Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did you choose your OC's color scheme?

Wind Chaser

I went for colours that are easy on the eyes and won't offend them (Some OC colour schemes i've seen burn your eyes to look at, with very bright, highly opposite colours that just don't work together).

A golden yellow colour was what I started with on Ion, and originally I had a mild shade of blue for the mane and tail. I changed it to a magenta shade of red (I do like redheads in real life  ;) ) which just worked. I did keep some blue in the mane and tail mostly for story reasons.

• Brohoof 1

I knew I wanted my pony to be grey so that she could "blend into the background".  I wanted a pony that wasn't show-y, a pony that wasn't really remarkable in any way.  And then I added the orange accents to... good god, this is going to sound really cheesy, but to symbolize that even seemingly unremarkable people have a spark of the extraordinary in them.  I swear, I'm not a hippie.  :P

• Brohoof 1

Nearly all of my pony OCs are characters I've previously made quite a time ago, so when I converted them into their horse selves, I just need to base it on their usual attire :wacko:

I can't really say how did I chose those colors originally, only that I pick whatever that I think suit the character best

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I based mine off of the name. When I think of Cinnamon, I think of warmer colors. Especially brown, red, and maroon. My other "OC" Peppermint Frosting, has a color scheme that matches the peppermint candies that they give our near Christmas. :)

sig-3963882.post-31081-0-15892700-143725

I like blue, and his mane is a similar colour (and style) as my hair.

... you can tell I didn't really put too much thought into this. :P

I picked the colors mostly based on personality, for example, Twinkle Hooves and Peachy Keen are both hotheaded, so they got warm-color manes, but they can also be very calm & collected, so they got light coats.

Then some reading on color theory to better understand color schemes and select the actual colors. :P

For most of my Ocs, I just go with the flow and pick whichever two colors look best together. Light brown and green look pretty good together,I think, hence my ponysona's scheme. But I'm thinking about changing it to blue. *shrug* Whatever's best I guess.

• 1 month later...

pinegreen= my favorite color

Black mane/tail= its a good contrast towards an already darker furrcolor so the eye isn't disturebed by RAPID changes. (thunderlane is made in a similar fashion) and in addition my OC may have dark hair because of his roots in the equestrian equivalent of india ^^

gray eyes= again it is a shallow contrast and in addition it supports the color/noncolor-contrast of the oc AND as a bonus it's my reallife eyecolour too

Firstly, blue and yellow look cool :P

Second, the white...I was using pony creator originally and the cutie mark I had must've been a weird file cuz it gave a white background and it just looked dumb. I liked my cutie mark so much that I just thought, "screw it, I'll make him white, no one will notice" :P

So, my OC is white because I'm a stupid who can't work computer files :derp:

I wanted two things in this order

1. Show accurate

2. Unique

Surprisingly very few choose brown fur, despite it looks good, and makes it fit straight into the show.

The darker brown mane fits really good, and was the obvious choice to fulfill my requirements.

I added some red spots on the end of the hair to add uniqueness in combination with the red cutiemark. However I regret those, as they make him less show accurate.

I haven't bothered changing anything about him yet though  :D

Edited by Blaze Bronson

I like the way purple and yellow look together, made a test using a dash vector as a base, and editing it until I got some good colors, sent a tumblr artist the palette test, and asked if they liked it, they basically agreed, save for a few minor tweaks that I made, and BAM! Color scheme!

• Brohoof 1

mine is based off of Snowdrops color scheme... in fact our coats are identical... I chose it because light blue is my favorite color and I loved Snowdrop's coat color... as for my mane it is pure white because white is the secondary color of ice and light blue is the primary... I could get more into detail but this thread only asks about color schemes...

My favorite colors are mossy green and tree bark brown which is why my oc is green and brown, I like the way mossy green blends in with the grass and the tree brown looks, well treeish brown, basically I like when the brown connets with green forming a camo like blend