Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What games would you consider works of art?

A Black Circle

Almost all games I would consider to be art really, almost. Considering what goes into making them.

However, if we want to point out specific titles, that is easy:

Child of Light

That game is pure beauty, both in the visual and musical areas. I highly recommend playing it.

I'd have to say Journey, Limbo, Okami and Shadow of the Colossus.

Journey, Limbo and Okami, not only had some wonderful artistic visuals, but awesome game play and good stories.
Journey and Limbo were very basic point A to point B, but you felt compelled to keep going, even though you weren't given much to go on initially.
Okami is just.. *mindblown*

Shadow of the Colossus may not have been the most artsy looking game, but there was a feel to world in the game that felt calm and harmonious, which is then later ruined by your interference. It was and interesting idea that I don't think many people noticed about (at least those I've spoken to).

There was one goal in the game, to take out all the colossi to revive your 'girlfriend' but you don't know why she's gone. You just want to bring her back. The Colossi are huge. I mean HUGE! And the process you go though to take them down is just a rush.

If none of you have played it, I suggest you do. It is an awesome game. One of my all time favorites. :D

Mother 3 is art plus it doesn't take itself 100% seriously so it's even better (90% of art games end up being pretentious crap). I guess Earthbound is also art. Klonoa 2 also has a really nice focus on using the music and backgrounds to create an experience which combined with the more lax (But still engaging enough to be actually a good game) gameplay makes it a incredibly good game.

Other than that, Shadow of the Colossus, Bioshock, Mario 64, Smash Bros Melee all those above and beyond games are also some artsy art.

Then again, isn't every game art and we're just sorting the good from the bad?

A lot of games actually

- The Metal Gear series

- Bioshock

- Most Nintendo games in general

- Okami

- Halo

- Mass Effect

- Final Fantasy

All games are works of art, in a way. There are those that obviously put more effort into certain departments than others though.

In terms of visual artistry for example, I'd say that Okami, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and Xenoblade Chronicles are examples of games that will stand the test of time based on their art direction alone. There are many other ways a game can be artistic of course though, for instance I'd consider games like Super Mario Galaxy and Monster Hunter to have some of the best showings of great simpler and more complex gameplay respectively, and I find both showing a player how easily they can get into fun gameplay and how they can have fun exploring deeper gameplay systems to be works of art in themselves as well. :wub:

tl;dr, games are works of art in so many ways, you're not wrong in thinking any game touched you in any sort of way if you think of it as artistic. :)

• Brohoof 2

Hmm... Technicall, I'd consider games in general to be works of art, in the same way I would consider music and film in general to be art. Basically, I think of all creative work as art on a basic level.

In the sense of being something truly beautiful, inspiring, and emotionally captivating... Ocarina of Time, Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasy X, Bioshock, Gone Home, and Dear Esther, to name a few.

It's not just about stories and experiences, though, though those are certainly where I focus. Some games I've found to be magnificent in how well put together they are, in how well they play. Dungeons of Dredmor is very satisfying in the attention and forethought it demands from you. You have to have a plan for your character, for your playthrough, and for individual encounters (especially those Monster Zoos).

More than Everygame else : Hellnight.

Hellnight is in so many ways Art, its the only game i know which is that special.It tells the Story of a complete other World, has a fantastic Creature design, so many different Characters and a lot of creative Worlds to explore, like the Tokyo Mesh, an alien City, a dream world and even the Internet!It was mythical, mysterious and a very special journey to a another world.

Its a Horrorgame made by Atlus and Konami and was only released in Japan and europe for the playstation 1.

Its still my favorite game of all time and just pure art.

It had a spiritual sucessor called Dispiria, but it was only released for the dreamcast in japan.  :(

Another Good Example is of course the Myst Series.Just look at the graphics that the old ps 1 games had.The games just look so wonderful and are so beautiful designed.But sadly i never finished one of them,since the puzzles are so hard  :please:

Then of course Final Fantasy, because of all the different storys and worlds.

And Haunting Ground was very well made too.Very Dark and sexy.

Metal Arms was also a very well made Robot Adventure Game, with a excellent Story and wonderful worlds.

And Ghost Vibration, maybe the gameplay isnt that good, but the game itself has so many different storys to tell, it was one of the most interesting horror games ever for me  :muffins:

Edited by Dune_Gosbil

• 4 months later...

Just out of the games I've played or am playing currently:

• Child of Light

• Trine 1 and 2

• Legend of Zelda

• Croc 1 and 2

• RCT 1 and 2

• Homeworld 1

• Bejeweled 3

• realMyst: Masterpiece Edition

• Skyrim

BioShock Infinite, Chrono Trigger, System Shock 2, Morrowind, and Gothic II all immediately come to mind.

BioShock Infinite has one of the most unique and compelling stories and atmospheres in any game ever, and all the extremely subtle hints to the plot twist that you look back and see are just amazing. Such a thorough and amazing story that I'm more than willing to forgive the at times dull gameplay because that isn't what this game was about. The game was art, and it's a masterpiece no less. It's my favorite game of all time, and the era-appropriate covers of songs from now until then is something I love because it's just one of the many little clues of the true nature of the story that you might miss the first time through. It's just crazy and I love this game for being so artistic and inspired.

Chrono Trigger because of the geniune emotion it makes you feel and compelling story and innovative gameplay, plus one of the most bitchin' soundtracks in any game ever.

System Shock 2 for all the reasons BioShock is considered one - if you put the first BioShock as a thing on here, you really should take note that System Shock 2 is basically the original BioSShock, because BioShock is really pretty much the exact same thing but reskinned and with toned down difficulty, gameplay elements, and atmosphere. The last one in particular is saying something because BioShock had great atmosphere :lol:

Morrowind for giving that feeling of grand adventure and maintaining an amazing and unique atmosphere all while keeping the open ended exploration a thing. It's really the best game in TES, and you should really check it out if you like that series. Another great soundtrack, by the way :lol:

Gothic II for feeling so real. While many would consider its graphics dated by today's standards, it really was the original Skyrim in terms of having NPCs with distinct personalities and daily lives and schedules. This game is older than Morrowind, mind you, and Morrowind had very sterile cities and NPCs. Gothic II gave the NPCs personalities, routines, schedules, and lives, and the world around you just feels so alive. Unlike Skyrim, it had a lot of soul without having to be modded constantly and it wasn't dumbed down in the slightest. Even the most experienced RPG enthusiast would have trouble with this one. Very unforgiving and difficult RPG with a very alive world, and that's quite the accomplishment for 2002. Underrated gem, for sure, and I dare say I like it more than any games in TES.

• Brohoof 1

The Cat Lady, one of the few, if any, games to handle depression and loss well while still holding respect towards it.

Also:

• Alan Wake (one of the best story-driven games out there even if the graphics look kind of wonky at times)
  • Alice Madness Returns (when it goes for disturbing, it really goes for it but it has some nice level design and really well done showing of mental illnesses)
  • Bayonetta 2 (some of the scenery is downright gorgeous)
  • Bioshock Infinite (everything about the game)
  • Five Nights At Freddy's Series (I don't really mean the games themselves, but the story behind it, the game does a well way of hiding it and makes you use your brain to figure it out. A more complicated story than a lot of triple A games honestly)
  • StarFox Adventures (nice level design, an interesting story, and nice gameplay)
Edited by Wheatley

Chrono trigger (of course)

Super mario sunshine

Super smash bros melee 

legend of zelda twilight princess

Starfox 64

All of these games are works of art.

Hmm... Extra Credit recommended "This War of Mine" one time and by the looks of it, it's a works of art.

Now for my personal opinion. I think most of Atlus and Platinum are works of art. Atlus convey messages about morality perfectly, while Platinum games are over the top awesome.

Ace Attorney and Prof Layton games are works of art for me. Throwing aside the jokes in it and you will see a great story.

Well this could take a while....

Spiral Knights

The art style for this game is wonderful, easily one of the most compelling things about this Free-To-Play game and one of the reasons I love it so much. When you combine this art style with the music from the game, then you begin to see why it is a true masterpiece. A SEGA game at heart, Three Rings did a marvellous job at making the music almost like a throwback to older SEGA titles and even consoles from the 20th century, combining an orchestra with classic 8-bit synth to create memorable tracks that fit the art of the game perfectly.

Some of my personal favourite tracks -

And a little look at the player model design for the game -

random_spiral_knights_promotion_image_by

spiral_knights_w1.jpg

7563804316_f61b49a9a4_b.jpg

Fashion is a from of art, 58% of tf2 is hats and clothes, hats and clothes = fashion, tf2 = 58% art. But wait, there's more, dance is art, tf2 is 25% conga and 5% square dance. That's not it, cooking is an art, tf2 is 7% food based taunts, such as drinking coffee, eating a bucket of chicken, and more, tf2 is 95% art. Tf2 is 4.5% making videos, in the form of replays and sfm video, photography and movie making are forms of art. tf2 is also 0.5% gameplay, making tf2 99.5% art and 0.5% fun, fun is a form of art if you're pinkie pie, pinkie pie is in top 3 best mane 6, making her opinion fact. TF2 is 100% art. All hail gaben, lord of sales.

Well, there are many games I could name that might fit that bill, and these are the one that I believe would best fit that.

Note: I can only name the games that I have played. As such...

​Shadow of the Colossus: Low on story, high on myth, vague on details. The only enemies are the 14 colossi that are, in there own ways, puzzles that must be solves. Between each boss encounter you are given a rich and colorful, yes silent, mysterious, and lonely which in which your player character must traverse. It is SUCH a beautiful game; and I'm not just talking about the scenery.

The Last of Us: While it's not a game in my personal top 12+1, it's a game I recognize as a sheer masterpiece. It takes a concept that has essentially been done to death, and makes it meaningful and dangerous. We're given two of the most well developed characters in gaming with a story that pulls on our emotional heartstrings in a way that doesn't make it feel only like a tear-jerker. Really, when it comes to art, this one is up there.

Journey: Some may disagree, but while it is very short, it is also very immense in what it has. Our silent protagonist has a simple goal: reach the summit of the peak in the far distance. To get there we have to traverse a desert, ancient ruin, and frosty peaks. Along with the single-player journey, the way you interact with others online is something I never experienced before. They feel like real traveling companions who can help you. It's just...wonderful.

As said before these games may or may not be in my top-12, but the way they are crafted and the way they say what the have to say speaks volumes that transcends my personal preferences.

Majora's Mask. That game is so deep with its subtext, and, I've recently played it for the first time a month ago. Decided that this... game... would help me cope with the upcoming death of my mom. (She's terminally ill.) I think Majora's Mask is a very beautiful thing, and is most definitely a work of art.

I'd also like to consider Bioshock a work of art. It's also thought-provoking. I'd say the first one and Infinite, although, I have not played the latter. Bioshock 2 is just forgettable in my book. I don't even remember anything about it, other than some family drama or... something...

The games that i've played which i'm about to list that  i consider artistic, masterpieces and memorable experiences are:

• Final Fantasy
  • Jak and Daxter
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Child of Light
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Tearaway
  • Journey
  • Pokemon
  • ICO
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Spyro the Dragon