Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would feel about Rarity if/when she breaks Spike's heart?

hironakamura

I'd feel pretty bad for both parties involved. I've been on both sides of the fence before, and all around it's just a painful, awkward mess.

It really sucks to like someone who doesn't return those feelings, and it really sucks to have a friend who wants something more intimate than friendship. I hope she'd let him down soon, though. The longer this is dragged out, the harder it'll be for both of them.

... It doesn't negate the fact that Rarity was still portrayed as manipulative towards other characters in the series. I hope they change that about her, though.

Being manipulative (although it has negative connotations) is not a purely negative thing. In Rarity's case, it helped her against the Diamond Dogs. So I disagree that that aspect of her personality should be changed. Besides, Ticket Master has already proven that ALL of the Mane 6 can be manipulative when they wish to be.

Anyway, me charging to Rarity's defense:

Posted Image

CHECK!

If he does confess, and she turns him down, it won't change the fact that she is best pony. Personally, I think the pairing is cute, but ultimately doomed. Rarity and Spike are of two entirely different species. My guess is that at some point, Rarity will find a stallion she likes (probably one down-to-earth and practical, entirely unlike her idealized image) and Spike will give up on her in a "I want my beloved to be happy" kind of situation.

Edited by CandidKid

I'd feel pretty bad for both parties involved. I've been on both sides of the fence before, and all around it's just a painful, awkward mess.

It really sucks to like someone who doesn't return those feelings, and it really sucks to have a friend who wants something more intimate than friendship. I hope she'd let him down soon, though. The longer this is dragged out, the harder it'll be for both of them.

If she ignores him, she's being cold...

If she rejects him, she's being hurtful...

If she adores him, she's condescending...

If she accepts him, she's stringing him along...

The only thing clear about their relationship is they're friends and they like each other but the writers really should clear up Spike and Rarity's feelings on screen.

He's twelve (mentally). I don't know anyone who didn't have a crush when they were little. I also don't know anyone who didn't get over it. Or maybe I just live under a rock.

But yeah, my opinion of Rarity afterwards would be that she grew in maturity for stopping herself from manipulating him.

• 2 months later...

Me: Spike, why do you like Rarity?

Spike: She's pretty :wub:

Yeah, after some rewatching of the episodes, I've deducted that Spike mainly likes Rarity for her looks (and mane, as perhaps a bit of a fetish). While Rarity's personality seems to resonate through his mind as well, I could envision Spike getting over Rarity provided Studio B makes an episode with their "romance" at hand in said episode. It wouldn't be too bad on Spike's part, but rejection is nonetheless a suck-ass experience.

He will get over it, though. There's no doubt about that - unless it turns into a bit of a brawl between the two, in which the Mane 6's friendship with each other could be in a bit of a funk as a consequence.

(edited)

By Hoof And Claw

I'm in the "Spike will grow out of it" camp. The idea of Spike and Rarity actually having some sort of genuine romantic relationship just doesn't fit the situation at all.

Spike's crush was a "love at first sight" event in the very first episode of the series, and has defined his relationship with her ever since. He sees Rarity as a love interest and the girl of his dreams, but has clearly been in denial about how things really are and where they could realistically go (until recently, at least).

For Spike, true romance with Rarity is an unattainable fantasy, but a pleasant fantasy nonetheless. Spike may be a baby dragon and a bit naive at times, but he's by no means stupid. He probably knows deep down inside that his fantasy can never become reality, but takes comfort in it anyway. He wants to love Rarity, and that's enough for him.

For Rarity's part, Spike may be cute, but he's a baby dragon. To a mature, self-sufficient, ambitious social climber like Rarity, the idea of an actual romantic relationship with Spike is so farfetched that for quite a long time, she didn't seem to have the slightest clue about how he felt. It simply wasn't on her radar.

Over the course of the first two seasons, she has gone from oblivious to indulgent to impatient to accepting and ultimately affectionate. Yes, she does take advantage of Spike now and then, but Spike clearly wants her to do so, going to great lengths to insinuate himself into Rarity's affairs even when she would rather be left alone.

As we saw with the CMC in "Stare Master" and Sweetie Belle in "Sisterhooves Social", and heck, her friends in "Suited for Success", Rarity is incredibly talented, highly dedicated to her profession as a designer and seamstress, and meets nothing but disaster when others meddle with her work. For her to even allow Spike to help her at all is more of a privilege than either of them may realize, because when it comes to dressmaking, Rarity requires privacy more than anything else to succeed.

Rarity can most definitely be manipulative and has no qualms about using her feminine charm to get what she wants. The fact that it's so easy for her and bolsters her ego when it works can only make it all that more tempting to do so. And in considering this aspect of her personality, it occurs to me that...

Rarity represents the spirit of Generosity, but she can be greedy.

Applejack represents the spirit of Honesty, but she can be deceitful.

Fluttershy represents the spirit of Kindness, but she can be cruel in a flash.

Pinkie Pie represents the spirit of Laughter, but she has Pinkamena.

Rainbow Dash represents the spirit of Loyalty, but she can put herself first.

Twilight Sparkle represents the spirit of Magic, but, um... I got nothing.

With, I guess, the exception of Twilight, each of the Mane Six has conflicts with their primary personality traits. They aren't perfect. Being their best requires effort on their part, and when they lose sight of that, trouble follows. It's an interesting mechanic at the heart of the show that is fundamental enough to overlook (as I so often do), and that also seems to bear on Rarity's behavior toward Spike.

Getting back a little closer to the topic, Spike and Rarity's relationship has given the show's writers an interesting thread to pass from episode to episode. What probably started off as a brief "Spike has crush on Rarity" note in the writer's bible has developed over time as different writers have incorporated it in different shows.

And, over time, both characters have developed along with it.

As they were falling to what could have been their deaths, Spike was compelled to confess his feelings to Rarity. She stopped him with tears in her eyes, because she clearly already knew, and she clearly cared deeply about his feelings. Despite all the indignity and horror "Big Spike" had just put her through, despite the fact that she was quite possibly about to die herself, she didn't want their relationship to change, because it was precious to her, symbolized by the flawless fire ruby he had so selflessly given her.

Once they were safe, and Spike left to sit on the bridge to think about what had happened, it was Rarity alone who came to him, called him her hero and gave him a kiss.

We can speculate about what the future may hold for Rarity and Spike, but of one thing I am sure...

Rarity would never deliberately do anything whatsoever to hurt Spike, they are very dear friends, and all things considered, that's not bad at all. :D

Edited by ponyvangelist
  • Brohoof 1

I wouldn't think less of her. Honesly, she really doesn't manipulate and abuse Spike as much as you people say she does. Besides, I'm sure that SPike would be really sad at first but he would eventually get over it.

I think an interesting way to handle this issue would be for Spike to meet somone his own age (preferably a dragon) and develop a relationship with her, which would cause him to outgrow his crush on Rarity. He and Rarity could remain friends after this.

I would be kinda disappointed. But, I think deep down even Spike knows that it could never be. If Rarity does tell him how she truly feels about him if she shoots him down, he probably will forget about her at some point and maybe fall in love with a girl dragon his own age. I see this as a Teacher/Student relationship.

Okay you're 14 years old and you have this really hot teacher, soon you begin to have a real crush on her. But, deep down you know it could never ever really work out.

• Brohoof 1

I feel like rarity might sorta like him back. In that episode where spike turned into a greedy adult dragon and they were falling it kinda seemed like rarity liked spike?

Well, IDK. Id be angry at rarity because I love spike though XD

If rarity doesent like, Spike she should just fucking tell him. Anyone with half a brain cell knows that spike a has acrush on rarity, so im sure rarity knows spike likes her. I think rarity is a manipulative whorebag. She knows that if she tell him that she dosent like him back, spike would stop being her slave, and giving her stuff, and she doesnt want that. Im sure that one day, when spike i to tiredand dosent care about rarity anymore, shell tell him, and then move on to her next victim. such is the way of woman.

I shall laugh maniacally from a distance. No way Rarity is going to be shipped with a baby dragon.

you know, love is blind. A bird can love a fish.

(edited)

If someone has an obsessive crush on you and you don't like them back,

that makes you a bad person.

What is logic?

~

love this post. Quite frankly I have always been dubious on the whole fire ruby issue. She talked about how exquisite it was. She never said, Spike can I have it? Spike could have taken the compliment and proceeded to eat it later. Then when she does have it GIVEN to her she wars it with pride. Frankly I think she likes him in return but thinks it won't work.

If rarity doesent like, Spike she should just fucking tell him. Anyone with half a brain cell knows that spike a has acrush on rarity, so im sure rarity knows spike likes her. I think rarity is a manipulative whorebag. She knows that if she tell him that she dosent like him back, spike would stop being her slave, and giving her stuff, and she doesnt want that. Im sure that one day, when spike i to tiredand dosent care about rarity anymore, shell tell him, and then move on to her next victim. such is the way of woman.

Nasty little post altogether, but could have really done without the last line (unless it was some joke and I am just missing the point.)

Edited by Cupcake Ice Cream
  • Brohoof 1

All depends on how spike takes it.If he's all broken down and emotionally ruined I wouldn't like her as much but if he got over it and moved on to better things * cough cough pinkieshy* I wouldn't mind i at lall

Heh, probably won't be an episode but it would be funny if Spike goes to Canterlot and sees a female baby dragon and develops a crush, then Rarity gets a tiny bit jealous only because she sees Spike as an adorable little assistant-like but a new girl has Spike's attention.

Rarity has never made spike do something, she just asks for something and normally spike is the first to do it. I don't think she is using him and when/if she breaks his heart I'm sure she would do it in a kind and ladylike manner.

I'm a die hard Rarity x Spike fan. I want them to end up together and have that pony-dragon daughter I've seen floating around the pony fan art section of this forum, but I'm painfully aware they won't end up together and that there can't be no further development of their relationship beyond the shown in secret of my excess.

I'm sure Rarity will never break his heart for their relationship won't ever go anywhere.

Spike has been become her "friend" or even worse "little brother" whom she'll never see as a potential lover.

If you saw the dragon quest episode you should know how their relationship ended.

Rarity really, really likes him. She even said she would break anyone who messed with Spike appart.

But that's all. She loves him but "not in that way."

Ok, here is my thoughts on the subject:

Some of you have discussed the age difference between Rarity and Spike. But I think that Spike and the other ponies act quite the same in situations. Spike is very mature for his age. I don't think that the age difference will have any affect on their relationship.

Rarity obviously knows about how Spike feels. As some already have said she show this when they fall together towards the ground. I have seen that there have been different thoughts about what Rarity meant when she interrupted Spike. But we know for sure that she knows that he loves her.

I think that Rarity doesn't know yet if she loves him or not. She hasn't done anything that I know of to show Spike that she doesn't love him. I think that if she hadn't loved him she would have shown it. I don't think that Rarity is that cruel that she would let Spike dream about them being together when there's no chance of it. I know that some of you think that Rarity uses other ponies to for her own good. Maybe she used Spike to get the heartshaped gem from him, and she knew that she would get it because he loved her. But I don't think so. Surely she can take advantage of ponies sometimes by her charm, but that's only to ponies that she don't know. I don't think that she ever would be so cruel to Spike.

I think that there will come an episode where Spike tells Rarity about his love for her, but I don't think that they will become a couple. I think that Rarity will tell Spike that she doesn't feel the same way for him, but that they still will be firends. But this will not completly close the opportunity of them being together.

And also the fact that she sometimes talk about falling in love with some stallion from Canterlot is just the fact that she want to live up to the expectations that others have of her. Or that she thinks that others have of her at least.

But I guess that we all will find out in the future...