Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

web Mr. Enter's YouTube Channel recently got terminated :(

Alex Z

Youtubes flagging system is broken as :yay: . If you get enough flags on a video, then it really dosen't matter if his vids crosses the guidelines or not. I also hope that gets it fixed, because i like to listen to him

• Brohoof 4

Viacom is really bad at that.  YouTubes system gives too much power to people who will exploit it.  My guess it's all the stuff he said about Spongebob.  Using footage from it to illustrate his point.  Fair use, freedom of speech, better put a stop to that.  As someone who was a modestly popular Let's Player from about 2007 I'm gonna flat out say youtube has gone downhill.  It has some technical benefits now, their policies regarding copyright have gotten really bad.  This guilty until proven innocent approach to policing the community that made it what it was has made every video I upload nerve-wrecking.  Things can go south, very fast.  Is that how you create a healthy community, a climate of fear where people can exploit claims to silence anyone they want?  Since amazon bought twitch I am hoping twitch can have straight video hosting alongside streams because amazon really respects entertainers and is our best hope for a better host than youtube.

• Brohoof 2

I'm going to be blunt here - Mr. Enter should've learnt his lesson. I can't help but roll my eyes when he says he'll take on any copyright infringement, because the most realistic outcome is they'll terminate his account. On the flip side, I do think that the copyright infringement politics need a little polishing. Tonnes of people still use copyrighted content as it helps them explain things. It expresses freedom of speech, really. Granted it's also pointless to use said content, but I digress.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Brohoof 1

I'm seriously hoping he gets his channel back. I've been a fan since last February, and I have a brother that's also a fan. I will be pissed at both YouTube and Viacom if his channel gets taken down. I was thinking about calling YouTube and Viacom at one point, but I probably won't.

• Brohoof 1

I am so sick with YouTube and its draconian copyright rules, I know Mr. Enter had a run in with copyright before, but this is the absolute worst, it's getting so bad that anything can be axed on a lie. I wish we could return to a time, when YouTube was not centralised, it was neutral and fair, but the deeper Google got into YouTube, the more stringent enforcement we got, not to mention ads, that take up too much time, or interrupt the video, so my frustration with YouTube is mounting, first Jan Animations was given cease and desist, Dr. Wolf was nearly terminated, and now this, I hope Mr. Enter wins his channel back, I admire his work and he has such a good voice, I wish him good luck and I hope to see his videos again. 

• Brohoof 3

This is ridiculous, in theory there is supposed to be fair use but with how complicated fair use law is and how selectively enforced it is we only have real fair use for major corporations who have enough money to hire lawyers to help stave off copyright infringement lawsuits. In the shorter term though Youtube really needs to fix its flagging system, it seems like anything that gets flagged whether it is infringement or not seems to get pulled no questions asked.

• Brohoof 2

Youtube's auto-copyright system is utter nonsense.. It takes down more then its share of videos that should be under fair use for even just one match of copyrighted content, and yet turns a blind eye countless times to ones that are clearly breaking its TOS. And if your one of the major money making channels then you essentially have diplomatic immunity, post and act however the hell you want. >_>

I'm still hoping that one day a video sharing site with a good copyright system, good video playback, and is convenient for content creators will someday come to exist and will hopefully be able to challenge youtube. 

Edited by chirox the pony

Can someone give me a bit more detailed info about this situation? Objective one without lines like "evil copyright owners" etc. What exactly was the reason of taking down his channel? Did he have copyright issues before? Was there REALLY copyrighted material present on videos that caused termination of his account? And if there was - how much of it and if it was credited properly? 

I want to hear the story without emotions caused by what happened. 

@, On his YT page is the following:

TheMysteriousMrEnter has been terminated because we received multiple third-party claims of copyright infringement regarding material the user posted.

Over on his DeviantArt account, YT's copyright system tracked down his reviews related to Viacom-related products (notably Spongebob). He got one strike two days ago, and then a clean sweep later, his whole account got wiped out.

Yes, he's had issues with reviews being taken down before for copyright infringement. A few months ago, Fox took down his Family Guy atrocity reviews, but he appealed the process. Two weeks later, his videos were reinstated because Fox never responded to the appeals.

Viacom's situation, however, may be a completely different story for one reason alone: the YouTube vs. Viacom lawsuit. After seven years, both companies settled what was a billion-dollar lawsuit last year. Fox and YouTube may not see eye to eye, but unlike Viacom, Fox and YouTube were never in the middle of a bitter lawsuit, and there's a chance YouTube can be more conservative here.

One thing Mr. Enter and his fans need to remember is how fair use isn't the end-all defense. Criticism and parody fall under it, but to an extent. If you were vicious to various writers (and his Pet Sitter Pat, Putting Your Hoof Down, Ten Worst FIM Episodes, and Top 11 worst episodes from 2013 reviews devolved from just reviewing the work to personally attacking staff; just taking it back and apologizing several months later won't work), that's not going to work. And fair use is a huge grey area that varies from country to country.

There are two links about it here and here.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

Then I guess I'll be the bitter one. 

I won't lie - most things about copyrights from Your links I already knew - if he used copyright material he can't blame its owners for taking his videos down. Just imagine if someone took Your property for no reason. Or for example reuploaded Your video without giving credits and proper information about You. Or used parts of it and for example - bashed You (because many so-called "reviewers" on YouTube bash products they review instead of giving constructive criticism). I've noticed in Qiviut's post that he - in fact did some bashing in his videos in past. Would You be happy about it if it was You, who got bashing? I would not. I'd report violation over such thing myself.

If Mr.Enter had copyright issues before he should've known better about what might happen instead of playing a victim after what he brought on himself (especially if it seems Viacom is VERY picky about copyrights so there was little to no chance that they'd not react on him using their materials). Sure, they overreacted hard and YouTube's copyright policy is flawed as well, but he still should've predicted the outcome of this. I know some record companies that like to hunt down musicians who upload covers on YT and avoid posting covers of songs that are under their wings at all cost. Last thing I want is termination of my account. 

But I'd like to bash YouTube too a little bit. In some cases copyrights are understandable, but recently YouTube crosses the line and becomes ridiculous as they are simply overprotective of those. First cases that come to my mind are issues with "let's players" whose videos were once removed pretty ofte due to buggy copyright protection. Many corporations who owned rights to those videos claimed that they were not behind this and in the end faulty copyright system was guilty of what happened. There were attempts of frauds when some minor companies SUCCESSFULLY flagged videos and got money from them. There were cases when videos got flagged, because (literal example) there was MTV in the background for two seconds. I think it's time for YouTube to start fixing that mess, because in its current situation only thing that is needed for diseaster (at least for them it'd be diseaster) to happen is another website offering same services with less copyright mess. And less "innovations" that turn the website into total mess. 

Overall - both sides are at fault to some degree. Mr. Enter as someone who already got into troubles in past should've known better what results of his actions could be. I saw him stating he will take on any copyright infrigement and by stating that he is not making his situation any better. In fact I am more against him, because it basically means that even if he shamelessly violates copyrights he still will act like he is the good guy. I am not going to approve of that .

And YouTube? They have most faulty copyright protection I've ever seen. In no other website I saw that amount of videos taken down for no reason etc. I'll just leave it at that. 

Sorry if I was wrong at something as I still may lack some informations. To be sure I want to ask something else - what were videos with Viacom's materials like? Was it constructive criticism or simple bashing? 

• Brohoof 1

It might be about search ranking. In 2012, Sega of Japan took down videos related to Shinning Force 3, a Sega Saturn game from 1997. A fair share of the videos were just webcam vlogs talking about the game(there wasn't even gameplay), so an upcoming game could get search ranking. In February, the new Spongebob movie comes out. They might be doing this so their videos about the movie get the highest search ranking.

It might be about search ranking. In 2012, Sega of Japan took down videos related to Shinning Force 3, a Sega Saturn game from 1997. A fair share of the videos were just webcam vlogs talking about the game(there wasn't even gameplay), so an upcoming game could get search ranking. In February, the new Spongebob movie comes out. They might be doing this so their videos about the movie get the highest search ranking.

You are actually on the right track I think. This is my opinion on the matter.

Hello friends, new to this thread but I have done my research and I find it really sad that Mr.enter was brought down. I search through his daylimotion channel and saw that many of his video is about, criticism or reviewing animated shows. According to Youtube´s own website about what is fair use, he´s totally on the right side. This is a citate from Youtube own website

"Criticism is one of the core areas of fair use." (Link for the particular section, press the left video to se it): https://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/fair-use.html#yt-copyright-myths)

So how can youtube go against them self? Well, you see the are not, actually. But there system is. The Content ID is the system that Youtube use to protect copyrighted material.

Here is how it works (https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797370?p=cid_what_is&rd=1)

But the fact remain as sad as this software is, that the persons that works on Youtube has no contact with this system. By that I mean that the only one thats sees the video breaking the copyright claim is a computer system, with no moral what so ever. 

Therefore it´s up to the copyrights holder to be the moral judge here. Then Youtube do as they ask them to, either it´s taking down videos or blocking audio etc. I´m 99% sure that the only time a Youtube personal comes in contact with videos breaking the copyright claim, is when you take act against there system and say that your work goes under fair use. Then Youtube personal take a closer look at the video and if they finds out that it is fair use, they may take the video back up.

Sorry for making such a long post but I felt the need to show you guys what a terrible system this is. The thing is that often are people scared, don´t have the time to go through this to claim your video as fair use. That lefts much of the power to the copyright holder often big companies as in this case "viacom". To them you are very small, VERY small. If they don´t think it´s fair use (even if the Youtube personal agrees with you that it is) the probably going to sue you for breaking the DMCA law, with other words the copyright law. And with them sitting on a lot of money to buy the best people, you have no chance to compete with them. 

At last, I just wanted to say that this system has proven to not work TO MANY TIMES! I would love to do something about it but it would be me against the great Youtube, so you can sure figure out how that would go.

It's like YouTube wants to lose more and more users to Dailymotion.

I'm waiting for the day to come when all users boycott YouTube and move to Dailymotion.

Mr. Enter is currently posting videos apologizing for every review where he said irrational things about the writers, such as bringing up Twitter feeds, since that's one of the reasons people suspected why Viacom went after him.

Yeah, I checked to see if he had any new videos and his channel wouldn't load  :blink:

I watch his videos every time a new kne comes out (I haven't missed kne yet!).

I really hope he comes back. As aggressive as he is and how unfriendly he sounds he's probably my favorite animation reviewer. His reviews are some of the best I've ever seen. To me his animated atrocities are the successor to MoBrosStudios' Spongebob episode countdowns.

We should probably do a charity single to bring him back to Youtube. We should round up all the MLP analysts, such as Digibrony and Tommy Oliver, take singing lessons, purchase a recording studio, and sing a cheesy ballad with every other brony alternating lines.