Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can ponies get tattoos?

Swoony

Can ponies get tattoos or is their cutie mark the only tattoo-like thing in the mlp universe?

What if a pony feel like their cutie mark will mever come and instead got a tattoo over their cutie mark as a replacement? Is this a weird concept? Would the tattoo prevent them from ever getting their cutie mark later?

Even if a pony just wanted some sort of tattoo on their front let or something (while also having a cutie mark). Would this be possible in the mlp universe? There's so many possibilities with this!

I'm mostly asking because I want an OC pony to maybe have a cutie mark and tattoo and I was wondering if that was a weird concept. Even so, I think this is an interesting topic to discuss.

• Brohoof 2

Well, the way I see it, we would have to find a way for ponies to operate a tattoo machine first. Sure they can use their mouths for writing, but can you imagine how hard it would be to operate that with a mouth.

I guess unicorns could it, but they would need an insane amount of focus and concentration to keep the needle precise.

Wow, I feel like i'm getting more into this than I should be...

Edited by Houndoom
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well, lots of jobs in the mlp universe are seemingly impossible for regular earth ponies to do, but they get it done some way with lots of effort. Even so, unicorns could probably do it pretty easily. Precision isn't an issue either, as that is also required for sewing and Rarity handles that just fine. In my headcanon most of the ponies doing the tattoos would be unicorns out of convienance.

Edited by Swoony

I would think that technically speaking, no, ponies could not get tattoos, or atleast not ones that would be visible.

The reason why is because from what we can tell, ponies have fur all over, not skin(i'm going off horse anatomy, since we have to assume it's the same.) sure, the fur is probably not super thick or anything, which is why it has a skin like appearance, but they do have fur if they are meant to be like real ponies anatomically speaking. 

And since tattoo's are ingraved into the skin of an individual, while ponies could technically get them I guess, they wouldn't really be visible. 

Even on their belly's from what we can tell, they still have fur, so they couldn't even get a tattoo there, and I'm not really aware of any other places they don't have fur.

So i'm going to say that it would technically be impossible for them to get a visible tattoo. I doubt if they were able to get one it would affect their cutie marks though. Even if it was visible. Although I have to wonder what would happen if the tattoo ended up where the cutie mark normally goes.

Again, this is just based off real horse anatomy, since these are ponies, and thus, aside from the magical portion and talking and stuff, we have to kinda assume they are the same in terms of anatomy to real horses more or less.

Well it's just another common human practice that could be viable in the MLP universe. Surely makeup and clothes aren't practical for ponies either (if you consider the fur and whatnot, and what kind of makeup would stay on fur that long). Obviously there's a creative licence for a show like this, and not everything has to entirely make sense. I'm questioning more if it makes sense in the tone in the mlp universe and if it's a interesting idea or not.

(edited)

I feel like their'd be some sort of rule in place where ponies wouldn't be allowed to get a tattoo on the spot of their cutie mark if they haven't got a cutie mark yet. And tampering witnh their cutie mark after they get it with a tattoo would most likely be frowned upon.

I feel like tattooed wings and horns could look really amazing if done right.

Edited by Swoony

People always tend to forget one thing. You aren't seeing the pony's skin. You're seeing their coat. Look at this screen capture. You can clearly see that having their coats shaved to get rid of the bubblegum eradicated Snips and Snail's Cutie marks. There is no trace of the Cutie mark on their actual skin. Thus, if they were tattooed, you would not see it once the coat grew back. 

snips.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Ponies usually get their cutie marks when they're fillies anyways, so If a pony wanted to get a tattoo for a replacement of their cutie mark then they would probably be too young to do it.  But then there's the debate with age laws and whatnot and what laws they have about getting tattoos... ahhh analyzing a cartoon horse show  :derp:

:) if there are tattoo's in the MLP universe, I'd love an episode where the CMC try to get fake cutie marks, only to be stopped at the last minute.

jokes aside though.

I don't think tattoo's are possible for ponies since their covered in fur.

so they could get one, but they would have to shave themselves and keep shaving so it would remain visible.

Well, the way I see it, we would have to find a way for ponies to operate a tattoo machine first. Sure they can use their mouths for writing, but can you imagine how hard it would be to operate that with a mouth.

I guess unicorns could it, but they would need an insane amount of focus and concentration to keep the needle precise.

Wow, I feel like i'm getting more into this than I should be...

No worries. 90% of this fandom gets into theories and the show in general way more than they should be. :umad:

Even if they could you wouldn't be able to see it because as you know tattoo ink is engraved into one's skin and as you can see ponies have fur which would cover their tattoo up. So it would basically be pointless to get one.

My thoughts exactly.

Everyone saying Ponies can't get tattoos because of their fur,

YES THEY CAN

In real life, horses that are taken from the wild are "tattooed" with markings on their necks with their information. It's done with a sort of freezing process. It shows on their skin and their coat no matter how many times they shed or are shaved. Trust me, I hang around two mustangs with this kind of "tattoo".

Everyone saying Ponies can't get tattoos because of their fur,

YES THEY CAN

In real life, horses that are taken from the wild are "tattooed" with markings on their necks with their information. It's done with a sort of freezing process. It shows on their skin and their coat no matter how many times they shed or are shaved. Trust me, I hang around two mustangs with this kind of "tattoo".

Huh, never knew that. The more you know.

the-more-you-know-o.gif