Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anypony On Here Straight Edge?

Denim&Venöm

What is straight edge you ask? It's an alternative lifestyle started as an offshoot and a reaction to the punk movement and it's hedonism and excess in rampant drug and alcohol use. It's core ethos is No Drugs, No Alcohol, No Smoking and living without harmful addictive substances. 

http://straightedge.com/whatissxe.html

I've been following it since I was 14, where I learned that being drug free was actually part of a movement and a subculture. Haven't looked back since.

straight_edge_by_kleptocorpse-d5kpw1d.jp
straight-edge.jpg

I don't follow any such movement, but I've never done any drugs and don't ever see any reason to. And after a couple of sips of some alcoholic drinks shortly after I turned 21, I'm not drinking either.

• Brohoof 1

I am also of no drugs, smoking, & such But I do have Red Wine ever Couple years @ Family Gatherings if I'm Not Driving. It's not following a movement, I don't give 2 Hoots what other people do, Just too much addiction on  both sides of my family so I decided Naw.

Edited by The Professor

I'd never heard of this, but I imagine it would be easy to fall into line with it, had I heard about it when we were, instead, forced to put up with the "D.A.R.E." program.

I already enjoyed the type of music behind it at that age, when my mind and will were more malleable.

I find all of those to be completely worthless and I pity those who got addicted to them.... and I hate those who lie to themselves and everyone saying its not that bad for you..... though I'm apart of no movement and do not wish to be.... 

• Brohoof 1

Why does it need to be a "alternative lifestyle" to live that way?  That should be the default way of living; anyone who thinks having drugs, smoking and alcohol is the normal way of living needs to reconsider their life choices.  I'm not saying they shouldn't do it if that's what they really choose, I just don't see why living without it should be the "alternate".

My brother was into that when he as in high school, I never got involved with that but never got into drugs except for maybe smoking pot once or twice, never touched tobacco and only drink in moderation.

• 1 month later...

It's commendable and I'm glad you're on it, OP, but I'm not. I don't use any illegal drugs or anything right now, but I may some day, especially if things keep going as bad overall as they have been for a long time.

• Brohoof 1

I can easily see myself smoking with how much my life is falling apart. I probably wouldn't drink (except for maybe wine), but insulting those who do is kind of unnecessary imo. And I always found it kinda funny how most people part of these anti-drug/alcohol movements are usually the ones who eventually end up drinking/smoking. Do what you like, and others can do what they like. 

• Brohoof 2

I can easily see myself smoking with how much my life is falling apart. I probably wouldn't drink (except for maybe wine), but insulting those who do is kind of unnecessary imo. And I always found it kinda funny how most people part of these anti-drug/alcohol movements are usually the ones who eventually end up drinking/smoking. Do what you like, and others can do what they like.

I know I just said I might do drugs some day, and that's true. And I know exactly how you feel about wanting to smoke or use drugs, but I still feel obligated to say how harmful this shit really is, which you probably already know but we all need a reminder sometimes. 

Just remember there's 2 sides to the drug coin. It can be great while you're high, but no matter what there will be times when you are not high. In fact, that will be most of your life, and if it's not you'll probably die before you see the next year. Drugs can have horrible effects on you emotionally and physically, even if you only "try it once." They're addictive and that just makes it worse. It also eats money out of your pocket and it can easily draw you into some very bad and violent crowds of people who don't give a fuck about you. All drug dealers care about is your money. If you OD the next morning they won't give a shit. 

I recommend watching movies like Trainspotting and Requiem for a Dream. They can give you insight into the ugly implications of all of this, implications that drug dealers will do their best to hide from you. 

For me, I'm aware of all of the dangers but I feel like there may come a point when I just don't care if I'm on my own. If I end up getting married and having kids that's a completely different story. I'd stay out of this life for their sake. But otherwise, I just don't even know.

• Brohoof 1

Yea gets frustrating when people who do party a bit weekly or so automatically get looked down on. People who are straight edge, or don't do drugs act like they're better than us and have the right somehow to tell us we are wrong. News flash you may be clean of drugs and alcohol but by no means are you better than anyone or have the right to tell us how we should live. Not to mention I'm sure you guys do plenty others wrong outside of drugs and alcohol. If you don't party in this way then awesome for you but don't pretend your better than anyone else.

• Brohoof 2

Not that I'd ever call myself Straight Edge since it's not something I'd like to make a big deal out of to anyone, I don't look down on people who choose to drink or smoke for whatever reasons, their life is their own as is their choices. I don't condone the use of illegal drugs, but I've accepted it's a simple fact of life that can happen, and I do, however, take an issue if their lifestyle begins negatively effecting another persons life that wants nothing to do with it. Take your own consequences.

But yes, that being said I don't drink or smoke myself. I simply find no interest in alcohol and honestly consider it too expensive to be a regular indulgence, especially in this country. I do have the odd drink on the special occasion like Christmas dinner or some kind of big family get together, but I wouldn't spend a night out at a bar or anything like that, just not my idea of entertainment.