Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If you had the power to reboot the whole show

Plonkett

Let's say that you were given the power to completely reboot the entire series to improve upon it. What are some changes that you would make?

The things I would do is make the season premieres and finales individual one hour episodes instead of two-parters, that way episodes 2 and 25 of each season would be ordinary episodes. I would also give many of the show's characters more development. I'd also visit more parts of Equestria than the show's already doing. We'd also see more non pony races, especially deer, and we'd get to learn more about existing ones such as zebras, minotaurs, and griffons. We'd also get to learn more about nations outside of Equestria.

What I would also do is have villains like Nightmare Moon and Sombra done more justice, and we'd get to learn more about Chrysalis and the changelings. Discord would most likely not be reformed, but if he were to be, it'd probably take a lot more to do it than just one episode. I'd also make more major stallion characters, besides just Big Mac and Shining Armor. Plus, Sunset Shimmer and the Sirens would appear in the show, so there wouldn't be any need for Equestria Girls.

I'd most likely not have Twilicorn come about, but if that were to happen it would most likely be in the finale of the entire series. Also, the Golden Oaks Library would still remain and not have some castle come up.

As for a movie, instead of relying on some random Hollywood writer, I'd write the movie myself just like how I've written the show, and it would be a 3 plus hour epic with higher quality animation, plus use of 3d effects.

I . . . wouldn't. This show's popularity is like the Earth's ability to support life. If the conditions weren't exactly right, it would not have worked. Everything that it has that appeals to people is in this show somewhere. My vision, or anyone on this thread's vision would compromise what is already pretty damn good.

This show would not be the little wonder that it is, if Lauren Faust was not at it's helm on the outset. Even now that she's not in charge, it's her vision and her world that the creators are expanding upon. Authorial intent may or may not matter, but authorial action sure as Hell does.

Example? This:

51NHDMZCJML._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Same characters, but the amount of difference in them as written from Stan's perspective is staggering. Another example? The Shining. Two movies of the same story and yet whichever one you think is better, they are definitely different movies.

I'm not saying anyone here isn't somehow uniquely qualified to bring us something good, but no matter what, it would not be the good that I fell in love with and changed my life in such a positive way. (Generator Rex was a good show, for instance, but it didn't inspire a drastic career change that was perhaps the wisest decision in my life.)

If I rebooted the show in this hypothetical, no restrictions, and total absence of taste universe that this scenario is taking place in; it would contain the following.

-Celestia explicitly referred to as the Godess-Empress and with a social status reflecting that, otherwise having nothing about Her established character changed so as to better show that an immortal deity ruling as a statesman is a good thing.

-A war has recently ended with the Griffon Kingdoms but tensions remain high between the two nations.

-More adventure episodes encountering both mythological monsters as well as steampunk machines of war. The action and fight scenes stepped up, but still family friendly.

-The Mane Six eventually grow in reputation until they are known across Equestria as household names and eventually legends.

-After Twilight gets her wings, the current show ends. The next show carries on a generation later with the CMC and some of the Mane Six's children. Technology is more advanced and the Mane Six themselves are regarded as legends.

-The design of the environments and characters being a bit more detailed. Canterlot would look like Minas Tirith just as much on the inside as it's outside was inspired by. Every building in Ponyville would be a tree or some other extension of the land. They would have guns in Appleloosa. They would be mounted cannons, but they would still look like extremely large six shooters.

-Equestria Girls would still be made, but with human characters of the Mane Six with no canon connection to Equestria.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 4

I . . . wouldn't. This show's popularity is like the Earth's ability to support life. If the conditions weren't exactly right, it would not have worked. Everything that it has that appeals to people is in this show somewhere. My vision, or anyone on this thread's vision would compromise what is already pretty damn good.

This show would not be the little wonder that it is, if Lauren Faust was not at it's helm on the outset. Even now that she's not in charge, it's her vision and her world that the creators are expanding upon. Authorial intent may or may not matter, but authorial action sure as Hell does.

Example? This:

img-3455335-1-51NHDMZCJML._SY344_BO1,204

Same characters, but the amount of difference in them as written from Stan's perspective is staggering. Another example? The Shining. Two movies of the same story and yet whichever one you think is better, they are definitely different movies.

I'm not saying anyone here isn't somehow uniquely qualified to bring us something good, but no matter what, it would not be the good that I fell in love with and changed my life in such a positive way. (Generator Rex was a good show, for instance, but it didn't inspire a drastic career change that was perhaps the wisest decision in my life.)

If I rebooted the show in this hypothetical, no restrictions, and total absence of taste universe that this scenario is taking place in; it would contain the following.

-Celestia explicitly referred to as the Godess-Empress and with a social status reflecting that, otherwise having nothing about Her established character changed so as to better show that an immortal deity ruling as a statesman is a good thing.

-A war has recently ended with the Griffon Kingdoms but tensions remain high between the two nations.

-More adventure episodes encountering both mythological monsters as well as steampunk machines of war. The action and fight scenes stepped up, but still family friendly.

-The Mane Six eventually grow in reputation until they are known across Equestria as household names and eventually legends.

-After Twilight gets her wings, the current show ends. The next show carries on a generation later with the CMC and some of the Mane Six's children. Technology is more advanced and the Mane Six themselves are regarded as legends.

-The design of the environments and characters being a bit more detailed. Canterlot would look like Minas Tirith just as much on the inside as it's outside was inspired by. Every building in Ponyville would be a tree or some other extension of the land. They would have guns in Appleloosa. They would be mounted cannons, but they would still look like extremely large six shooters.

-Equestria Girls would still be made, but with human characters of the Mane Six with no canon connection to Equestria.

Maybe I should've been more specific. I meant to say if you wanted to reboot the show just to improve things that you feel would make it even better, and not just completely reinvent it from the ground up. Sorry for being vague.

If it was up to me, I'd try to make it on par with (You guessed it!) ATLA or something. I'd likely end up botching it, since I'm probably not talented enough to pull it off.

The things I would do is make the season premieres and finales individual one hour episodes instead of two-parters, that way episodes 2 and 25 of each season would be ordinary episodes.

Ehh, wouldn't that kind of complicate things for the network?

Edit:

Maybe I should've been more specific. I meant to say if you wanted to reboot the show just to improve things that you feel would make it even better, and not just completely reinvent it from the ground up. Sorry for being vague.

Whoops, I kind of missed this post. Sorry.

Wait a minute, where's the fun in not having my own lore? It wouldn't be much of a reboot if almost everything was the same.

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 1

I see.

I still wouldn't. My "reboot" would be to hire Lauren Faust again, chain her to the desk, and say "those ponies you created as a child? Tell me about their children."

I think us bronies, or at least a disturbingly large amount of us, have been fostering some sentiment of ungratefulness. There's always room for improvement, but how often do we take the time to really stop and think about what a miracle it is that we are even here? That this even worked in the first place?

Just as one who's in college right now with a major in Creative Writing, the phrase "it's harder than it looks," is apt. Writing is an art and a discipline, you can't just throw ideas at something and expect to make a decent story, let alone a good one.

My suggestion is just to trust the writers, the people who're trained and payed professionals in the craft.

Inner thoughts: Oh DHX staff, I bow before your excellence, I'd kiss the toes of your boots but my lips be not worthy for even that!

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 3

Hmm... I guess I'd scrap everything after season 2 (cliché I know) and actually use what happened in those episodes as base material for the later episodes. If you actually go back ad look, you would not BELIEVE how many things were brought up early on that they just never went back to, even with the most obvious resons to do so. Remember when Twilight's magic went absolutely insane as a filly? Remember when Spike left for Canterlot on royal business? Remember when Applejack wanted to live life in the big city? When Dash spent a day helping Apple Bloom with her cutie mark? Rarity wanting the elements case? Pinkie enjoying hot sauce on cupcakes? Fluttershy's freaky knowledge of sewing?

They were so focused on moving forward that continuity is a very rare blessing. And that makes sense if you're trying to overhaul an established slice of life into a fantasy adventure series, but when you're staying slice of life good continuity is a must, so that's what I'd do.

The animation would be claymation and all characters would be voiced by Bobcat Goldthwait. Also you'd win stuff by submitting photographs of jelly labels to the website.

Edited by Jammo
  • Brohoof 1

I think us bronies, or at least a disturbingly large amount of us, have been fostering some sentiment of ungratefulness. There's always room for improvement, but how often do we take the time to really stop and think about what a miracle it is that we are even here? That this even worked in the first place?

That's actually the exact reason for it, if you ask me. We have this miracle that needs to be tended and cared for, and instead these idiots on the staff are abusing it for a quick gag and a quick buck.

Just as one who's in college right now with a major in Creative Writing, the phrase "it's harder than it looks," is apt. Writing is an art and a discipline, you can't just throw ideas at something and expect to make a decent story, let alone a good one.

I can write better than these guys, easily, and I'm not getting paid.

And no, I wouldn't ever say that about the first seasons episodes.

That's actually the exact reason for it, if you ask me. We have this miracle that needs to be tended and cared for, and instead these idiots on the staff are abusing it for a quick gag and a quick buck.

Ah, the face of the exact element I was addressing with my post. Don't call those people idiots. Just don't. Name calling gets people nowhere. What is happening is not abuse, mishandling at worst, but purposeful sabotage is the last thing on the staff's minds. It's a statistical improbability that every single one of the writers sits down at their meetings, twirls their mustaches, and says:

"How can we ruin this show today?" 

I can write better than these guys, easily, and I'm not getting paid. And no, I wouldn't ever say that about the first seasons episodes.

Who cares about getting paid? My emphasis was on the fact that they've been taught how to write. You claim you're better? Where have you studied? Can you write a screenplay properly? How does your dialogue look?

There's a difference between writing synposes of what happens, essentially extended loglines, and actually writing the story in total.

• Brohoof 5

Ah, the face of the exact element I was addressing with my post. Don't call those people idiots. Just don't. Name calling gets people nowhere. What is happening is not abuse, mishandling at worst, but purposeful sabotage is the last thing on the staff's minds. It's a statistical improbability that every single one of the writers sits down at their meetings, twirls their mustaches, and says:

"How can we ruin this show today?" 

Who cares about getting paid? My emphasis was on the fact that they've been taught how to write. You claim you're better? Where have you studied? Can you write a screenplay properly? How does your dialogue look?

There's a difference between writing synposes of what happens, essentially extended loglines, and actually writing the story in total.

And here come the meaningless excuses.

Hmm... I guess I'd scrap everything after season 2 (cliché I know) and actually use what happened in those episodes as base material for the later episodes. If you actually go back ad look, you would not BELIEVE how many things were brought up early on that they just never went back to, even with the most obvious resons to do so. Remember when Twilight's magic went absolutely insane as a filly? Remember when Spike left for Canterlot on royal business? Remember when Applejack wanted to live life in the big city? When Dash spent a day helping Apple Bloom with her cutie mark? Rarity wanting the elements case? Pinkie enjoying hot sauce on cupcakes? Fluttershy's freaky knowledge of sewing?

They were so focused on moving forward that continuity is a very rare blessing. And that makes sense if you're trying to overhaul an established slice of life into a fantasy adventure series, but when you're staying slice of life good continuity is a must, so that's what I'd do.

Wait, that's what ruined the show for you? By not having enough throwbacks to these random events? Even the most trivial ones such as "Pinkie enjoying hot sauce on cupcakes"?

Uh well, art is subjective, so I guess that's an acceptable reason...

...Kind of.

I can write better than these guys, easily, and I'm not getting paid.

And no, I wouldn't ever say that about the first seasons episodes.

Anyway, in my opinion, I think your forced animal rights message you wanted at the end of "Three's a Crowd" is a terrible idea, but hey! Who am I to argue? After all, you can write better than the show staff.

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 4

Keep in mind that I'm not saying I'd be a better showrunner than the people who work on the show. Rather, I'm describing my personal style and tastes:

I'd hit some of the same plot beats, same characters, same world. However, I'd also bring a series with a close focus on how the Mane 6 are advancing in the world, together, as friends. A little more societal, but character-focused, and a dramedy in tone. 

Twilight's ability to organize ponies would be painted as less of a rainbow-power; she is great at establishing friendships because of her leadership and intelligence. She'd be more explicitly flawed and take longer to come out of her shell, with more of her social awkwardness lingering in later seasons as a intriguing contrast to her friendship skills. Twilight is completely changing the pattern of her life and old habits die hard. Rainbow Rocks' observation about high expectations would be in the show proper; everyone told her that she could do anything. Deep down she's just like anyone else, though, and that's the goal of her arc.

Rarity is great, of course. One of my favorite things about Rarity is how she defied her 'dull' upbringing and even her actual cutie mark talent to pursue high society and high fashion. She wears false eyelashes, her accent is affected, she's from little old Ponyville. I'd focus on those aspects more. She is a businessmare and artist, and she is possibly the most determined and visionary of the Mane 6. She also tends to be a little dramatic, of course, and at times surprisingly cold. She was never really close to her family and she's not sure how to have really solid friends rather than business contacts and she really doesn't like being messy. Her friends gradually open her up to the side of her that isn't meticulously crafted and bring her generosity more to the light.

Fluttershy. Fluttershy is a pony who was weak and suffered but used it to turn her compassion to others like her. That shows a lot of inner strength. She has the shepherd instinct. This also means, however, she can be prideful and stubborn. She's still the shy pony we all know and love, but I would focus more on the line between confidence and being controlling. At first, she doesn't realize she might be controlling at all, but this dawns on her as she becomes more comfortable around her friends. She's so used to understanding that everyone is out to get her, too, which makes it stranger. Does she assume too much? That's the question Fluttershy tackles.

Applejack is perf lol no fix. Alright, seriously now, Applejack has a bit in common with everyone above in a way (or more accurately they have more in common with AJ because I like her). However, with Applejack, it's about integrity. Applejack is honest and keeps her promises, but she lies to herself so much! She had to take on a lot of responsibility at a young age and unlike Twilight, who had high expectations thrust upon her, AJ limits herself with them. She thinks she needs to do everything and that everything will be ruined if she lets someone else take the reins, and what she needs to learn is to let go and be more realistic. AJ also is a bit hotheaded and stubborn like in S1, but this quickly dies down into her mature, reasonable self we all know and love. She does work hard to be the best she can be, after all. Her role as second-in-command to Twi is explored in later seasons.

Rainbow Dash's character arc will remain very similar to the show's (we do not talk about Rainbow Falls). I actually can't think of too much to expand upon here, as her arc is sort of a model for what I want with the others. Oh, one thing; the Wonderbolts are not jerks. NO. I REFUSE. The Wonderbolts should be admirable figures just as RD remembers them. The question is not if the WB are dicks, it's whether what they do and represent is what she actually wants once you clear away the idol worship.

Pinkie Pie, Pinkie Pie, the social butterfly and humor craftsman of the Mane 6. She loves being silly and fun, and she loves coming up with jokes to make everyone smile and laugh (bringing some interesting comparisons with Rarity). She's very paranoid about abandonment, unfortunately, and she's not very strong with having to take things at a more subdued pace either or making decisions. My Mane 6 are all very determined in their own way and Pinkie is no exception. Pinkie Pride exemplifies a lot that I like from the character. 

Spike is greatness. He can be selfish and immature, but he's also raised by a genius and is quite observant himself. I don't actually take much issue with his show characterization, but he ought to be treated a bit better by those around him. He's a part of the group too, and if he's being written out of an episode it's going to either be logical, POV-related (i.e. Mane 6 members would be gone for the same reasons), or really funny. Have a Community-esque bit with him at the end of each episode during the credits.

The CMC. I like what they're doing with them in Season 4 other than Diamond Tiara/Silver Spoon and the fact that I'd prefer for Scoots to be explicitly flightless. We would not have The Show Stoppers reveal their talents ahead of time; instead, have it subtly be included throughout. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are too flat. CMC should face conflicts with more rounded characters like the adults do. 

Celestia appears more. Plenty of interaction with her as part of my "this is a big world and the Mane 6 are stepping into it together" motif, as well as my version of Twilight having an even tighter god-friend-mom dynamic. 

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 2

Remove alicorn twilight, remove the rainbow/crystal/rock powers. They can keep the elements of harmony since that is what binds them all together. The only other thing I would change would be the amount of forced brony/pop culture references. It takes me out of mlp:fim and puts me into mlp: the internet.

Honestly? I wouldn't. I know for a fact I couldn't do it better than the show's staff have. Maybe I would retcon out Twilicorn, but then again the writers managed to salvage that plot point and others in season 4, and that's such old news now that it doesn't bother me anymore. If I were to do some kind of re-telling I'd probably go with a next generation type story, or perhaps a series set in the days of Starswhirl the Bearded.

1: The show would be based around the mane six as high school ponies all living in the backwater town of Ponyville. The series would start out with Twilight being sent to Ponyville because they didn't want to deal with her anymore (more on this in #2), and her "tree house" would literally be a normal tree with a small hole in it.

2: The mane six would be characteristically changed to be deeply flawed versions of themselves. Twilight, while intelligent, would be a regular drug user and somewhat of a sociopath, Pinkie Pie would be a complete psychotic with dreams of murder, Rarity would be obsessed with getting in bed with every stallion, Fluttershy would be a total "cat lady" who seeks the company of animals due to no one respecting her, Rainbow Dash would be self-centered and rather unintelligent but good hearted, and Applejack would be down to earth but a chronic alcoholic due to her family falling apart in front of her very eyes. In other words, the characterization would be very similar to that of the Mentally Advanced Series.

3: Princess Celestia would be the evil principal that uses the mane six as her "play thing".

4: There would be constant conflict and bullying within the mane six with their drastically flawed and varied personalities.

5: Many episodes would be focused on the social aspect of high school and the mane six's attempts to try and figure them out.

6: Each episode would reveal more and more about each character. They would ideally be very three dimensional and fleshed out.

7: The humor would be dry, melancholic and honest to earth. In fact, the whole show would be this way.

8: It wouldn't follow the typical TV show format. Think of something like Louie: random, strange but brilliant.

This may seem completely contradictory to what the real show is about, but I'd love to see our ponies partake in something so down to earth and relatable. The Mentally Advanced Series on YouTube has indicated that such a thing can be highly entertaining.

The biggest thing I would change would be Discord.  In Return of Harmony, I would establish it that (because of their connection to the Tree of Harmony) he can't affect the Mane 6 against their will & can't harm them.  Hey, they went into that maze, they consented to the contest (well, at least you could argue the case).  Turning them bad -hey he just put them in touch with their own inner brat.  Anyone would tell you enlightenment is good for you.

As it is, he is just too powerful.  I would make it more like Him in Power Puff Girls.

Also, a little more explicit about the ages of the Mane 6 & the CMCs.  + I would have let Dash graduate w the Wonderbolts & have Celestia assign her to Ponyville.

The biggest thing I would change would be Discord.  In Return of Harmony, I would establish it that (because of their connection to the Tree of Harmony) he can't affect the Mane 6 against their will & can't harm them.  Hey, they went into that maze, they consented to the contest (well, at least you could argue the case).  Turning them bad -hey he just put them in touch with their own inner brat.  Anyone would tell you enlightenment is good for you.

As it is, he is just too powerful.  I would make it more like Him in Power Puff Girls.

Also, a little more explicit about the ages of the Mane 6 & the CMCs.  + I would have let Dash graduate w the Wonderbolts & have Celestia assign her to Ponyville.

Well it's at least clear from the start that he has standards, standards which even Celestia falls short of.

"You wouldn't know that would you because I don't turn ponies into stone." Daaamn, way to call out the paragon of goodness, D.

I surmise that he values freedom absolutely, and as such he would never imprison or use force on anyone. It seemed to me like the "Chaos Capital" he was making was a place where anyone can do anything they want, hampered only by their actual ability to do so (naturally, being the most powerful one around, this puts Discord at the top, which suits him just fine). He could make others serve him, he could have gotten revenge on Celestia, but it's just not in him, he'd rather have fun on his own and leave everyone to their own devices.

That's what I got anyway.

• Brohoof 1