Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The emotional states of Bronies

Elegron

If you look at certain outside factors, you'll see why many bronies seem to be "emotional wrecks". Look at the average age of bronies (teens and young adults) and the many ways in which teens and young adults are alienated and disadvantaged in today's society, especially compared to the generations before us. Today we face a more broken education system and a weaker job market than any generation before us. Just as much, the diagnosis of mental illness is going up and more are being medicated or treated in some way, and social isolation is going up as well. People are losing faith and trust in one another, especially in those who lead us, and our political systems are rapidly deteriorating as well.

The reason why so many have converged on the Brony fandom and this show is because they seem to offer hope. The show reminds us of a simpler time when we were younger, and against a media landscape whose standards of quality are declining, MLP shatters all expectations and presents a great show that uses most of the narrative devices correctly and delivers wholesome entertainment with positive values, which were thought to be mutually exclusive when this show came along. Everyone loves and relates to the diverse characters of this show. The best elements of the community, like those here on this forum, are very welcoming, much more than any other community on the Internet. This whole thing is here for good and there aren't many things that exist for good these days.

MLP did the right thing at the right place at the right time. It offered hope to many of us who are struggling with our lives and is being justly rewarded with all of its attention and success.

Edited by Nightwind Boreas
  • Brohoof 8

Keep in mind that we're talking about an aggregate of individuals so be prepared to see contradicting extremes pop up on a dime -- especially in an aggregate made up of a wide variety of individuals such as ours.

Well... I have heard that bronies do tend to be needy and crave attention and, well, that's not very surprising. Even I foolishly rushed in with this ideal that friendship would solve all of my problems. I bumped my nose pretty hard there.

• Brohoof 1

Nightwind Boreas has brought up a ton of good points.  Perhaps the reason I can be in a general agreement with him is that I am one of these trainwrecks in such a position --whether actual or perceived.  The biggest point is, without a doubt, the fact that we tend to agree with the theme of the show and are mostly sick and tired of what we have seen around us; mockery, hatred and exclusion.

Admittedly this show, moreso of the fandom, hasn't quite been helpful to me, but I should have seen it coming.  The ideals held by a majority of bronies clashes with those of a Christian.

• Brohoof 1

A lifetime of hardship has left me feeling like a pretty big emotional wreck, but at the same time I couldn't really care less if someone calls me a name or calls bronies autistic. Names have never mattered to me as much as actions. So, yeah, even though I'm not in a particularly good mood all the time, it really has little to do with me liking coloured horses

Ehh, I've been on both ends of the stick. There have been many times over the past few years when I've been completely fucked in the head, as much as Twilight during one of her adorkable freakout moments. Other than that, I'm usually pretty cool with things. Even if I'm not, I'll rarely let it show.

Edited by Regulus
  • Brohoof 1

I am an emotional mess, fortunately I have not reached wreckage, but coping with PTSD is hard, city life sure did not help, once more, no one ever tried to understand my experience in the military, nor understood what I suffered. Nevertheless, I feel that it is more than our emotional baggage that bonded us together, it is the pursuit of happiness, to be able to talk about magical ponies, Equestria, and their world means to you as an individual, furthermore, it is about being apart of something special, of all the fandoms I have witnessed, this has been a positive experience for me, and I hope I have left a good impression on many bronies that have read my posts, although my emotions run high, I at least can express myself, by posting my feelings with other people to share, no matter what our emotional state is friendship is magic. 

Edited by Emperor Peter
  • Brohoof 1

I believe the reason for that is because everyone has problems, everyone needs attention, and everyone wants a good life - but some people are more outspoken about these needs than others, whether because of pride, because they've been told their situation is fine as it is, or because they feel they don't have it "as bad" as other people. It's not bad at all to want to deal with something yourself, but there will be situations in which you simply can't and it's best to confide in someone. Fandoms tend to unite people because, unfortunately, no matter what you like, no matter where you come from, and no matter who you are, there's always a naysayer walking around out there. Fandoms also can attract people who do terrible things, too; basically, what some outsiders think this fandom is comprised of. And of course, these people stand out because the pony fandom is so large by comparison of other fandoms that slip better underneath the radar.

The main point of it is that there are many people under different walks of life who will watch, play, and just generally like the same thing, but a part of the human condition because of the world we live in results in us suffering from pain, and some are better at dealing with it than others. Perhaps people come across as more "broken" within a fandom because online, people see a safe space to share their thoughts and feelings that they might not see when they're face-to-face, but for all you know the people you're talking to on these forums are people you've passed by on the streets, in supermarkets, or even fellow students within your school.

• Brohoof 1

I think everybody is a little fucked in the head. Bronies are not some group of weirdo outliers when it comes to this, people just think we are.

It's a good point you're making here.

No matter where you look, people are going to have problems. I've seen it just about everywhere.

I'm sure the members of the general public pay close attention to all the emotional outbursts, thus giving that reputation.  :huh:

I have noticed this as well, it seems to me that their are a LOT of bronies that have some real issues in their life, personally I think that's what attracts many people to the show, it's an awesome form of escapism from the real world and life's problems.Sure their are a lot of other more "mature" programs to watch on tv and the internet, but you usually don't get the same happy warm feeling you get watching some gritty cop drama as you do watching a bunch of happy colorful ponies.

• Brohoof 1

The plain and simple truth is that extremes speak much louder than average, that is not to say there aren't plenty of bronies who fit the extremes of nearly everything going wrong in their lives or nearly everything going right but I think the fandom is way too diverse to branch people out into one of those two groups especially because things can change in life for the better or sometimes for the worst. In my own life I have been both extremes and have been in the middle as well and that is also the case with many other people. For the bronies that are depressed in most cases it is due to issues other than getting hate from others for liking ponies, sure that dosen't help and some go through some rather extreme bullying but speaking for myself I have been depressed before ponies and though ponies has helped me a bit I am still depressed after and not because of haters who I don't give a damn about.