Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"Oh No! The fandom is gonna end!".... relax!

applejock

As others said there are plenty of fandoms that have lasted long after their shows have ended.

What I'd also like throw in is that MLP has the potential to evolve from a one-show-based fandom into a franchise fandom like the fandoms for Transformers, Spider-Man, Batman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, so on and so forth when G5 comes around. To those that are fans of G1, MLP already is this.

• Brohoof 1

The Doctor Who fandom managed to keep going and thrive during the 16 year long gap between the end of the classic show, (1989) and the beginning of the reboot in 2005. Why wouldn't the MLP:FIM fandom be able to last at least as long? Here's the very end of the very last classic episode. What a great way to leave things until the show started again!

I loved Ace, with her Nitro-9 canisters. I wanted to be her, but without the explosives. I loved how she always called the Doctor, Professor. He would try to correct her, but eventually gave up. I once met Sylvester McCoy too. What a nice man! I've drifted way off topic, but I guess you can see my point. The MLP:FIM fandom will go on for quite a long time! 

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 3

It's been said before but fandoms never truly die. As long as people are interested and are interested in sharing their joy with others, it will continue.

There's a very good chance, however, that it will become smaller and more die-hard/hardcore of a fanbase.

And if you're looking for examples I've got 2 of the top of my head:

Street Fighter III: Third Strike

Firefly

• Brohoof 1

Think about it this way. We have had 71 episodes so far over the course of 4 years. Look at how much this fandom has produced in that amount of time. Now, 5 more seasons, let's say they all have 26 episodes. That is 130 more episodes. Could you imagine how much the fandom can do with that much content? Due to this, I don't think the fandom will die out any time soon, there are fandoms that have been around for decades and I think this one will do the same. :) Many thought this was just an internet fad and that it would not last at all, but now we are the main reason the show is going to last that long, which is pretty awesome in my opinion.

Sure after the show ended the amount of people in the fandom would decrease to a certain extent, but there should still be quite a group of peeps who are gonna keep the fandom alive.

"fandom is ending"

"5 years left"

we got a long time before the show fizzles out, why are you worrying about this now, friend? Sit back and relax...

Plus the fandom is pretty far from dying, although it's not on its berserk spree of combusting all over the internet like it was in 2011 the fandom is still leveled out with HEAPS of members in it and I doubt the show ending will be enough to kill off the fandom (although I can guarantee a few people will leave, but not everyone)

Been a while since one of these threads has popped up but no it won't. As long as people are enjoying the show enough to converse with others, share fan art, theories and music inspired by the show, the fandom will survive. It will only end when every last brony loses interest in the show and with new fans coming as fast as old ones leave I can't see that happening.

Well we're clear to 2017, at least, and who knows what lies beyond that. There could be a spin-off, for instance. Besides which, given how successful G4 has been, G5 will more likely than not follow a similar mold, and will attract fans of its own.

Between all the various likelihoods, I think we can expect bronies to be around for quite some time to come.

• Brohoof 1

Basically what everyone has already said.

Honestly, I grow weary of these "fandom is ending" threads.  People don't suddenly stop liking a franchise when it ends.  Seinfeld ended ages ago, but I still watch reruns, and my mom and I still quote the show on a regular basis.  Usually daily.  We love it.  We don't stop being fans because they're not making new episodes.  I mean, come on.  Geeze.  I could list tons more examples, but I think everyone's covered it pretty well.

I also want to take a moment to point out something else.  Bronydom is not a club with some sort of initiation and rules for membership and member dues or something.  Being a brony just means you're a fan of the show.  I often see these, "leaving the fandom" folks, and it just blows my mind.  I mean, some of them wish not to be associated with the community for one reason or another.  Okay, fine.  I'll respect their opinion.  Some may actually decide they don't like the show anymore.  Okay, fine.  But a lot of them say things like, "I'm leaving the fandom.  I wish I could stay, but my friend doesn't like the show," or " I still want to be a brony, but I'm a little tired of watching the show atm, so I'M LEAVING FOREVER.  Thanks for everything.  Goodbye."

How many ways and how many times must I say this?  Being a brony just means you love the show.  You don't have to watch it everyday.  You don't have to buy the merch.  You don't have to spend eight hours a day on the forums.  You don't have to cosplay as a pony.  We're not gonna kick you out if you don't pay your monthly member dues.  Your brony membership is going to expire from inactivity.  The community isn't going to vanish in a puff of smoke one second after the series finale.

Or... will it?  DUN DUN DUUUUN!  Maybe the fandom and forums will disappear overnight!  FIMFiction, Equestria Daily, MLP merch on WeLoveFine and Redbubble, all gone without a trace.  No one will remember what the word "brony" means.  You'll Google "brony" and will just say, "Did you mean...um...'bony'?"  And then it will just give you a bunch of sites about...like...bones and stuff.  Medical journals.  You'll search MLP on youtube, and it will say, "showing results for MLB.  Would you like to search for MLP instead?"  You click yes, and it says, "Sorry, no results."  Yes, I believe this is what will happen.

Edited by Justin_Case001
  • Brohoof 1

Bronies will always be around.... Because MLP is just too good and profitable a franchise to end completely.... Sure the show will move on to other gens, and maybe move in another directions..... But the fanboys will be there.

I agree with others, 5 years is a while off from now. Think of how big the fandom will be then. Also, I can see the fandom lasting a little while after the series finale, but only a while.

i just realized that the fandom will end after/if the show ends. Since only five more years of the show is confirmed (5 more seasons), what will this mean for the fandom?

Hey, there are a few topics posted over the years that discuss the possibility of the fandom ending. I did the merge thing. 

It looks like after a cursory review most replies tend to be optimistic on the future of the Brony Community. MLP has been around using that trademark since I was six years old. I'm 37 now. It had a small but dedicated fandom before the insane G4 explosion. Millions more are now fans of a show that by every metric possible will be long lasting Generation. G4 will not be the end of this IP as it will undoubtedly continue in some form or another. The fandom will too. Wouldn't that be something, sitting there in my 70's talking to one of you on HoloSkype about how I don't understand how G8 fans don't respect what came before. Sounds a lot like discussions I have in Trek and Star Wars.

As long as I have a breath in my body I will consider myself a fan. Bank on it. I am glad to see there are others out there that share my optimism. 

Now, to talk to Microsoft about HoloSkype.

• Brohoof 1

Growing up is a touchy subject for me. I never want to grow up. I just want to run around pranking my friends and live a life of fun. Most adults are bent over their computers working on spreadsheets or treating hundreds of patients! Nah. #foreveryoung

^This. I feel your pain..  >.<

The thought of growing older just sucks, and shouldn't have to happen.

I wish we could all just become immortal, then we wouldn't be dealing with this crap.  -_-

It is sad to think about the end of FiM... I've already witnessed absolute masterpieces expire, such as Fringe, House MD, etc. It will be a very sad day indeed when the show finally wraps up. I will probably still go back because the rewatch value for me is pretty high.

^This, too. This isn't a very happy thought to have..  :/

Thankfully the fandom will continue to go on at least, but still, it would be nice if the show could just...not end. xP (But sadly that's impossible. e.e)

In 2024, 2034, 2044 and so on, your still gonna be able to smile when you see a city cop on horse back

I doubt city cops are even going to be riding horses by then, so I'm not sure if that statement is correct. 

But I agree with everything else that you've said.