Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your opinions on Rainbow Factory?

FNGRpony

Now i've seen the fan episode done by little dashie and all his stuff is pretty damn silly,

I'm not a huge cup cakes junkie,

but it seems like soilet green meets ponies.

is it worth delving into?

Not really, it generated a lot of hype last year when it was relevant but it's just a poorly written fanfic based on some episode ambiguity. The premise is pretty good, but it could have been done better. Captain Hook and the Biker Gorilla was a much better version of it 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7HrijDkfHc

Rainbow Factory doesn't have the best writing, but I'm obsessed with the evil side of characters so that's really the only aspect I enjoyed. I adore insane, covered in blood, fictional characters, so I thought the fanfic is average, at best. Try it out if you want.

ZB6bSa29EB8.jpg

If you enjoy the evil side of characters then by all means, try it out. If not, avoid it. 

It's a lot of things, but I wouldn't call it "poorly written".  It was actually fairly well written, in my opinion.  For what it was (and that won't be everybody's cup of tea), it was good.  Certainly better written than Cupcakes or Sweet Apple Massacre, in any case.

For the record, even the author of Rainbow Factory doesn't think it's a quality story. Not that they have the final say on the matter, but just throwing that out there. I don't disagree with them. While having pegasi kill their youth that they found to be weak and unworthy is an interesting continuation of the whole Greek motif that they have going on with pegasus society in MLP, and I believe a reference to the idea that ancient Spartans may have done the same thing, I really didn't enjoy it. Even trying to put my love of Scootalove and my general dislike of grimdark fanfiction aside, I can't say there was much to praise. The ending maybe, though it was spoiled for me unsure.png

The sequel to it, Pegasus Device, is actually wonderful though. One of the best fanfics I've read, in my opinion.

• Brohoof 2

Honestly: I thought that if it was paired up with Cupcakes as the prequel and Pegasus Device the sequel to Rainbow Factory, then I would have enjoyed the story lines a bit more. I mean, with Cupcakes, you would see she's killing RD, but you would know why when you read the next two stories. It made more sense to combine the 3. In Cupcakes, there wasn't really a background to why she's killing RD, and what the system was about. If this was all together, it would make perfect sense. 

Pinkie's a mysterious pony, who knows how she earns her bits other then the Cakes. She throws so many parties, you have to wonder how she earns enough to do everything. Then, that would make more sense too because it would show us insight to the system and to why the ponies never realize nothing's right. If she worked for, lets say, Celestia, maybe she could remove whatever there was in trouble, like a police.  What more fitting? That would mean she would find out about the Rainbow Factory after the events in Pegasus Device, but then she would kill the pony that continued it. (More or less, RD. )

I loved Rainbow Factory, but it fell flat for me until I read Pegasus Device. That made the whole story feel better.

For the record, even the author of Rainbow Factory doesn't think it's a quality story. Not that they have the final say on the matter, but just throwing that out there.

That's a good point.  On the other hand, Van Gogh seemed to be convinced that his art was practically useless, and that his skill was mediocre at best.  Now, I'm not saying that RF is The Potato Eaters or anything...just saying that it's a matter of perspective.

• 11 months later...

To be honest, I really do like it. It's an amazing work of art. The link in my post isn't the original video by WoodenToaster/Glaze, but it's the really well animated one. I think it's a really cool video, even though the fact of Rainbow Dash being the captain of it all. 

The ending to the fanfic is literally the saddest thing I've ever read.

Lel. It's awesome. Not as good as cupcakes or smile hd. But still good.

Oh god please don't bring back those memories of Smile HD.

The ending to the fanfic is literally the saddest thing I've ever read.

Oh god please don't bring back those memories of Smile HD.

But it's one of the best videos on youtube. And there is a rainbow facotry fanfic?

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

I thought the sotry was pretty decent. It's pretty short so you don't have to worry about some long ass gorey story. It's really not that gorey.

The second part to the story, however, entitled Pegasus Device, is much more interesting.

It's pretty damn awesome.

Contrary to what some people are saying in this thread, it is based of the song "Rainbow Factory" by The Wooden Toaster in 2011. The song came out a while ago and so did the story. I believe the story first appeared in 2011 as well, by Aurora Dawn. It, along with cupcakes, is one of the most well known stories in the mlp fandom. The song was huge but the story probably got big like in 2012 but idk.

Anyway, I thought Rainbow Factory was ok, but Pegasus Device was great! (both written by AuroraDawn.

If you don't want to have alot of unanswered questions and confused thoughts don't read Pegasus Device XD only downside to it.

Edited by Misscellanio

The song is great. The fanfic? Not so good. It wasn't really that enjoyable. I think it would have been better off being written as a new story rather than the story of the song.

Well the song doesn't really tell the same story. It really just provides some type of tone for the background of the story. The song is simply saying "there's more to the Cloudsdale's rainbow factory then you think! And it isn't nice!" But I do agree that the story was ok at best.

Honestly: I thought that if it was paired up with Cupcakes as the prequel and Pegasus Device the sequel to Rainbow Factory, then I would have enjoyed the story lines a bit more. I mean, with Cupcakes, you would see she's killing RD, but you would know why when you read the next two stories. It made more sense to combine the 3. In Cupcakes, there wasn't really a background to why she's killing RD, and what the system was about. If this was all together, it would make perfect sense. 

No it doesn't make perfect sense at all.

They are two different writers why would they combine their stories especially because I'm pretty sure cupcakes came out first but idk about that.

But the biggest issue is that Cupcakes it literally supposed to be like a gorey horror fic. Pinkie is insane and is killing RD because the voices inside her head are telling her too. She has other characters from the show in her chamber dead, cut up, etc.

Giving her some type of reason for why she is killing Rainbow, and a justified/good reason, would ruin the purpose of the story; I don't know maybe take out the whole horror aspect.

I read the Creepypasta though. (Which is totally different.)

I'm pretty sure they are both the same thing. Well wherever I looked I saw "written by AuroraDawn" who wrote the fanfic.

Edited by Misscellanio

i"ve never really read the whole thing. not gue it wa too gore just eh I don't know reallly. it just a horror story not suppose to take it seriously.

A audio play of it was just man so creepy Edited by BlinkZ

Wait how would they make rainbows before modern technology?I know it sounds weird but think about it.If there wasn't any machinery how would they do it.My theory is that they had to do it by hoof.I mean there is no other way (I think).And that must be horrible for the poor foals.They would needed a better , quicker , more efficient way of turning the kids into rainbow and that's when they would have invented the machine they use today as that gets the job done quick and efficiently

:wub:

• 5 years later...

Personally, I find Rainbow Factory, from what I've read (that being the 2021 remake) to be a story, that although grammatically sound, has a huge flaw in it: the pacing. It is not an effective horror story just because it has gore. It could easily be reformatted to make the abrupt pacing make sense, and even integrate certain fanworks (my personal fantasy for this would be Scoot Hard DX's premise, which takes Rainbow Factory and transposes it over Wolfenstien, and is surprisingly a great game). I also find that most creepypastas can easily be written as what they are: campfire stories.

Here's a crack at that.

Down the burning wood goes, the greater the fire flew. Small hoofsteps interrupted the bouncing sounds of the crackling fire. One, seemed to limp, moving irregularly. Another pattern was moving quickly. Another, barely moved. The logs to which they sat on were delicate in their making, the ridges final and absolute, long lines, somewhat thickened in form, and presently housing fur on them. The fast one, had eyes of orange, although this orange moved and danced with the fire itself. The one limping had magenta eyes, her brow filled with a dark furrow. The one who had barely moved had eyes of emerald. One took a breath. The air moved slowly into her mouth as she began to speak. 

"Do you want to hear the tale of the Rainbow Factory?", the one with a limp, orange bodied and rough in voice, seeming like she was about to cough with every word she spoke, spoke.

The one with the red, burning eyes looked curious.

"Why's ya' limpin', Scootaloo?", she asked.

"Cause I was in the Rainbow factory." Scootaloo said with a tone bordering on anger, but never quite reaching it.

Silence transpired between the three as they soaked that knowledge in, the fire crackling, the dirt looking like a deeper orange than it truly was. 

Another breath transpired, loud and audible.

"Well, I learnt today that a Rainbow's tale isn't quite as nice as the tale of sugar and spice," "I had failed my flight test..."....

I like dark takes on MLP, like The Stars Will Aid In Their Escape, but stuff like Rainbow Factory and Cupcakes just feels like edgy for edges sake to me and I'm not about that personally~

Maybe it's the fact that I was overexposed to RF stuff awhile back to a point where I would see it every other day that annoyed me too.

• Brohoof 1