Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are Celestia and Luna natural alicorns?

UnshapenConch51

Were Celestia and Luna born Alicorns? (I would like to think so) or were they made similar to Twilight and Cadance.

Lauren Faust says they were born but the series isn't following her original ideas. Meghan McCarthy says Twilight won't outlive the other ponies, could this mean they may become alicorns or their life span increased? or are Luna and celestia natural born which is why they have a very long life span? 

I have my own opinions I just would like to know some others :D

post-29314-0-67705400-1409173750.jpg

post-29314-0-01919200-1409173757.jpg

I think that Celestia and Luna were born alicorns which grants them immortality. Because, in mythology, alicorns are immortal.

Now, Twilight may be an alicorn, but she was not born alicorn and that may explain why she will not outlive her friends.

• Brohoof 2

Whether Twilight is immortal or not I don't know, but I believe Celestia and Luna are definitely a higher rank of alicorn than Twilight and Cadence. (Speaking of which, does anyone know how Cadence became an alicorn?) I'm basing this solely on how they're illustrated: Celestia and Luna have ethereal manes and tails, and longer horns. Cadence also has a long horn, but a normal mane and tail. 

This brings up another question I have: Why is Luna smaller than Celestia, but Nightmare Moon was the same size? 

Ugh, sorry to bring up more questions than I answered, alicorns are complicated!  :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 1

Whether Twilight is immortal or not I don't know, but I believe Celestia and Luna are definitely a higher rank of alicorn than Twilight and Cadence. (Speaking of which, does anyone know how Cadence became an alicorn?) I'm basing this solely on how they're illustrated: Celestia and Luna have ethereal manes and tails, and longer horns. Cadence also has a long horn, but a normal mane and tail. 

This brings up another question I have: Why is Luna smaller than Celestia, but Nightmare Moon was the same size? 

Ugh, sorry to bring up more questions than I answered, alicorns are complicated!  :okiedokielokie:

They say that in the comics (the ones I haven't read yet) Cadence was a Pegasus but became an alicorn by defeating an evil witch pony thing with love or something. Also Luna's the younger sister and hate and jealousy makes you look older, right?

The show staff has said that Celestia and Luna were born alicorns. The journal of the two sisters is vague on their immortality. It says that alicorns age differently at a much slower rate but doesn't touch on whether or not they are immortal. The staff is good about expanding the characters without stepping on fanon and since Amy Rogers wrote it, it stands to reason that she did the same here.

Cadence was originally a pegasus and became an alicorn in one of the GM Berrow books. The show staff has confirmed that is canon to the show and uses it instead of an episode to show how she became one. Since Cadence ages normally, it's assumed that Twilight does as well.

I personally believe that Celestia and Luna are immortal while Cadence and Twilight are not. I long ago stopped getting too invested in the show's canon and where the books and comics fit in it. I prefer my head canon nowadays. More fun, less butthurt.

• Brohoof 1

Also Luna's the younger sister and hate and jealousy makes you look older, right?

I've considered the age difference, but I never liked it because of how old they both are relative to the other ponies. Although I guess Luna is little bigger than the rest of the ponies, and especially if her 1000 years in the moon suspended her growth.... hm. I guess another thing to consider would be how much younger is Luna than Celestia? If they were born alicorns then their parents could have been alicorns and "immortal," so it's possible Celestia and Luna could have quite a bit age gap. 

Still doesn't solve the Nightmare Moon growth issue though lol.

• 2 months later...

being possesed my nightmare forces and celestia is taller because she is older, I don't kniw how big thier age gap is though.

As to PC & L's size.  Some critters grow to adult size fairly quickly & then continue to grow slowly.  IMO, alicorns do this & that is why they are so large.  They are older than the others & thus are bigger

It is canon that PC couldn't fully access the Elements because she didn't completely understand friendship.  Thus, there MUST be some other way to become an alicorn.  Doesn't prove PC & L were born alicorns, though that is a logical possibility.  It is possible this is why she couldn't transform Starswirl.

Where does it say Twilight won't outlive her friends?  Is it possible the source was mistaken?  Or fibbing to spare Twilight's feelings? Perhaps the source was prophesizing that they would all die in the same battle.  Yep, that would do it.

Off topic.  Seems to be a lot of confusion about when Starswirl lived.  I point out there are 5 English Kings named George, 18(?) French kings named Louis & a bunch more named Henry.  Perhaps the confusion arises because there was more than 1 wizard named Starswirl & their deeds are getting scrambled together.

They say that in the comics (the ones I haven't read yet) Cadence was a Pegasus but became an alicorn by defeating an evil witch pony thing with love or something. Also Luna's the younger sister and hate and jealousy makes you look older, right?

It was not a comic, but rather a chapter book which specified Cadance's pegasus to alicorn ascension

And to answer the thread, yes, they were alicorn-born, in fact, it's even mentioned in the journal that there were more around. It's also mentioned they age slowly, and get their cutie marks much later than other foals  

• Brohoof 1

I've heard rumors that Cadence used to be a pegasus but who knows.

This is actually true and confirmed. There's a book called "Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell", Cadence tells Twilight in this book about how she was a Pegasus before she was an alicorn.

To answer this question, I'm saying yes to Celestia and Luna being natural Alicorns. They live forever, and have the flowing manes. Artificial Alicorns, like Twilight and Cadence, don;t have those perks. ^^"

I am pretty sure they were born as alicorns, I will for one go by the original idea, Celestia and Luna have been around for 1000s of years and I cannot see Cadence and Twilight to be the same and Twilight/Cadence will likely have a shorter lifespan than the sisters whilst the princesses have  STILL got 1000s of years to go, (or immortal in that matter)

I don't know for sure if Twilight has the life lifespan or not but at least I am pretty sure the two sisters are natural alicorns.

This is actually true and confirmed. There's a book called "Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell", Cadence tells Twilight in this book about how she was a Pegasus before she was an alicorn.

To answer this question, I'm saying yes to Celestia and Luna being natural Alicorns. They live forever, and have the flowing manes. Artificial Alicorns, like Twilight and Cadence, don;t have those perks. ^^"

I think they are natural alicorns because they doesn't age :okiedokielokie:

thinking about princess celestia is even older than granny smith makes it really weird :wau:

I am pretty sure they were born as alicorns, I will for one go by the original idea, Celestia and Luna have been around for 1000s of years and I cannot see Cadence and Twilight to be the same and Twilight/Cadence will likely have a shorter lifespan than the sisters whilst the princesses have  STILL got 1000s of years to go, (or immortal in that matter)

I don't know for sure if Twilight has the life lifespan or not but at least I am pretty sure the two sisters are natural alicorns.

To answer all of you, Faust herself said Celly is a natural alicorn, and the Journal of the Two Sisters only repeated that affirmation, plus Luna. And about their lifespan, the same book mentions they're not immortal, but age much slowly than the other ponies, and that includes getting their cutie marks much later

It seems like the royal sisters are most likely born alicorns and not immortal but simply highly magical beings that age slowly. What I would like to know is where alicorns even originate from and why they were made princesses in the first place. They weren't mentioned in hearth's warming eve with the other ponies or given much back story.

It was not a comic, but rather a chapter book which specified Cadance's pegasus to alicorn ascension

And to answer the thread, yes, they were alicorn-born, in fact, it's even mentioned in the journal that there were more around. It's also mentioned they age slowly, and get their cutie marks much later than other foals

The name of the chapter book is 'Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell'. I haven't actually read it but I have skimmed some of the information from it on different sites.

You say there are more alicorns? Does the journal give any details about Celestia's and Luna's parents? Or indication where the other alicorns are? I haven't been able to get a copy myself you see and finding any valid, canonical information on this subject can be difficult.

• Brohoof 1

As many have already stated, it is canon that Celestia and Luna were born alicorns. Their exact lifespan has not been officially confirmed, but they are at the very least extraordinarily long-lived, or actually semi-immortal. (I say "semi" because it would be not dying of old age. I assume that they could die in other ways.) 

It is also confirmed canon that Twilight and Cadance were born as normal ponies and raised to alicorn status. Twilight's lifespan will not be past those of her friends. What exactly that means, we don't know.

Where does it say Twilight won't outlive her friends?  Is it possible the source was mistaken?  Or fibbing to spare Twilight's feelings? Perhaps the source was prophesizing that they would all die in the same battle.  Yep, that would do it.

The source was Meghan McCarthy, so I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

There's Princess Skyla, Princess Sterling, and Princess Gold Lily!

Queen Chrysalis is kind of like an alicorn.

But they all suck!

post-30550-0-54864400-1416154781_thumb.png

I meant alicorns who actually mattered and aren't just empty doll products. >_>

• Brohoof 1

Well, as far as i heard in some parts of the fandom, Celestia and Luna weren't originally alicorns.

I can't tell it is the truth, after all.

First of all i've read some fanfics based on Celestia and Luna being originally unicorns,

Those were based on theories too.

They say Celestia first had a pink mane, and was a unicorn.

Luna was also a unicorn (as they said...)

However i don't really know how it was.

But my theory is that, they were originally unicorns...?

Can't tell if it is wrong or is it right...

Edited by DJ Deurp

To answer all of you, Faust herself said Celly is a natural alicorn, and the Journal of the Two Sisters only repeated that affirmation, plus Luna. And about their lifespan, the same book mentions they're not immortal, but age much slowly than the other ponies, and that includes getting their cutie marks much later

Oh wow. ^^

Sources please? If you don't mind.