Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

how do you feel about teachers

Luna 831

I like teachers who are passionate about their job. The ones that actually care are the best. I hate it when you get a half assed teacher who you can tell would rather be anywhere on earth but in the school teaching. I understand teachers are human and have bad days, but some teachers really don't seem to care.

I feel for teachers. I really do.  New employees at QuikTrip get a higher salary than new teachers with a degree.  Classrooms are getting crammed with more students at the same time schools are thinning out the staff. Most educators have to buy classroom supplies out of their own pocket because the schools spend all of their money on the football team or simply have no funding at all.  They are the only 'State" employees that do not recieve state benefits. They do backflips to keep their lesson plans aligned with the constantly shifting state/national standards and the demands of special needs students because those students don't get help from the counselor/special ed teacher who was just let go for 'downsizing'. On top of this they have to try their damndest to smile as parents berade them over why 'johny' keeps getting a D in their class when it's clear that Johnny is a disrespectful asshole and the parents don't lift a finger to be involved in his education.  This country is so sue-happy that teachers are afraid to break up fights because if they even touch a student they could get fired.  Everything falls on the shoulders of the teacher and they get no credit for anything.  :blush: Phew! sorry about that! *end rant*

• Brohoof 1

I have been very fortunate and had some great teachers over the years though I know that the system is completely and totally broken. They make the schools give out these asinine tests that don't teach the kids anything and so the schools have to waste countless hours teaching the kids to pass them and that is just one of many examples but I am way too tired to go into rant mode now.

• Brohoof 1

Every teacher that I've had has been excellent.  If I need help, they're willing to provide it, if someone has a question, they answer it, and I genuinely learn all the required material from each class that I have.  I can't make a sweeping generalization about all teachers, but the ones that I've had have all been top-notch.  Actually, most teachers I know are willing to grant extensions to me when I need them and are friendly and kind individuals.  I'm content with them, to say the least.  

If teachers are asses and don't make classes interesting / make it so you can't learn anything, they suck. If teacher are cool and actually make you learn stuff, then they're awesome.

If teachers are asses and don't make classes interesting / make it so you can't learn anything, they suck. If teacher are cool and actually make you learn stuff, then they're awesome.

There are sometimes the teachers that join just because they want to feel better about themselves by having each student be so loyal to them saying "Oh you're so cool", or the teacher will pretend that this happens just to get fulfillment in life. When I had a teacher like this and I didn't kiss her behind she would try to get me in trouble for it.

There are sometimes the teachers that join just because they want to feel better about themselves by having each student be so loyal to them saying "Oh you're so cool", or the teacher will pretend that this happens just to get fulfillment in life. When I had a teacher like this and I didn't kiss her behind she would try to get me in trouble for it.

While a large population of teachers get 'burnt out' in their profession over time, noone has gone into teaching without having some desire to truly help children.  Changing the lives of the youth is the TOP motivating factor for becoming a teacher, not money or praise.

I see it this way...

Your teacher is either nice, or not so nice.

I appreciate what teachers do. I mean, they're committed to helping children get a proper education. However, I can't seem to respect the teachers who are rude and don't have a grey middle.

When I was in high school, it was crucial that you made friends with your instructor, because they picked favorites and treated their "favorites" so much nicer.

It was an unfair unofficial system :/

At least in my school, I see teachers doing less and less these days. I've had about 4 teachers this year that actually went in front of the class and taught. The others just handed out worksheets or said read page so and so and do this homework.

My science, English, band, and math teacher would always go and make sure everyone understood the assignment and what we were learning. My Social Studies teacher would just hand out worksheets or projects (that took forever to complete) and tell us to complete it.

The teachers at my Middle School so do little like they used to do at my Elementary school. Hopefully high school will be better than my middle school. I'm very nervous to see what is in store for high school this year though...

While a large population of teachers get 'burnt out' in their profession over time, noone has gone into teaching without having some desire to truly help children.  Changing the lives of the youth is the TOP motivating factor for becoming a teacher, not money or praise.

While it might not apply to all teachers, there are those who are in it for the money. What happens is a person chooses education for a degree because it seems to be the easiest. Then, when they get there they realize it was a wrong choice, but don't want to go through the effort of trying to get a different degree or don't really care.

(edited)

I tend to not like most of my teachers. However, there are a few that I've had that have been absolutely phenomenal, ones who actually made me enjoy their class :)

I'm seriously considering becoming a teacher (English or History) and my goal would be to be like those teachers, ones who actually care about the kids and who enjoy teaching (unlike some of these bums who ramble on in monotone and then give you tons of busy work and couldn't care less about you)

Edited by LZRD WZRD
  • Brohoof 1

While it might not apply to all teachers, there are those who are in it for the money. What happens is a person chooses education for a degree because it seems to be the easiest. Then, when they get there they realize it was a wrong choice, but don't want to go through the effort of trying to get a different degree or don't really care.

I'm sorry but I just do not feel the same way. I am one of those people who got a degree in that field and I can tell you that this is not the case.  It is made clear from the beginning that teaching is not a cushy job with benefits and has some of the worst pay out there.  Especially with secondary educators (middle through highschool) the standards are increased and university students are required to have a focus and test proficiently in each area they wish to be qualified for on top of hours upon hours of research prompts of the child psyche and whatnot.  It takes a LOT of work and time to go though university to obtain this profession and with all of the required internships you have plenty of opportunity to figure out if the work is right for you.

• Brohoof 1

I tend to not like most of my teachers. However, there are a few that I've had that have been absolutely phenomenal, ones who actually made me enjoy their class :)

I agree. Most of my teachers I end up not liking very much but I loved both my band teachers in middle school and my 2nd grade math teacher. They were all so sweet. My 2nd grade teacher used to take me and my friends to the pool or the mall. She's still one of my favorite teachers <3

I'm sorry but I just do not feel the same way. I am one of those people who got a degree in that field and I can tell you that this is not the case.  It is made clear from the beginning that teaching is not a cushy job with benefits and has some of the worst pay out there.  Especially with secondary educators (middle through highschool) the standards are increased and university students are required to have a focus and test proficiently in each area they wish to be qualified for on top of hours upon hours of research prompts of the child psyche and whatnot.  It takes a LOT of work and time to go though university to obtain this profession and with all of the required internships you have plenty of opportunity to figure out if the work is right for you.

You would be surprised. I know teachers that would rather have a different job and hate their field.

Dont hate on teachers!There are some teachers who get bullied in class,teachers for which is hard to make their lesson to the hard headed dumb students,which dont listen and dont give a shit about teachers lr anyone.Im talking like that cuz here there are some teachers like that(not bullied,but ignored while in class) here in my dumb school.

And you know,there are the douchebag teachers who just stay there and dont do shit,just waiting for the big,green stack to come to their hands.These ones deserve the hate

You would be surprised. I know teachers that would rather have a different job and hate their field.

And for good reason too. Being constantly belittled and disrespected in a job that doesn't pay well will cause a lot to leave.  But don't say that they went into it already hating it.  It takes abuse for a teacher to get that way.

I actually want to become a teacher. And I want to become one to help teens and childeren learn about something that means a lot to me.

I also see that a lot of people seem to say that its all the teachers fault when a child doesn't learn correctly, and that teachers use shouting and that that isn't good for the child. Well, if you warned someone for 10 times, and they still don't pay attention, then it isn't the teachers fault. Being a teacher is not an easy profession, and sometimes we also need to take a look at the child and how he is behaving, and not just at the teacher

• Brohoof 1

And for good reason too. Being constantly belittled and disrespected in a job that doesn't pay well will cause a lot to leave.  But don't say that they went into it already hating it.  It takes abuse for a teacher to get that way.

I'm sorry, but you are acting as if everyone gets into the field they wanted. Not everyone does. Sometimes people get into it because of financial problems. It just depends on the situation.

I'm sorry, but you are acting as if everyone gets into the field they wanted. Not everyone does. Sometimes people get into it because of financial problems. It just depends on the situation.

Wouldn't you say that paying to go to school for four years to get a degree would be working towards something that you want?

Saying someone goes into this field for money is just...

Most teachers have to work multiple jobs to support themselves because they have horrible pay at the schools.  The ones that don't work multiple jobs usually have a spouse with higher pay that fills the gaps.

• Brohoof 1

That might be, but teacher is not something you one, two, three, are able to do. You have to study for it. LONG for it. Then when your finally a teacher, you have a class of childeren/people in front of you who spend more time doing their hair in the morning then they do on their study. And then at the end of the year saying you were a bad teacher because they didn't take the effort to study and pay attention

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Wouldn't you say that paying to go to school for four years to get a degree would be working towards something that you want?

Saying someone goes into this field for money is just...

Most teachers have to work multiple jobs to support themselves because they have horrible pay at the schools.  The ones that don't work multiple jobs usually have a spouse with higher pay that fills the gaps.

Well, I think we are starting a debate here and I don't want to argue the issue, so let us agree to disagree shall we?

That might be, but teacher is not something you one, two, three, are able to do. You have to study for it. LONG for it. Then when your finally a teacher, you have a class of childeren/people in front of you who spend more time doing their hair in the morning then they do on their study. And then at the end of the year saying you were a bad teacher because they didn't take the effort to study and pay attention

Oh please don't go towards that route of debate. I have had teachers that I had paid attention to their class all the way through and they sucked. Don't give my crap saying the student is always the problem. Sometimes, it is the teacher that is the problem.

EDIT: I then began teaching myself stuff and I learned it much more quickly then when under teacher help. That is how I got where I am as a programmer and mathematician.

Edited by BronyPony