Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Paradoxes and Such things That are Hard to Think about.

That Horse

yonkers is a whole song full of paradoxex like:

Rappin as Im mockin deaf rockstars.

wearing synthetic wigs made of andwuar dreadlocks

im an overachiever, so how about i start a team of leaders

and pick up stevie wonder to be a wide receiver?

its been a couple months and tina still aint perm her fucking weave

I just want to know if my father would ever like me/but idgaf so he's probably just like me

(edited)

The sound of one hand clapping.

that's a wave. (Death of Diskworld's answer :P)

Technically speaking, i heard theorists which think that travelling time will result you going through time in a parallel world.

That reminds me of Soul Reaver 2 where Kain tries to change the past. I also found the main plot of that game interesting Kain risks a "Fatal Paradox" by basically triggering two paradoxes simultaniously to produce a 3rd outcome "the edge of the coin" as he puts it. I wonder if theres a scientific term for that XD

Edited by Shire Pony Malinter

(edited)

Here's a paradox for you.

img-2863924-1-66075.jpg

There are two of them.  :lol:

Here's a medical paradox:

post-2257-0-59439600-1405755094.jpg

This. Sentence. Is. FALSE!

Don't think about it...! Don't think about it! Don't think about it! 

Edited by Sunny Fox
  • Brohoof 1

English version is: Does a set containing sets contain itself?

It is Russell's Paradox.

It goes like this. Let R be the sets of all sets that are not members of themselves. If R is not a member of itself then it contains itself and that leads to a contradiction as written in your  equation. 

• Brohoof 1

It is Russell's Paradox.

It goes like this. Let R be the sets of all sets that are not members of themselves. If R is not a member of itself then it contains itself and that leads to a contradiction as written in your  equation. 

Oh, i didn't think somebody would recognize it so quickly! Still, it's a pretty common and known one :D

I pose a conondrum to ALL of you p3wnies. Isn't time travel a paradox, since you're traveling to before you traveled to that time, so it would jut create an infinite time loop?! It seems logical to me. Post your parapoopparadoxes here, and hope I don't rationalize them!

You're theory, sir, is self defeating. If you are in a self-replicating time line, you no doubt have a time machine, which means one could travel to the point after the event in question and continue time in a...straight line. Alternatively, you could influence events such that you alter time and the younger you fixes the problem himself.

(edited)

This sentence is false.

Can an omnipotent god make a rock so heavy that he/she cannot lift it?

The Hilbert Hotel. There is a hotel with a countably infinite amount of rooms, all of which are occupied. A man enters the hotel and asks to stay for the night with a room all to himself. Despite the fact that all of the rooms are filled, the man at the front counter has a clever trick up his sleeve. He moves the person in room one to room two, the person in room two to room three, the person in room three to room four, and so on. This goes on forever, leaving room one empty for the man to stay for the night. Although the hotel was already full, there was still room for more guests.

Zeno's Paradox. Achilles is racing against a tortoise, and the tortoise gets a one-hundred meter head start. Achilles races up to the spot where the tortoise was, but by the time he reaches that spot, the tortoise has travelled ten more meters. Achilles races up ten more meters to the spot the tortoise reaches, but by then the tortoise has already travelled one meter. Achilles dashes one meter, but by then the tortoise has travelled ten centimeters. Does Achilles ever catch up to the tortoise?

Thomson's lamp. It's made using a combination of Grandi's Series and the trivial convergent series, 1+1/2+1/4+1/8... You have a lamp, and the lamp's light is turned on. You wait a minute, and you turn the lamp off. You wait thirty seconds, and you turn the lamp on. You wait fifteen seconds, and you turn the lamp off. By the time two minutes has past, you would have turned the lamp on and off infinitely many times. Is the lamp on or off? Not exactly a paradox, but the question is still interesting.

Edited by Asterisk Propernoun
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

None of you posted true paradoxes, 'cause a paradox is not a paradox, while being a parodox.

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEch!

That concludes my periodic screeching

Edited by SCS
Removed page clutter

THIS. SENTENCE. IS. FALSE! Don't think about it, don't think about it, don't think about it.

Here's a paradox for you.

img-2863924-1-66075.jpg

There are two of them.  :lol:

I don't get it...

• Brohoof 1

This sentence is false.

Can an omnipotent god make a rock so heavy that he/she cannot lift it?

The Hilbert Hotel. There is a hotel with a countably infinite amount of rooms, all of which are occupied. A man enters the hotel and asks to stay for the night with a room all to himself. Despite the fact that all of the rooms are filled, the man at the front counter has a clever trick up his sleeve. He moves the person in room one to room two, the person in room two to room three, the person in room three to room four, and so on. This goes on forever, leaving room one empty for the man to stay for the night. Although the hotel was already full, there was still room for more guests.

Zeno's Paradox. Achilles is racing against a tortoise, and the tortoise gets a one-hundred meter head start. Achilles races up to the spot where the tortoise was, but by the time he reaches that spot, the tortoise has travelled ten more meters. Achilles races up ten more meters to the spot the tortoise reaches, but by then the tortoise has already travelled one meter. Achilles dashes one meter, but by then the tortoise has travelled ten centimeters. Does Achilles ever catch up to the tortoise?

Thomson's lamp. It's made using a combination of Grandi's Series and the trivial convergent series, 1+1/2+1/4+1/8... You have a lamp, and the lamp's light is turned on. You wait a minute, and you turn the lamp off. You wait thirty seconds, and you turn the lamp on. You wait fifteen seconds, and you turn the lamp off. By the time two minutes has past, you would have turned the lamp on and off infinitely many times. Is the lamp on or off? Not exactly a paradox, but the question is still interesting.

Fun one.

Another fun one.

That's the thing about infinity, there is always room for more.

Yes. The gap gets smaller and smaller, but eventually it becomes zero, and indeed becomes negative. Yes, on paper it suggests that there is always a gap, but we know that this is not so.

Just a variation on Zeno's Arrow.

Fun one.

Another fun one.

That's the thing about infinity, there is always room for more.

Yes. The gap gets smaller and smaller, but eventually it becomes zero, and indeed becomes negative. Yes, on paper it suggests that there is always a gap, but we know that this is not so.

Just a variation on Zeno's Arrow.

Both Zeno's Arrow and Thomson's Lamp involves dividing time. However, other than that, I'm failing to see how they're variations of each other.

I am a robot, and this topic offends me.

All the good paradoxes were taken already. My personal favorites are time travel. I know it gives Captain Janeway from Voyager the biggest headache..

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's a pair of docks. Get it?

Oh, I get it! The shoe brand, right?

EDIT: You meant paradox. I'm stupid. That still flew over my head, I had to look it up.

Edited by RainbowDScout

You all.. Are a bunch of Pegasi, unicorns, earth ponies, zebras, buffalos, horses, and other creatures

And since I'm a unicorn, I have no clue what the deal with preening is. Why do pegasi have feathers?!