Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you have a form of autism?

Haruhi-chan

182 users have voted

1. 1. Do you have a form of autism?

• Yes
    • No

No, I don't. But since we're talking about it and many people on this thread have some form of autism, I guess I'd like to ask about it. The thing is, any informational sources tend to be really, really bad at explaining exactly what it is. I'm hoping this doesn't come off as ableist, but a lot of people I see saying that they have some form or other of autism or Asperger's, I wouldn't even be able to tell unless they said anything. Hell, even when they do say something, I still can't tell. Maybe this is a result of being on the internet, though. Whether on a forum or in a video, you're usually putting the best of yourself out there, omitting the parts you don't like or you think other's won't like. So maybe that has something to do with it. From the best I can really gather, it's a lot of missing social cues, and not really understanding or being able to engage in certain social interaction, but to me, this only makes things more confusing, because there are plenty of people who don't have any form of autism who have problems similar to those that I see described. Anyway, I think I might be rambling at this point. What I'm trying to get at, I guess, is that since I think a lot of you could tell me better than some website written from an outsider perspective, what exactly does an autism spectrum disorder entail and how does it manifest from your point of view? 

I almost feel like this shoulda been its own topic. But I feel like I sound kinda dumb about this whole thing, so I don't think I have the confidence to post it as a topic, lol. Anyway, I appreciate any answers.

It's highly likely that I have Asperger's, but I've never been formally diagnosed.

What I do know is that I'm EXTREMELY socially awkward IRL, have more quirks than five of my peers combined, and because of that, I find it extremely hard to so much as hold a conversation with them, and isolate myself as much as possible...

With all that being said, I think you'll find that many people on this site will admit to having autism, as this is as close to a safe haven as you can get, as there's very little chance they'll be ridiculed for being a Sperg!

Indeed. 50 years ago most people who would these days be diagnosed with some kind of ADHD or autistic spectrum disorder, would instead have been told by everyone to stop being such irritating sods.

And 50 years ago nearly anyone with any kind of problem or difference was simply institutionalized (that is exactly what the doctor recommended for me when I was first diagnosed and that was in 1988) when nowadays way too many might still be but far fewer than back then. Some people might make excuses to try to get out of things but with things like Autism it is much more difficult to interpret things like social rules and norms so while it should be made clear that certain behaviors are inappropriate I also don't believe we should crucify people every time they make mistakes like that. Also I think we place way too much value on acting "normal", I really think people should stop thinking about what is normal and abnormal and start thinking about what is and isn't harmful. If you just stigmatize people without making an effort to try to help them and teach them how  to act appropriately than they are just going to withdraw even further and are not going to learn. 

No, I don't. But since we're talking about it and many people on this thread have some form of autism, I guess I'd like to ask about it. The thing is, any informational sources tend to be really, really bad at explaining exactly what it is. I'm hoping this doesn't come off as ableist, but a lot of people I see saying that they have some form or other of autism or Asperger's, I wouldn't even be able to tell unless they said anything. Hell, even when they do say something,

Part of it is because treatments for it have come a very long way with more and more people on the Autism spectrum getting therapies like Early Integration for example which helps mitigate a lot of extremely severe symptoms that would make their cases a bit more obvious. I had some obvious signs even into high school but though it took quite a number of years I advanced to the point where most people can't tell. Of course complicating the matter are people that are much milder that maybe have a few quirks but otherwise seem "normal", it is very common for many of them to suspect something is different about them but to not find out for sure until later in life. There is also a social bias where when people think of a neurological disorder or difference they to think of the really obvious cases where everyone can tell something is going on even if they might not know exactly what. Cases like where an adult is still in diapers or engages in stereotypical behaviors like repetitive motion or "stimming" behavior or violent tantrums that can be triggered by almost anything. There are people on the Autism spectrum that fit this category but there are many that do not because it is a spectrum which admittedly does make it very difficult to describe it. 

• Brohoof 1

Nope, I don't have any form of autism. I didn't know it was so common, either. I've never met someone in real life that has it either...

(/goes to research more about autism)

My idiot so called expert therapist back in 2000 was so intelligent he gave me autism with a 10 minute conversation we had. I am myself, what's this autism you speak of? I swear man the money that can be made off making up diseases and disorders. Just like if you're not in line and get bored easily you have ADHD. You have bipolar for being an emotional human. They got you covered on every thing.

No I don't, but my little brother has classic autism and is mentally handicapped. 
I have (had) other mental issues. I've had therapy for over 1,5 years now and I am pretty stable now. I do understand a lot about autism, and I can relate to some of the symptoms they have very well. 

My idiot so called expert therapist back in 2000 was so intelligent he gave me autism with a 10 minute conversation we had. I am myself, what's this autism you speak of? I swear man the money that can be made off making up diseases and disorders. Just like if you're not in line and get bored easily you have ADHD. You have bipolar for being an emotional human. They got you covered on every thing.

That's ridiculous. You need to know a lot more about a person before you can diagnose them. 10 min conversation.. pff how can he possibly know something like that so fast. Some psychiatrist have just no IDEA what they are doing. 
Also what you say about being an emotional human and get diagnosed with bipolar is just ridiculous, bc bipolar is so much more complex than just being an emotional human. :/
I've had a lot of tests before they diagnosed me with borderline personality disorder.. and I agreed with it. (I was the one asking a therapist to test me on that, but she said I couldn't have it bc I was too smart, HAHAH. What has being smart to do with having a personality disorder. I'm glad she send me somewhere else, bc some therapists think they just know everything, but they really don't.)
I guess you know best what is "wrong" with you yourself, bc you know who you are. Always listen to yourself first before people put a label on your head. Labels are sometimes SO wrong. 

• 11 months later...

I do...but It doesn't seem to affect me that much,

I'm not very good at working with others

or conversing with people

but I don't mind, I'm a fan of solitude.

Guess that's one of the reasons I love the forums,

I can converse with others without ever having to leave my home.

Edited by Vulcan

Actually, I used to be on the autism spectrum. Well, I say "used to". I was on the "low" end with Asperger's. No social skills. No time-management skills, no social skills. I guess I'm one of the few people that doesn't want to date, although that might be the "abstinence-only" education talking. Did some therapy, worked a bit. I'm better now. I realize how badly I was acting before.  :okiedokielokie:  It's complicated.

Edited by Galen Seranno

Nope, no signs of autism here. I've retaken an Asperger's and High Functioning Autism quiz just now actually because I had forgotten my exact results. (We've all been awkward and innapropriate socially It's good to make sure) I've met quite a few with severe Asperger's, and I have a handful of friends with minor cases. They're all pretty down for conversations if you spark the right kind of subjects and are actually really kind, genuine friends even if social queues and behaviors can be harder grasp. It's nothing really be ashamed about. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

Pfft and people get mad when haters call us "autistic horse lovers". Like 45% has already said yes. You gotta admit that there is some truth to it.

Anyway, no I don't have any form of autism.

• Brohoof 1

Pfft and people get mad when haters call us "autistic horse lovers". Like 45% has already said yes. You gotta admit that there is some truth to it.

Anyway, no I don't have any form of autism.

Voluntary response bias. There are so many people that have autism in this thread because it's about autism. But yes, overall there is a higher percentage of people with autism when compared to the general population.

Also I don't have autism, but I've been told that I have slight psychopathic tendencies, so that's something. :D

• Brohoof 1

Voluntary response bias. There are so many people that have autism in this thread because it's about autism. But yes, overall there is a higher percentage of people with autism when compared to the general population.

Also I don't have autism, but I've been told that I have slight psychopathic tendencies, so that's something. :D

Yeah, you're right. But still, I'm wondering why so many people deny offenses when they are true.

Also, I find it somewhat amusing how you're happy about having psychopathic tendencies xD

Yeah, you're right. But still, I'm wondering why so many people deny offenses when they are true.

Because the internet has turned it into an insult. If you make cringe-worthy fan art and fan fiction they call you an autist.

Also, I find it somewhat amusing how you're happy about having psychopathic tendencies xD

I'm not a full on psychopath. I just lack empathy sometimes and, unless it concerns me, my family, or my close friends, I have a hard time finding a single fuck to give about anything. I can fake these things when nessisary so it doesn't really affect my live negatively.

Edited by Twiggy