Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did you choose your OC's color scheme?

Wind Chaser

Well I love the color blue so I thought that would make a nice coat color.  The original idea was to be blonde but I ended up not liking the look against the blue coat.  I ended up with the orange and liked it.

For Iris.  I had been wanting to make a new OC for a bit and a friend linked me to a site with color pallets.  I found a muted grey blue and though blond would go well with that for a mane.  I also was shown a pallet that I liked as well (peach coat and slightly rosy colored mane)  my friend sketched a concept picture of here in both pallets for me (because she is awesome and fast)  I showed my other friends the two of them and they all agreed that the blue/gold scheme was better and I liked it more as well so that is what I settled on. ^^

• Brohoof 1

Well I went for forest colors because....alicorn of the Everfree....yeah not too much depth into it...

My OC is set to resemble toast with butter and burnt edges. lol

My OC is set to resemble toast with butter and burnt edges. lol

Best oc ever X3

I actually like the idea....all is said.

• Brohoof 1

Well Bright bastion is inspired by my first roleplay character Rellenor. In WoW he was a member of the Silvermoon Bloodknights (hence Bastions military association [and my addiction to knights]). He was pale with blonde hair, and the glowing green eyes of course. Not wanting to make a white pony with yellow hair, I instead went with a pastel yellow as that's more fitting to the shows style and matched the blonde/gold hair. Also green eyes are my favorite. Green is just my favorite color in general.

• Brohoof 1

Well, for me, I wanted my OC to have a similar mane to Rainbow Dash. (With more then one color) And I didn't want to make something that people saw as a standard when making an OC, naturally, I tried to avoid all the alicorn stuff or stuff that people generally complained about, so I eventually went with the "Green and White" styled mane he has now, and I love how it looks on him.

post-27192-0-14874900-1411499582_thumb.png

As for the coat, I went with a darker color (Gray) because I felt it complimented the Green and White mane/tail colors.

I used Applejack's tail as a basis. But I kinda wanted to create an original tail. I guess I got some artists to do that for me.

post-27192-0-49304500-1411499695_thumb.png

Oh, and the reason his eyes are brown is because in real life, my eyes are brown, and I kinda wanted part of me to be part of my OC, so we got matching eye colors.

Oh, and he wears a hat like Applejack, because I like hats. :D

Frankly, I'm really happy with how he turned out, and he's really popular inside the community as well. (See: http://www.reddit.com/r/MLPLounge/comments/2fxw1r/rate_my_pony_oc/)

Now, since I'm a nice guy. Here's a couple bonuses.

I can't believe I still have this saved, but this is what he looked like back when he was first being made.

post-27192-0-02601800-1411499730_thumb.png

Yep, that's right, he was a unicorn first.

And if you REALLY want to go back, this is what I made back when I had NO knowledge of the pony generator.

post-27192-0-93222200-1411499882_thumb.png

I know, it's horrible. Don't worry about it.

Oh, and just a little screenshot of him inside Source Filmmaker, so that's ANOTHER bonus.

His eyes are green in SFM though, I tried editing the eyes and making them brown but the result was just... hideous...

post-27192-0-08044100-1411500090_thumb.png

Beta version:

post-27192-0-20909600-1411500171_thumb.png

So yeah, I went through 2 cutie mark designs before deciding on the final one (The one he has now.)

Edited by Shadowking58
  • Brohoof 1

I based Will Guide's design of Mickey Mouse, mostly from his Sorcerer Apprentice look

3ab233262fb8e33c0b4c18555db5940d.png

256px-Sormick.png

See that Mickey's red color is Will's fur, Mickey's blue hat is Will's vest, and that Mickey's gloves are Will's glasses? Also, you know how when things get serious, they say the gloves come off? Well, in Will's case, those would be his glasses that come off when push comes to shove.

As for Will's yellow hooves, that comes from Mickey's regular everyday shoes.

256px-Mickey_Mouse_normal.jpg

In truth the hair color and eye color came from my own. The white body color just seemed like one that matched.

They're colors I've found go together exceptionally well. Although, I now like to think of the color scheme like the colors of a winter night.

• Brohoof 3

For my OC Star Azure, I chose gold and a blue cutie mark, based on the colours on my coat of arms, I got from the renaissance festival, gold is the colour of wealth and generosity, while blue is the colour of perseverance and loyalty, according to vendor at the festival, it is interesting because Rainbow Dash and Rarity are my favourite ponies, and my arms closely resemble the elements of generosity and loyalty, nevertheless I wanted to give my OC a balance between charity and action.

• Brohoof 1

Black fur because, well, I like black; red and green mane because I was a huge fan of Phineas and Ferb at the time (I still love that show), and green eyes because my own eyes are green-ish (though sometimes they look blue).

Someone else originally drew the pony for me, and eventually I recreated the design in Pony Creator and came up with a name: Midnight.

(Oh, and the dragon cutie mark is due to the fact that I was obsessed with dragons back when this character was created.)

I based Elo's colors off of a bouquet of roses, because I think the rose brings to mind aspects of her personality such as her love of beauty and nature (and because she's my 'sona and my name is Rose). So, that meant a green coat like stems and leaves and a mane and tail that is a combination of three common rose colors; red, pink, and orange. The base color for the mane & tail is also close to my real hair color. After messing around with colors in the pony creator, I found that muting the green and pink kept her from being too gaudy while keeping the red bright made the character 'pop' and naturally draws the eyes to her face.

• Brohoof 2

Well, I thought about it for a couple of years. I was stuck on the body colour though. Finally, I just asked my friend, "Hey, what colour would I be as a MLP pony?" and it turned out good, so I stuck with it. :muffins:

I'm thinking of a slight redesign of my characters (the ones that only exist in my head at the moment.) as I think they should be updated, but my ponysona was set a couple of years ago, with final design set towards the end of last year.

post-23751-0-28863500-1411674239.png

The coat is cobalt blue (Or is that royal azure? I've forgotten.), any darker and it wouldn't look right. As much as I like the color blue, there is actually an underlying reason for my use of it.

Green eyes because I have green eyes. My actual eyes are slightly darker though.

Black and gold for the mane and tail for a couple of reasons. Mainly the 2 colors (in my eyes) were made for each other. The shape of the mane and tale are from the pony creator (I can't art to save my own life), 

The cutie mark (hidden by the wings) is a generic white helmet. I did have a design that resembled the one I used in GT5, but it was too impractical for me, so plain white it is.

Edited by Indigo Racing
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I wanted a pegasus, and pegasi tend to have coat colors you can find in the sky, so that limited his colors. I think white coated ponies are a bit overdone and I wanted a color that was easy to match a manecolor to without it looking weird. I chose grey because I like Derpy, but I darkened it a bit to make it a bit more masculine. 

The mane and tail color are a bit like my own hair. I took my brown hair that has a tinge of red and just ramped it up to 11 because I like red hair. *Insert Tenth Doctor reference here* The green eyes compliment the red hair well. 

For me, dark colors are relaxing. Blue has always been one of my favorite colors, mainly dark blue. So combing dark blue and black for the hair I think sets a very 'mellow' tone to the color. It has a huge appeal for me. :3 His body color I think compliments everything else. It is also a less harsh tone, to make it more mellow on the eyes.

So that's the general gist of it. I also just loved the color scheme in general. :)

• Brohoof 1

For me, dark colors are relaxing. Blue has always been one of my favorite colors, mainly dark blue. So combing dark blue and black for the hair I think sets a very 'mellow' tone to the color. It has a huge appeal for me. :3 His body color I think compliments everything else. It is also a less harsh tone, to make it more mellow on the eyes.

So that's the general gist of it. I also just loved the color scheme in general. :)

Your OC is pretty adorable. :D

post-27192-0-93571200-1413994148_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

As you can probably deduce from his name, Red Cedar loves trees and forests, so I wanted that reflected in his colours. I chose reddish-brown for his coat for the soil and forest floor, and forest green for his eyes and the highlights in his mane. I made the rest of his mane black to bring out the darker shade of green more clearly.

Red is the colour of Youtube, Netflix and many more video websites and the like, so considering my OC is based around video, I think it fits. I also adore Red white black, and the whole 20th century Russia colours and artwork.

the reason why scaredy cat has her colors is very simple
i wanted to keep her near the colder colors, being how cold is like kinda related to sadness or morning?
i could of made her black, being how thats more related to death in some places. but to be truthfully honest. black wouldn't be very fitting if i was to put her in a crowd.
i also kept by the shows rules, pastel colors, so i came out with a pastel blue color and a pastel violet/light violet for her mane, which was based on a gen one figure, i think retro blossom?
yellow eyes and a red bow tie because it stands out from her violet-blue ness. and thats about it!

Sunny Melody OC Link

I chose the color scheme for my OC, Sunny Melody, to correspond with both her personality and her family. Sunny's mother Sweet Melody, a singer, has a pastel pink coat and bright pink mane. Her father, Sunny Sky, has a bright yellow coat and sky-blue mane.

Sunny's bright and happy colors reflect her bright and happy personality, but also highlight her deep and pensive side, as well as her fiery anger.

Sunny Melody's colors capture her character, and that's how I chose them.