Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Paradoxes and Such things That are Hard to Think about.

That Horse

I pose a conondrum to ALL of you p3wnies. Isn't time travel a paradox, since you're traveling to before you traveled to that time, so it would jut create an infinite time loop?! It seems logical to me. Post your parapoopparadoxes here, and hope I don't rationalize them!

(edited)

Yes, time travel creates a paradox, and thus making it impossible.

I've got one for you. it's called the Paradox of the Hanged Man.

A man is condemned to death and the judge declares that he will be hanged on a morning in the following week. But the day will remain a total mystery. he will know the day only when the guard will come knock on his cell door. The only thing he knows is that the hanging cannot take place on the week-end.

Back in his cell, the prisoner starts to think about his sentence. Now, he knows it cannot take place on a Friday because if he survives up until Thursday, then the hanging can only take place on a Friday thus cannot be a surprise.

Now, it cannot be a Thursday either because he already established that it cannot be a Friday. So, if he survives up until Wednesday and knowing that it cannot be a Friday then the Thursday will not be a surprise.

Now, using this logic, he also rules out Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

He now thinks that the hanging will never take place.

On the next week, the guard comes knocking on his door on the Wednesday, which despite all this thinking is a total surprise to him.

The judge was right.

I did not come up with this paradox. In fact, it is a very ancient one. So, what do you think ?

Edited by boiteporte
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

How's that a paradox, box? hox jox kox lox xox sox xox xoxi sockx

Well, this is what im thinking: he must've been hung on the days it was said that he wasn't, because it contradicts itself within logic.

How's bout's this, Wankers's's's's's's. THat's the paradox's's's. You can put an endless chain of 's's's infront of a phrase.

Edited by Scilight Paitanibu

HOw's that a paradox, you're a cat, and I'mma murder you with a flask of anomolous materials , a hammer, and a radioactive isotope!

Oh, right, Schrodinger did that.

Here's a paradox: Celestia gave birth to Tirek. (Obviously that's untrue in the canon cannon)

(edited)

I have another one.

Alex is a very powerful guy. In fact, he can predict human behaviors almost perfectly.

Now, there is a game. In front of you are two boxes. : Box A and box B.

You can take the contents of either both of the boxes or just box B.

Box A contains 1000 euros and the contents of box B depends on the following :

Before the game starts, Alex will try to guess whether you will take both boxes or just box B. If he thinks that you will take both boxes, then box B will contain nothing. If he thinks that you will only take box B, then it will contain 1 000 000 euros.

When the game starts and you make your choice, the guess has already been made so box B has already been filled or not and Alex can no longer change anything.

You know the rules of the game and you know Alex is almost never wrong.

What do you do ?

This is a thought experiment created by Professor William Newcomb and is a paradox because it contains two distinct strategies which both seem logical but are in fact totally different.

The first strategy consists in taking both boxes.without taking Alex's guess into account. If Alex thought that you were going to take both boxes, then he put nothing in box B and in doubt, taking both boxes will reward you with 1000 euros. If, on the other hand, he thought that you were only going to take box B, then that means there is 1 000 000 euros in box B and by taking both boxes, you total gain is 1 000 000 + 1000 euros. So, taking both boxes seems like the best choice.

The second strategy consists in only taking box B. We know that Alex is almost never wrong. So, if you take both boxes, you know Alex will almost certainly have guessed it so you'll get only 1000 euros. On the other hand, if you take only B, then since he will almost certainly have guessed it as well, then you'll get 1 000 000 euros.. So, this is the best strategy.

So, what do you think ?

Edited by boiteporte

Yes, time travel creates a paradox, and thus making it impossible.

I've got one for you. it's called the Paradox of the Hanged Man.

A man is condemned to death and the judge declares that he will be hanged on a morning in the following week. But the day will remain a total mystery. he will know the day only when the guard will come knock on his cell door. The only thing he knows is that the hanging cannot take place on the week-end.

Back in his cell, the prisoner starts to think about his sentence. Now, he knows it cannot take place on a Friday because if he survives up until Thursday, then the hanging can only take place on a Friday thus cannot be a surprise.

Now, it cannot be a Thursday either because he already established that it cannot be a Friday. So, if he survives up until Wednesday and knowing that it cannot be a Friday then the Thursday will not be a surprise.

Now, using this logic, he also rules out Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

He now thinks that the hanging will never take place.

On the next week, the guard comes knocking on his door on the Wednesday, which despite all this thinking is a total surprise to him.

The judge was right.

I did not come up with this paradox. In fact, it is a very ancient one. So, what do you think ?

This is a bit like a self-fulfilling prophecy, good find. :D

This one is fun, I won't go into it in detail now since I'm typing on a phone:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raven_paradox

Here's a paradox for you.

img-2863924-1-66075.jpg

There are two of them.  :lol:

I thought this was usose to be an optical illusion or something at first,

Then I got it and buried my face in my hands with shame

• Brohoof 2

Does a set of all sets contain itself?

Are you talking about Russell's Paradox ?

If yes, we are talking about a set of all sets that are not members of themselves. 

Are you talking about Russell's Paradox ?

If yes, we are talking about a set of all sets that are not members of themselves. 

How bout this one: Can you deliver...that which is not delivery?!

enhanced-buzz-28800-1375373212-35.jpg

• Brohoof 3

I have accepted the fact that everything I've ever done is meaningless because there are billions of other universes that did it differently and no one will ever think anything of it. 

here's one!

the number one rule in science is that you cannot create something out of nothing

now scientists say that in the beginning there was nothing, and then the big bang just...happened!

but if nothing existed to begin with, then how did the creation of our universe start?

(edited)

here's one!

the number one rule in science is that you cannot create something out of nothing

now scientists say that in the beginning there was nothing, and then the big bang just...happened!

but if nothing existed to begin with, then how did the creation of our universe start?

Our lord and savior, Gabe Newell. He who refrains from the third digit, in all its forms.

tumblr_m0brgmCBa81qzwtdlo1_500.jpg

Edited by Lord Megatron
  • Brohoof 4