Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Child attempts suicide, being bullied for liking My Little Pony

BronyPony

61 users have voted

1. 1. Should MLP go into the topic of suicide, whether directly or indirectly?

• Yes
    • No

have you ever felt like you wanted to kill yourself?

to get in such a mindset in the first place, you have to be in a mental position in where such a simple solution wouldnt be that easy to do.

No I haven't. But I don't really get how hard it is to just say to a teacher that you're being bullied.
  • Brohoof 1

No I haven't. But I don't really get how hard it is to just say to a teacher that you're being bullied.

let me put it this way:

in order to feel the need to end your life, you have to feel so depressed that you condemn your life as worthless,your very existence as meaningless.

you feel like you don´t deserve the help you could eventuelly get.

• Brohoof 1

Shit like this makes me sick. A kid gets bullied into what fucking killing themselves. Beating someone down until they give up on life. Is this how people feel big? By making someone kill themselves. If I where at that school and I saw that kid gettin bullied I'd rush to him and whip that bullies ass.

Edited by Pvt. Applejack

First of all, even suggesting the idea of doing an episode based on suicide is just wrong. It's not only the wrong way to go about it, but the main demographic is young children, children that are easily impressionable. Children that imitate and roleplay to learn. Not the best idea now, is it?

If anything, tackle discrimination, do an episode on bullying, something like that, where it teaches kids about respecting others, and not to make fun of others.

I just looked at the date of the youtube video. Oops.  :P

But, as a topic in general, should MLP talk about it?

I for one think it would be interesting if MLP did bring this up.

but it is too dark of a subject for mlp, not saying it couldn't be done.

I think they could have an episode with one of the students in Appleblooms class being bullied for something she/he like

but instead of suicide they could have her/him run away and the moral could be about not running away from your problems.

its horribly sad to think about this kind of thing going on... its would be nice to think that if these kids realized what a good show mlp was that they wouldn't treat people like this but its not the case.

if this boy wasn't a fan of mlp they would have been bullying him for something else entirely. that's how they work.

a bully will always find something to make fun of.

the only thing we can do is stay strong and not let other peoples opinions affect us.

though I must say that this is easier said than done.

as bronies we need stand stand up for one another

so that even when thing get dark we will always have a fandom that understands us to turn to in our hours of need.

hX24Ri3.png

I don't think he was a coward

I just think he lost his way for a while.

very hard especially when your teacher doesn't care.

I've been in such situation where people were throwing my books in garbage cans and throwing wads of paper at me in class and all the teacher would do tell them to stop. they never did, and he never did anything beyond that.

it is mind blowing how some teachers can let this kind of thing go on.

I'm just happy that I graduated so I don't need to put up with that kind of thing anymore. 

• Brohoof 4

Society is disgusting.

We're just scratching the surface here. 

---

What bullying teaches is that people will scrutinize you for weaknesses that will enable them to exploit and destroy you for their benefit and/or satisfaction. Not only that, society itself not only turns a blind eye to these problems more often than not. "Man up", they would say.

Sure, perhaps turning to authority figures may sound like a nice option, I wouldn't hold my breath because another important question arises; "are they competent at handling the problem." Should the answer be "no," that's when you must realize that you're on your own. To put the icing on the cake, when you finally snap and unleash the demon that had been developing inside of you as you went through the experience of being bullied without any support, it is you who end up getting punished. Growing up, you may or may not see other more grotesque obscenities occurring in the world. This is the birthplace of misanthropy.

There are many things that society does not provide for. To that end, it becomes difficult for me to see how becoming a lone wolf isn't the natural path. Only you can make sure you are 100% taken care of. Society may provide from some part of it (or not even that depending on your socio-economic status) but only you can go the full mile.

Edited by SunBurn
  • Brohoof 1

We're just scratching the surface here. 

---

What bullying teaches is that people will scrutinize you for weaknesses that will enable them to exploit and destroy you for their benefit and/or satisfaction. Not only that, society itself not only turns a blind eye to these problems more often than not. "Man up", they would say.

Sure, perhaps turning to authority figures may sound like a nice option, I would hold my breath because another important question arises; "are they competent at handling the problem." Should the answer be "no," that's when you must realize that you're on your own. To put the icing on the cake, when you finally snaps and unleash the demon that had been developing inside of you as you went through the experience of being bullied without any support, it is you who end up getting punished. Growing up, you may or may not see other more grotesque obscenities occurring in the world. This is the birthplace of misanthropy.

There are many things that society does not provide for. To that end, it becomes difficult for me to see how becoming a lone wolf isn't the natural path. Only you can make sure you are 100% taken care of. Society may provide from some part of it (or not even that depending on your socio-economic status) but only you can go the full mile.

I agree with everything you've said 

its not pretty but it is the reality.

• Brohoof 1

The Michael Monroe case where he attempted to kill himself by hanging was already mentioned before if I recall here. Infact there's a site where you can go to donate to his family. The donations being used are to create a custom pony statue for him in his honor and memory.

I can't recall te site's location but look up his name and you should find it. I myself donated 20$ to it.

It's really sad...kids are mean and don't even realize they may be hurting someone till its too late...

this fandom stopped me from killing myself!!

Probably going to sound stupid, but I think this show has helped a lot of people get over their darker thoughts. It's helped me, a lot.

• Brohoof 3

Probably going to sound stupid, but I think this show has helped a lot of people get over their darker thoughts. It's helped me, a lot.

you don't sound stupid at all :) , mlp is a very uplifting show.

this is not the first I'v heard of someponies watching it to help with depression.

if you fill your mind with positive thoughts, you will feel positive.

and thats exactly what mlp will do to you  ^_^

• Brohoof 3

So if A Girl Likes Power Rangers it's ok, but if a Boy like My Little Pony it's bad? What's wrong with the kids of this age? Shows you what kind of parents they have. And I bet the kid attempting suicide didn't do anthing to effect those lil brats minds. I bet those bullies play Call Of Duty becuase their Mommy was too lazy to read the ratings on the package. I was bullied growning up, but that was during my teenage years. In my time when i was a kid, in my country you was a nobody if you didn't know none of the FOX Kids, Kids WB, Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon shows. Hell everybody I knew in my school liked The Power Puff Girls, Clarissa Explains it All and Lizze McGurie. Now kids are so testestorne fulled and it's the kids and the parents fault for getting them so. So sad to see the kid in such a state now. I hope he gets better if he could. I know you don't ever recover from brain damage, but I just hope for the best. And the sad thing is TV, Games and other entertainment get the blame for it.    

you don't sound stupid at all :) , mlp is a very uplifting show.

this is not the first I'v heard of someponies watching it to help with depression.

if you fill your mind with positive thoughts, you will feel positive.

and thats exactly what mlp will do to you  ^_^

Do be careful though. Go overboard and you could potentially lose touch with reality. If that happens, only disillusionment can bring you back down to Earth.

I realize that there is a stronger limit to what you can get away with in kids shows nowadays but after hearing this I think My Little Pony SHOULD have a lesson like this. I think the show should start having something like "Twilight says" at the end of episodes. Kinda like what the old Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog had. Even though kids shows no longer mention mature subjects like what to do about sexual harassment and such like how one episode of Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog still I say why not? It's a good thing to teach kids. Same goes for saying suicide is wrong.

This is why I despise most of humanity.  :eww:

These kids think it's ok to tell someone that they are worthless, stupid, and whetever the hell else because they aren't the same as them, and don't like the same things as them. It's not even completely their fault, honestly, it's the fault of this entire broken society. People are alienated for the most ridiculous things, and it disgusts me in some of the worst ways possible.

But honestly, I feel like the kid may have made quite a rash decision (not that I know this entire situation, I just basing my thoughts off of what I saw in the video). It is very clear that we need to educate children as early as possible about depression, suicide, and how to prevent both of them, if we want to prevent things like this in the future.

My heart goes out in the fullest to the kid and his family, and I hope this will change a few people's perspectives on the topic of bullying and child suicide.

Edit: About the poll, no. I don't see how suicide could work it's way into an innocent kids show like MLP without some problems coming with it... At best they could make some kind of metaphor about it, but that would probably sail right over the heads of most of the younger veiwers.

Edited by ZeroTwo
  • Brohoof 2

Directly no.  Hint at no.  I think if they wanted to touch the issue it would need to be vague.  Maybe a filly or colt is getting bullied and feels trapped, alone and scared.  Maybe they try and run away and maybe the CMC help them realize it can get better (since it has for them a bit).

I don't think the topic of suicide should come up, but there should definitely be ore episodes on the topic of depression, in my opinion. Depression rates are getting quite high in today's society and a lot of our fandom comes from people who wanted to get cheeriness into their lives.

Supplemental thoughts after reading the subsequent posts.

Bullying has always existed and will always exist in some form, however to overlook or acquiesce to brutality we perpetuate it. I refuse to see brutality as anything but. I will not give it more power by merely accepting it in due course. Because a battle may be lost, doesn't mean it isn't worth fighting. Society changes and adapts. I do not look at the world as broken, in fact I constant see little pieces of evidence that people are becoming more empathic and accepting. Some of you may not see that now, but as your world expands you may. I certainly hope you do.

Also, do not consider the target audience unintelligent and incapable of understanding the intricacies of metaphor. Raising children has taught be a great deal, and one thing that I accepted early on was that they are aware of a great deal more than you would think. There is a reason why the children's fiction of many generations ago has stood the test of time. Kids get allegory and metaphor which is why a large percentage of kids lit is just that. Do not condescend. Even if you don't 'get it' as a child ... it niggles at the back of your mind. It becomes a thread in your tapestry just waiting for the appropriate time to reveal itself.

Final point, I would be careful before assuming suicidal thoughts can have a simple solution. In fact, it really isn't a good idea to insert your own personal decision process into someone else's life on any serious matter.

• Brohoof 1

Final point, I would be careful before assuming suicidal thoughts can have a simple solution. In fact, it really isn't a good idea to insert your own personal decision process into someone else's life on any serious matter.

I think MLP would be the best way to integrate the message because the writers are geniuses in providing multiple solutions, or solutions that may not be the best outcome, but work in the long run.

• Brohoof 1

Bullying has always existed and will always exist in some form, however to overlook or acquiesce to brutality we perpetuate it. I refuse to see brutality as anything but. I will not give it more power by merely accepting it in due course. Because a battle may be lost, doesn't mean it isn't worth fighting. Society changes and adapts. I do not look at the world as broken, in fact I constant see little pieces of evidence that people are becoming more empathic and accepting. Some of you may not see that now, but as your world expands you may. I certainly hope you do.

More empathy is always a good thing. However, what actions are you seeing being taken? How effective are they being?

Hmm... Here I'm left wondering whether or not some people want some additional information that could be insightful on the whole subject of bullying (and tangentially related, peer orientation) as well as programs that have been effective at attenuating the bullying problem. That is unless the group in question only plans on being angry at the subject and spout "righteous fury".

Call me mean, but I think the whole case with this is the kid's fault.

If you are going to tell people you like My Little Pony and be open about it, maybe you should be ready to get bullied. If you are sensitive and going to attempt/commit suicide over bullying, maybe you shouldn't give people such good bait to bully you. :wat: 

Just saying. Not trying to say it's ALL his fault, but I'd say the majority of it is his.

And no, I don't think MLP should address the subject of suicide. Everyone else saying no has said why.

If you are going to tell people you like My Little Pony and be open about it, maybe you should be ready to get bullied. If you are sensitive and going to attempt/commit suicide over bullying, maybe you shouldn't give people such good bait to bully you. :wat:

Wait, but the same logic could be applied to homosexuals or religious people. In fact, it could be applied to any particular belief. The logic fails because bullies simply try to find a way in, which in this case was his bronyness.