Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Stuff that scared the $#!@ out of you (and maybe still does)

Cirrus.

I got the idea for this from a ringtone thread lol.

It can be anything, from movies, shows, and spiders, to bendy straws.

Some unknown large animal sniffing my head through a tent wall. :o

About 2 years ago I was camping in northern Michigan and woke up at like 3am to some weird noise. Some large animal was outside my tent next to my head. I could hear deep breathing and sniffing noises. Black bears are known to be in the area. I was scared frozen because I knew it wasn't just a raccoon or dog, since I've dealt with them before and knew how they sounded. Eventually it went away and I went back to sleep... after a while. In the morning there was slobber on the outside of the tent where I heard the noise. There were a ton of leaves and it was dry out so I couldn't find out what it was from tracks.

Unsolved Mysteries (the version Robert Stack hosted from the late 80's until '02).

Even to this day I can't think of a show with a creepier atmosphere.

I was around 5 or 6 I saw an episode and I was scared that there were skeleton bones my basement's sump pump crock (hole in the basement that collects groundwater so our basement doesn't flood). The way this is set up in my basement is kinda creepy- funny thing is my cat is creeped out by it nowadays.

Another episode that scared me was about someone in the attic above this kid's bedroom who was about my age at the time. His parents wouldn't believe him at first. I think he was dressed like a clown or something and would look at the kid in bed through the attic fan vent or something. I spent the next week of nights wide awake scared of every creak and noise from the attic.

ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN (Animated Movie 1989)

The hell scene in particular gave me recurring nightmares when I was like 5 or 6. I'm catholic and this was really the first visual conceptualization of hell I'd ever seen. The angel and the devil saying "You can never go back" also SCARED THE shit out of me.

The funny thing is that IT IS CENSORED from what was originally planned for the scene!!!

For some reason it's still one of my favorite animated movies to this day- go figure. :catface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPGONnhlQ2c

Unfortunately this is the best I could find of it- The sound is crappy but whatever.

Edited by steve88
  • Brohoof 3

The X-Files opening. How utterly horrifying. The music was bearable(and I actually quite like it now), but coupled with the opening video, it was truly the stuff of nightmares.
When I was young, my folks would always watch it late at night. I'd see it briefly when I went out for a drink. Sleep rarely came those nights. Even now, as an adult, it's still a little unnerving to watch the opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbBX6aEzEz8

Edited by Unikitty
  • Brohoof 2

The X-Files opening. How utterly horrifying. The music was bearable(and I actually quite like it now), but coupled with the opening video, it was truly the stuff of nightmares.

When I was young, my folks would always watch it late at night. I'd see it briefly when I went out for a drink. Sleep rarely came those nights. Even now, as an adult, it's still a little unnerving to watch the opening.

I was a kid when this show was on TV in the 90's. When I would hear the song at night when my mom was watching it, I would sneak out of my room and watch from the top of the stairs. I usually never got to watch much because my mom usually always caught me and made me go back to bed.

Edited by steve88
  • Brohoof 1

I was a kid when this show was on TV in the 90's. When I would hear the song at night when my mom was watching it, I would sneak out of my room and watch from the top of the stairs. I usually never got to watch much because my mom usually always caught me and made me go back to bed.

I would do this with a lot of shows. Just not that one. ...or Law&Order, because that show was boring enough for me to willingly go to bed. (I love it now, though)

I still find the opening music creepy as hell to this day. Yeah, this and Zelda from Pet Semetary scare the bejeezus out of me sometimes. 

• Brohoof 2

I was scared of a lot of things, not necessarily just on TV:

-car wash

-plane crash

-dogs

-the dark

-chucky

I'm only afraid of spiders if I have to deal with them (in my home). Otherwise, I'll probably stand there and admire it.

Once when I was 12, there was a dinosaur with red lights that malfunctioned (batteries), so at night, all I saw were the red eyes occasionally turning on, accompanied with a very eerie low roar, so I screamed and well.. Turned out it was my dinosaur lol.

SCP-173. SC-Fuckin'-P-173. That thing haunts me man. Ever since someone on a previous forum sent me to the article on it and I saw the image it was burned in to my mind and it haunts me to this day.

• Brohoof 1

Strictly in terms of fictional things, I'm not truly frightened by a whole lot anymore. 

I love reading SCP articles, but I've read so many only a very small number of them genuinely frighten me anymore.

Movies or stories involving demons and/or demonic possession still frighten me. I just find the idea of that particularly terrifying, even though I don't actually believe any of that stuff is real at all. So, I still find movies like Paranormal Activity frightening, for example, but most horror movies just don't get to me that much anymore.

Certain fictional literary works still frighten me, such as things by Stephen King or the novel House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. I have yet to finish reading the latter. I tried to read it a few years ago, and I had to stop because I found it to be too disturbing. I'll probably give it a second try soon.

• Brohoof 2

I used to be terrified of clowns. There's a photo shoot of me with my brother and my dad when we were little, and in it i'm frowning the entire time because there was a Ronald McDonald statute close by, lol.

Edited by Rivendare
  • Brohoof 1

Ever since the birth of montage parodies, this song has always made me laugh xD

It's probably because I was exposed to it in a different way- one that was meant to be funny, I might add. Different scenarios make for different reactions, I suppose.

As a kid I got scared by that mummy in courage the cowardly dog, and the opening to the goosebumps tv show. 

I love Courage the cowardly dog (my old AOL account from '02 still has him as the avatar)

I was 11 when that episode came out so I wasn't really scared of it. I did think he was creepy.

A lot of people say that episode scared them though.

Edited by steve88

I'll never forget King Ramses from Courage. That voice and creepy CGI model will always scare me. Other things from Courage creeped me out, but Ramses fucking terrified me!

Five Nights at Freddy scared the fuck out of me a few times as well. Fuck you, Foxy and your damn speed!

• Brohoof 1

When I was a very young filly, I enjoyed watching a kids show called Pingu. You all know that lovable aoogah penguin, right? Oh yeah, it was great watching episodes back then.

But there was this one episode I still remember at the back of my head that gave me nightmares back then and still haunts me every time I think about them. It's called "Pingu Runs Away" which told me what happens if someone runs away out in the wild. It's not Pingu running away that scared me...

It's...those devilish, monstrous ice sculptures! They really scared me and I had trouble sleeping after I saw them. Why would they be in Pingu? WHY!? Brr...even though it ended happily, it still made me remember those horrific images. That was why I'll always choose to never watch that episode ever again.

This is what one of them looks like.

post-20535-0-04463500-1409952162.jpg

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 1

The original Dr. Who series were pretty scary-The Brain Of Morbius stands out from when I was a kid.

There actually was a cemetery fairly near my house with old graves in it. One of them had an inscription that read:

'As you are, so was I. As I am, so shall you be'. It remains one of the creepiest things I've ever seen.

• Brohoof 1

Ever since the birth of montage parodies, this song has always made me laugh xD

It's probably because I was exposed to it in a different way- one that was meant to be funny, I might add. Different scenarios make for different reactions, I suppose.

I always get a kick out of seeing thus theme playing in those conspiracy/illuminati parody videos. Nowadays, whenever I hear it, it's in one of those amazing videos.

As a kid, though. There was no internet montages. Just spook.

• Brohoof 3

Ok, I am scared of the sounds of helicopters over head. Not sure why, but at times I am almost overwhelmed by the desire to hide when I hear one when I am in a open area. Never have understood why this happens.

• Brohoof 2