Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where Does Your First and Last Name Originate From?

Snow Frostflame

My first name (Wade) is English (even though I am not English at all). It means "Able to go." My last name (Firaben) is German, but I have no idea what it means. I can't find a single thing on it otherwise.

• Brohoof 1

I could only get information on my first name.  My last name is only a variant on one that is very similar to what I have.  The original's meaning is apparently "grey."  My first name is of Hebrew origin meaning, "beloved."  You should be able to guess from this what my first name is.   ^_^

Edited by Aura
  • Brohoof 1

My first name, Erik, is the Scandinavian spelling of Eric. "Erik" means "eternal ruler".

My last name, is probably of German origin, although half of my family was Amish for the longest time. The spelling of that was a little different, but my ancestors added a "u" in the name when they left the community many, many years ago.

• Brohoof 1

Surname is English for Bear Power, apparently :confused:

1. The name Barrett is an English baby name. In English the meaning of the name Barrett is: Bear power. Introduced to Britain during the Norman Conquest. Subsequently became common as a surname.

I was always under the impression it was Irish, but even then it's just a fraction of my bloodline, so doesn't matter much to me. I have heavy Native American features, such as silky black hair and quick to tan, and my great grandma and great grandpa's parents both immigrated over here from Bavaria after WWI, and I know little of my biological paternal grandfather , which is my namesake, other than he came down from New York, married my grandmother, and then got shipped to 'Nam before my dad was born. So I still view myself as having Native American/German ancestry, given that's what I know most. Probably the two most common heritages in North Texas, but still. English names are for the northerners :V

I tend to ramble about this. I find my heritage fascinating :please:

My first name is this though, whatever it means:

1. Riley is a given name for males and females, which first appeared as Raghallach, which was originated on a man who died in the Battle of Clontarf. Its source gives its meaning as "valiant". Though originally a given name, it is more popular and well known as a surname.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 1

You should search about your great grandparents and what they did in ww1. You never know what regiment your great grandparent was in. He may have won many medals. It's so fascinating what you find out from your families military past.

• Brohoof 1

My first name is English with the meaning of "God's Peace", and my last name is German.

You should search about your great grandparents and what they did in ww1. You never know what regiment your great grandparent was in. He may have won many medals. It's so fascinating what you find out from your families military past.

I find this interesting as well. I know my great grandfather was in the US navy during World War 2.

• Brohoof 1

My first name means; 

You have a clever, quick mind, with the ability to accomplish a great deal in a short period of time, although it is not easy for you to systematize your efforts. This name could allow expression along musical and artistic lines and gives you the desire to entertain and to meet and mix with people of refinement and culture. It also brings out your love of home and family, and in close association you are able to show understanding and affection. Others are attracted by your generosity and your consideration of their interests. First name is from Sweden

And also this apparently; 

Also, should you over-indulge in sweet, rich foods you could experience skin or liver problems.

My surname is British and has no meaning whatsoever.

Edited by Tempest Shift
  • Brohoof 1

All together, I am half Lao- half American.

My name is Trevor Sisomxuine.

I'm not quite sure where trevor directly comes from, however my last name, Sisomxuine, originates from Lao, a country near China.

I may look like im foreign to America, but im not. I speak fluent English, and born in PA, raised in KY.

I still love my last name though SISOMXUINE (See-Some-Shin)

• Brohoof 1

First Name: Eric

"Behind the Name: Meaning, Origin and History of the Name Eric. From the Old Norse name Eiríkr, derived from the elements ei "ever, always" and ríkr "ruler"."

Last Name: Fairchild

"Fairchild is a common surname derived from the Old English words for fair or beautiful and the word child"

Also linked to English nobility. I might be an heir of something! Haha. One can only dream.

• Brohoof 1

My first name originated from Greece and it means "lover of horses" my last name originates from Ireland/Scotland and it translates into "Charioteer Warrior". 

Edited by NightOwl
  • Brohoof 1

My full name, if you take translations and meanings into account, literally means "Crown of the Woods" which is pretty apt considering my OC Mal is pony who lives in the Everfree Forest XD

• Brohoof 1

My first name's origin is biblical, i guess? I'm fairly certain there are millions of others named after Archangel Michael.

My last name is of Slavic origins. It roughly means something like '-of the belts' in english. Maybe one of my ancestors was a belt-maker.

• Brohoof 1

My first name:

Among Christians, this name was originally more common in Eastern Europe. It was borne in the 12th century by Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, a daughter of King Andrew II who used her wealth to help the poor. In medieval England it was occasionally used in honour of the saint, though the form Isabel (from Occitan and Spanish) was more common. It has been very popular in England since the reign of Queen Elizabeth I in the 16th century. Famous modern bearers include the British queen Elizabeth II (1926-) and actress Elizabeth Taylor (1932-2011).

My last name:

Recorded as O'Conner, O'Connor, Conner, Conor and Connor, this is considered to be historically the most important of all Irish surnames. It represents the last of the true Irish monarchy. The clan is descended from Conchobhar, king of Connacht, who died in battle in 971 a.d. The last two High Kings of Ireland being of this line. They were Turlough O'Connor (1088 - 1156), and Roderick O'Connor (1116 - 1198). The name is a developed form of the Gaelic O'Conchobhair, the prefix O', meaning male descendant of, plus the personal name "Conchobhar", composed of the elements "cu", meaning the hound, and "cobhar", a desire. There are six distinct septs of the clan, the most numerous being from County Kerry, where thirty thousand members reside today. The other prominent septs are in Counties Clare and Offaly. Among the famous namebearers was Arthur O'Connor (1765 - 1852), commander of the Irish Brigade, and a General of Division in Napoleons army. He was later a political publisher in France. Thomas O'Connor, a famine emigrant, sailed from Liverpool aboard the ship "St. Patrick", bound for New York on March 27th 1846. A coat of arms granted to the O'Connor clan has the blazon of a green shield, charged with a gold lion rampant, double queued and crowned. The Motto is "Nec timeo, nec sperno", and translates as, "I neither fear nor desire". Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

• Brohoof 1

My first name is Greek, means "helper of man" or some ish.

My last name is Italian. I love my last name, hate my first name. Everyone says my last name wrong :nom:

Edited by Cupcakes14
  • Brohoof 1

My first name is of Latin (Roman) origin. My last name is of Scottish/Irish origin from pre 10th century.

I didn't really know anything about my last name, so that's kind of neat.