Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fluttershy got her color scheme from a real life moth?

Dowlphin

Well I can certainly see the similarities but I'm pretty sure its a coincidence but that is pretty much Fluttershy's color scheme so I might be wrong. We should definitely ask the people working on the show about this.

• Brohoof 1

How peculiar, and I doubt it can be anything other than a coincidence though, since Fluttershy's cutie mark consists of butterflies, not moths.

• Brohoof 1

that is a very unusual coloring for...well...any real creature....

I don't think they got her color scheme from this though because of :

1- it's so unusual that this moth isn't widely known and unless someone from the FIM staff are biologists, they probably don't know anymore than we do about this moth....

2- Fluttershy's personality is one of passivity.  She is soft spoken and her coloring reflects how her personality is.  Her colors are pale pastels and those are often associated with infants and "soft" things. 

3- I want to see Twilight Sparkle's animal counterpart....that and all the other Mane cast....I wanna see a purple bookworm!!!

If this is a coincidence, then it's a VERY peculiar one. I mean ... Fluttershy ... flutter ... shy ... moth. Light pink and light yellow moth.

And it might very well be that the show creators know about this moth, since they display a good knowledge of pony anatomy, too.

The alternative:

A mad scientist with a time machine saw MLP, became a fan of Fluttershy, traveled back in time and genetically engineered this moth.

• Brohoof 5

If this is a coincidence, then it's a VERY peculiar one. I mean ... Fluttershy ... flutter ... shy ... moth. Light pink and light yellow moth.

And it might very well be that the show creators know about this moth, since they display a good knowledge of pony anatomy, too.

The alternative:

A mad scientist with a time machine saw MLP, became a fan of Fluttershy, traveled back in time and genetically engineered this moth.

I like the alternative. It makes my inner science fiction nerd and my inner brony giggle with excitement. Then brohoof. :yay:

I think it's a coincidence. Realistically, this isn't a very common moth, so the chances of the MLP team knowing about it are slim to none. But I could be wrong.

It's still an interesting find.

That's a very pretty moth, but I always thought Fluttershy got her yellow color from butter.

This is what most likely happened. Good detective work!

Ummm... I'm gonna have to go with a "no" on that one. 

Though I'm probably biased because I am terrified of bugs and I can't stand the thought of my favorite pony being based of an insect. blink.png

Haha good find though! Very interesting...

How do you handle the fact that Fluttershy has butterflies on her flank?

Well they aren't real butterflies, and they really are just there to represent her dainty nature. Like if (for whatever reason) someone was afraid of lambs, they probably wouldn't get offended from the phrase "gentle as a lamb"

But I must say that if I could I would change her cutie mark.

Isn't Fluttershy a carryover from earlier generations of MLP?  If so, didn't she have the same colors in those generations as well?  Might be interesting to see if the original franchise creator had any knowledge of this moth.

I'm inclined to think this was an interesting coincidence.  That seems like a pretty obscure reference.

Yeah, I would just say that's a crazy coincidence - Fluttershy got her color scheme from G1 Posey, whose symbol had flowers rather than butterflies.

post-13188-0-01443600-1368089258_thumb.jpg

post-13188-0-80113900-1368089248_thumb.jpg

But still, that is really coincidental! And a very pretty moth :o

• Brohoof 3

Rainbow dash must have been inspired by the Rainbow Lorikeet!  And Pinkie Pie obviously came from a cupcake :P, and I am figuring Applejack came from the Golden orange (which is an apple), and Rarity...idk...a flower of some kind...

I am taking this way too seriously derpy_emoticon2.png

That is a pretty odd finding since Fluttershy's cutie mark is butterflies but, her color scheme coming from a moth. That is pretty unusual and very interesting.

That is a pretty odd finding since Fluttershy's cutie mark is butterflies but, her color scheme coming from a moth. That is pretty unusual and very interesting.

I think it might have been, like you said the Butterfly cutie mark and the colours. It is a rather strange coincidence if you ask me 

• Brohoof 1

• 10 years later...