong... I was thinking that Hasbro had planned on having some of the G1 ponies team up with the mane 6 to fight Tirek.

Tirek was not as he should have been.

Scorpan and Tirek are NOT brothers. Scorpan was actually a prince that was turned into a monster by Tirek when he took over his kingdom.

With that out of the way...On to the actual topic. Not only has Hasbro brought back Tirek but they also mentioned Firefly. Does this mean that they are in the process of securing the rights to use Firefly in the show as well as other G1 ponies? 

You know, you're going to have to accept that this is not G1, that this is a different thing entirely, and judge the show entirely on its own standards. 

Anyway, I doubt that they're going to do any more.  Legally, I'm not sure if they can.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)
Not only has Hasbro brought back Tirek but they also mentioned Firefly. Does this mean that they are in the process of securing the rights to use Firefly in the show as well as other G1 ponies?

I'm surprised they've gone as far as they have to honor G1 characters.  All signs point to the Firefly mentions so far being nods to MLP's G1 heritage, which is allowable without owning the rights, and not a sign that an effort to restore those rights are under way. 

You feel pretty strongly about G1 and I respect that.  But name me a current franchise of almost any sort that uses first generation characters, plot devices, etc. exactly as depicted in their original states.  It just doesn't happen.  I'm a G1 Transformers junkie and I learned long ago that. 

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 1

I agree with the first poster, this is just a different verse than the previous generations took place in, G4 was more or a less a reboot for the whole "MLP" thing in general, which means that their is no obligations for the writers or Hasbro to keep it canon to the other generations.

• Brohoof 1

If it means having the Smooze then yes. Because seeing that in g4 would be the ultimate villain, and they could not really top that. But other than adding in a few villains and nods, I would not expect much else.

I loved the finale, and well... G1 lore is irrelevant for G4. G4 is much richer in that aspect as well in everything else ( in my opinion)

I dont mind them adding more G1 stuff as long as its well written and up to G4 standards.

• Brohoof 1

That is the nature of reboots, some things stay the same but others change. I grew up with the 80's and 90's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles loved it and still do but I like the the 2003 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles just as much even though it is very different from it. I am a G1 MLP fan too actually and while certain details about the G4 Tirek are different I think that G4 still honored the spirit of the character. Tirek was a power hungry monster and G4 if anything made him an even bigger monster in every sense of the word. And it would be interesting to see some G1 ponies brought back the fact is not all of them can be because Hasbro lost the trademark to a lot of the G1 ponies unfortunetely. As a matter fact the mane 6 themselves are based on G1 ponies and Lauren Faust was originally going to give them the same names as their G1 counterparts but couldn't with most of them because like I said before Hasbro has lost the trademark to many of them. And alot of the original character designs were also closer to their G1 counterparts as well with Rainbow Dash's original design being one of the closest with her being based on Firefly who was Lauren Fausts favorite G1 pony.

I kinda hope they don't. no offense to anyone that likes G1 but it creeps me out. They can but there has to be more G4 too.

I don’t think people mean making it like G1: just borrowing characters here and there and making a Generation 4 equivalent and re-creating the character to suit the show, as they have been doing already. Like how G4 has borrowed character names from generation 3 like Pinkie Pie, yet G3 isn't much like G4 and the characters with same names aren't like each other either in personality of looks.

If they were to honor G1 totally you might as well add humans to the modern day show too. It's different, there are only base designs and inspirations taken from older generations. I for one don't mind that. Copying Tirek's and Scorpan's backstory exactly wouldn't add much because Scorpan didn't have one appearance outside of the book version, when Celestia was speaking about their origins. In comparison to his older version, this Tirek was a brute, intimidating, and took a very direct approach in confrontations while the older relied on corrupting.

If Tirek is any indication, i wont be surprised if we'll see more of G1 characters. Just don't expect them to be exact replicas.

• Brohoof 2

They're clearly not the same characters, they have the rights to modify them however way they like. I mean, look at Rainbow Dash. She was a fashionista before Friendship is Magic. It'd be cool if they added more G1 ponies and is likely but again, they can do whatever they want.

(edited)

As I understand it, many G1 ponies were supposed to make an appearance as older or background characters, but the idea was stifled by Hasbro on the grounds that they had let the trademarks that they had registered on the names of those ponies lapse. (Only one G1 pony still had her name trademarked because they used her in subsequent generations, and that was Applejack. The rest of the Mane 6, except for Twilight Sparkle, are from G3.) Because of this, they could have run into legal issues if they attempted to produce G4 reissue toys under the original names. Twilight Sparkle's mother was intended to be an update of G1's Twilight, and in the show strongly resembles Twilight, but was officially named Twilight Velvet because of the legal stuff.

The mention of Firefly in Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3 was actually a nod by the writer to Lauren Faust, who uses fyre_flye as a Twitter handle. Faust, however, chose that in reference to Firefly the pony (her favourite).

There is little stopping G1 ponies from appearing in the show, and in fact, the comics are littered with background ponies that are updated versions of G1 ponies, but if one of them gets popular again, Hasbro could run into difficulty capitalizing on it by selling toys (which, let's face it, is what they do) so they tend not to.

Edited by Red Cedar

I don't know, they would probably add more G1 characters to appear. Sorry to disappoint you if you were expecting them to look and do what they did when they were made in their respective generations, that is why reboots modify and adapt from the original.

Personally, I would not get my hopes up for more G1 characters, so I doubt it.  It would surprise me though if Hasbro does.

but the idea was stifled by Hasbro on the grounds that they had let the trademarks that they had registered on the names of those ponies lapse. (Only one G1 pony still had her name trademarked because they used her in subsequent generations, and that was Applejack.

I don't know if they lost the trademark, I've heard this speculated a lot over the years but during the 25th anniversary of My Little Pony hasbro re-released 4 sets of original G1 ponies. This included the first 6 MLP in 2 sets - Blossom, Minty, Butterscotch, Cotton Candy, Snuzzle and Blue Belle. Then the second 2 set was the original 6 rainbow ponies. Windy,  Moonstone, Skydancer, Starshine, Sunlight and Parasol.

There has also lately be a release of a miniature version of Firefly which comes with a mini book of G1 backcard artwork.

So they clearly still have the ability to remake these characters and use them along with they're name on products.

G1 is not G4...

But if you think of them as like a Parallel or alternate reality/worlds then the connections are plausible.

I for one wouldn't mind other G1 alteration inserts.... possable Grogar!

I'd be kewl with that

• 3 months later...

I HOPE. I wanted to see some of the original Mane 6 and see them being portrayed more politely. However, now that the fans used this old ponies, Hasbro may not use them again.

Villains? For sure, FiM doesn't stand for originality, everything of the new MLP is from the previous generations or other franchises.

I wanted Firefly, Glory, Surprise, and many more.

I hope Grogar, Smooze, Lavan, Arabus and the others may arrive one day.

The real question is what other G3 characters they'll bring in now that they re-introduced the Breezies.  I'm hoping for Whimsey Weatherbe myself.

Edited by toonbat

I wouldn't mind if they added some G1 characters to Friendship is Magic.  I'd love to see Wind Whistler make a return, and I saw someone mention The Smooze, and all I can say to that, is YES YES YES YES YES!!!!  That would be awesome!

Pinkie Pie? was she a G1 pony? because she was a G3 pony to

Well at first she was Surprise or a reboot of her with a fairly similar personality however recolored and named by the G3 version (Pinkie Pie.