• June
    • July
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December
  2. 2. What year did you join the herd?

I was first exposed to MLP November of 2011. I was playing team fortress 2 and the only server that wasn't full was one called League of Ponies. I thought the name was cute so I joined the game and started seeing a lot of pony sprays. After a few weeks I looked up some team fortress videos on youtube and strangely almost all of them lead to a pony related one. I started watching some clips and then I started listening to the music (I loved "Becoming Popular"). Then one night in December I had nothing else to do so I decided to watch the first episode.

I don't quite remember what month I joined the herd.  I think it must have been june or july maybe august  sometime?  It was wayyy after the "Canterlot Wedding" episode had aired.    I hadn't really been into anything  at that point I remember getting kicked out of this other posting board i was a part of.  I think it came about while i was looking on youtube I had been re connection with all the old shows i loved as a child.  and then i stumbled upon MLP:FiM.  I was amazed at the animation.  because I remember the animation of the older generations.  my mind went googley eyed for a minute thinking 'wait did this show get a rebooted without me knowing about it?"  that's when I found hurricane fluttershy.  and the rest is history.  glad to be part of one of the best communities out there.

ehm i think i become a brony in March :D... I was chilling with my bros...my friend told me about this new album "balloon party" i was like "balloon party? what the hell is that ? is it like the knife party?" so i decided to give it a try.....after listening a few songs i started liking the album,my favorite song was booring from assertive fluttershy.I wanted to learn more about the artist,so i searched on google assertive fluttershy,i found a cute little yellow pony (fluttershy)...after searching for fluttershy,I found the other ponies (dash applejack rarity twilight and pinkie)..and thats how I become a brony :D 

I don't really like the word "brony," but I'm just curious how this whole thing started, if the fandom is really this or if it's just a ruse.

Edited by ~Vallo~

My story is probably one of the boring ones since it was the standard one of watching one episode, then another, and another, and <...>.

The only difference mine has I guess is that it was a friend of mine who went "you're not one of those weirdass bronies are you" back then when I had no idea whatsoever what FiM was, that piqued my interest in the show a few months later when I was bored on a weekend and looking for something to watch on YouTube.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I was looking at some memes on Memebase as usual. As the days passed, more and more My little Pony-Memes popped up with everyone in the coments praising the show. It looked interesting, so on the first day of summer holiday I decided, that since I didn't have anything better to do, I might as well give it a try. So I sat down and watched an episode. In as little as three days I had watched the entirety of the first and second season. This, coupled with a variety of stories about the awesome stuff bronies did and/or are doing then led to me officially declaring myself a brony.

• Brohoof 1

My siblings became Bronies first. Then I heard the Winter Wrap up song and it stuck in my head, i couldn't get rid of it and started listening to it in secrete. Then I looked up Bronies and researched it and found that most said that once you watched it you got hooked.  At first I didn't watch it because I knew that if I did I would be hooked. but finally I watched it. I watched it in secrete first but then my sister caught me and then i went public.

• Brohoof 1

I joined the herd earlier this year in August. I first knew about mlp through the thefinebros' teens react series and I then went on to watch the first episode. I just couldn't get into it. My sister also told me about it a few times prior.

Then, a few months later, I rewatched the first episode and I understood it better than I did the first time round when I watched it. I don't even know why.

I didn't really consider myself into the herd until october, where I finally watched the season 2 finale, I then listened to a bit of Brony music, y'know, the most wellknown ones, like Party With Pinkie, Discord etc.

Then I found myself watching it every day. Whenever I had a bad day, I switched my computer on and just flicked to the first episode which came into my head. I then found myself watching hours upon hours, even when I wasn't on the computer I was sat on my phone watching episodes on the YouTube app, since I don't have Netflix or any iTunes credit. I also downloaded some more brony music on there and I usually listen to that in those long car journeys I always end up going on. I actually have four MLP related tabs open right at this moment :')

• Brohoof 1

Wat8.jpg?1315930535

Isn't there already a thread like this?

Meh I'll just wait 'till a mod shuts it down...anywho...

I became a brony when I stated watching random pony videos. I decided to watch the show and I really liked it. The VA's the animation the BG art and the story.

The show amazed me.

Also I noticed there was a fandom full of people like me that are very nice and accepting called bronies.

So I decided to join in on the pony fun. :)

Edited by Double D
  • Brohoof 1

A few months ago, I went over to a friend's house, they were watching ponies, they asked me if I wanted to watch ponies too. (i admit i hesitated quite a bit) I sat down anyway and about 15 minutes later, I became a brony and then,

post-10016-0-55416100-1356281566.jpeg

(Kinda boring I know, but still)

• Brohoof 2

img-1021415-1-Wat8.jpg

Isn't there already a thread like this?

Meh I'll just wait 'till a mod shuts it down...anywho...

I became a brony when I stated watching random pony videos. I decided to watch the show and I really liked it. The VA's the animation the BG art and the story.

The show amazed me.

Also I noticed there was a fandom full of people like me that are very nice and accepting called bronies.

So I decided to join in on the pony fun. :)

I didn't see another thread about this, so why would the mods shut it down? Maybe I missed it or something, I don't know. I'm sure there's a couple somewhere beyond the first page. Oh well, no harm done.

• Brohoof 1

I didn't see another thread about this, so why would the mods shut it down? Maybe I missed it or something, I don't know. I'm sure there's a couple somewhere beyond the first page. Oh well, no harm done.

Yeah I guess so. ^_^

It might not get shut down though probably. Maybe, I'm not a mod though so I can't decide anything. XD

So yeah, it has a possibility of getting locked.

• Brohoof 1

Twas, a quiet, warm, september day... actually i don't remember what the day was like but i do remember It was September 7th 2011. Just another ordinary day. School around the corner. Looking up some Youtube videos as usual. I was watching one of my favorite Youtube stars, The Yogscast. They had a video celebrating their 1000 video milestone. I started to watch it. They were talking 'bout Diablo III (Obviously since this is in 2011 the game didn't come out yet), and then one of 'em, Lewis, mentioned that it might have a secret level like they did in the last game (and it did) and that was the secret Pony level. After that he mention how there was a My Little Pony T.V. show that his girlfriend actually started to watch and actually made him watch too. ( hes not a brony sadly he just knows 'bout the show, but i think Hannah is though...)

Anyway, onf of the most interesting parts was that his gf made Pony OCs of their minecraft characters heheh. I can't remember rhow i reacted to that but i think when i fist saw 'em i thought they looked a bit weird. However that didn't get me to watch the show... the comments did. EEEeyup. And what better kind of comments then a flame war? Yep you heard (read) me a flame war. AT first i didn't realize they were fightin' cuz i didn't think people would fight over something so stupid. Anyway, when i read the comments i saw that so many people watched it. They all were saying it was good and that if you were to watch you would probably like it.

Now honestly, i don't know what compelled me to watch it. Idk if it was curriosity, or optimism, or maybe just pure boredom. But i did. And I'll tell ya right now: One of the best decisions i have made to date. I watch the first episode first ofcourse, i imediatly thought it wouldn't be good after seeing that opening, but then, Oh THEN! BOOM! The first animated scene with Twi really stood out to me. I never really seen animation like that. I was like: Woah... I think it might of been the colors... anyway i kept watchin' it. Then the next ep. and next. And well, you know the story. I instantly loved it. And still do.

Ok well, thats my story, hopefully it was interestin'. :lol:

Edited by AnonBrony
  • Brohoof 1

I watched the entire first season with my cousins kids before I actually knew what a brony was I was just watching it because it kept them quiet for half an hour and it was really really entertaining about half way through season 2 I hit the internet to see If there were more people out there like me that liked to watch mlp and sure enough there is and there is alot of them and thats it.

• Brohoof 1

I found mlp when one of the people who I'm friends with on facebook (funny thing is, it's the person who made me and boyfriend breakup, guess they did one awesome thing. but that's about all they've done that's good) posted the Rainbow Dash - You're Gonna Go Far, Kid video by TheSlutfox and then I looked up mlp and I got addicted to it. That's also how I found out about The Offspring!

• Brohoof 1

I'm a huge animation fan, if the story and animation is good then I watch it. Regarding MLP:FiM, it started with internet memes about a year ago. I was a hater at first, I hate to admit it but its true, I mean come on it was "My Little Pony" for God sake. I had seen the previous generations and I thought this generation wouldn't differ with the previous ones. I was horribly mistaken, I saw the first episode to see what the commotion was about and why the series had a huge male adult fan following. After seeing the first episode I was hooked. I swear I had watched the complete season 01 within a day. After that I became a full fledged brony and then I started to save pony related music, art and fan-fics to my laptop. Another thing, damn our community sure is talented, I'm sure everypony knew that, but I just wanted to point that out. 

• Brohoof 1

I didn't really fully join the herd until about a month ago. I've known OF bronies and MLP for about a year now (through memes, people in other online communities becoming bronies, etc), and I had plenty of chances to join the herd before (which I wholeheartedly regret not taking, given how amazing this fandom is), but I didn't finally sit down and watch any episodes until about a month ago. Hooked ever since.

And as the saying goes, the rest is history. :)

• Brohoof 1

I was doing my usual "Video hopping" on youtube when it brought me to the first episode. I thought "Well I'm bored enough, might as well" and I ended up enjoying it. I watched the first episode around when I first joined this site, which was back sometime in August.

Edited by Retro_Derpy
  • Brohoof 1

Well... I write scripts for a parody comic site... Then a new section came up... It was a my little pony section so I'm like... Wtf... Ponys are popular...

After watching vids... And stuff I keep seeing mlp stuff... Then I desided to see what was soooo good about mlp...

Watched the episodes... Boom, here I am today!

• Brohoof 1

It started in December, December of the year known as 2011. You see I was going on a cruise to the Bahamas so naturally I had a five or six hour car ride ahead of me. So what did I do, I brought along some GameImformer Magazines with me to look at. So I started looking though it quite bored when I saw this in issue 223 for November of 2011.

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony

So of course I was like hey look at this some dudes defending My Little Pony in a game magazine, that is so funny. I had not yet heard of a brony or much about My Little Pony. I didn't even know there were mulitple generations or anything of that sort at the time.

I come back from the cruise not thinking about ponies anymore and had another gameinformer waiting in the mail which I started to look though. The issue was 225 for January of 2012. And what did I find in it, this right here.

rarity_in_gameinformer_by_rvb476-d4idcd1

I was a little confused now, why were there so many ponies appearing in a game magazine. That was weird to me at the time. So what did I do, around January 2nd ,I do believe, I looked up the word brony on google to find so much My Little Pony stuff. That was when I went to Youtube to find the first episode. I watched it thought it was good feel asleep and didn't see anything pony for another few months. Then came May or it might have been April. I was bored when I started to relook though the magazines. I came upon the ponies again and started to rewatch the episodes I had seen. I knew right away  I was hooked finishing the first season in about a week thanks to school. I then figured I would look more into the bronies and that was when I became a brony.

(Sorry for the large pictures I had to put them to prove my point.)

• Brohoof 2

Well, long story short (and by that I mean cutting out a couple of months of my story), I read "My Little Dashie" and decided there had to be something to the show. So I watched it and loved it.

It was pretty good, but I believe it was pretty overhyped. I've never been a big reader of fan fiction, but some are pretty good if executed correctly. 

Edited by ~Vallo~
  • Brohoof 1

"My Little Dashie" is an awesome story. It drew a tear to my eye :( ,and I'm not even a big reader of fan fiction. Maybe I should start.  :) l

Well...okay, shameless self-promotion, but I'm actually writing an "FiMfic" as I call them. It's called "You Can't Shy Away From Fate" (Can you guess which pony is a main character?).

Other than that, I've seen some decent fics in my time being a brony (about a year officially, but I was kind of a brony prior to it.), so go ahead, and good luck with your search! Another good one was "In Another Land" by CloudFyre, it's a different genre called "HiE" (Human in Equestria). I know some people are skeptics about that, I was too, but it was an awesome story that I highly recommend.

• Brohoof 1

Everpony has their little story, but I'm curious. When did you find this show? How did you find it? Where did you find it? How has it affected you? I wouldn't be here if I didn't accidentally click a thumbnail for an episode. I'm glad I did. 

Any interesting stories?

Your topic, 'How did you become a brony?' has been merged  with 'How and when did you become a brony?' as the prior topic asks a question that can be answered in the later.