Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did anyone like Discord MORE as a villain?

Drunkfrank

So I just watched s1-4 again in prep for the upcoming 5th season of the show, and I noticed something, I much preferred Discord as this evil but hilarious presence that could just fuck with the ponies for fun, now don't get me wrong, I loved Discords character very much in s4, but now I also have this worry hes going to become much nicer and less pranky in s5 (going off the s4 finale) I think overall, Discord was more fun when he was "evil" although he is the only villain whos reformation would of made sense.

"H" to the "e" to the "ll yes!", my friend.

I've often lamented the fall of Daddy D from perilous prince to declawed dolt.

I mean, props to Fluttershy for taming him, but considering he is literally the embodiment of Disharmony, for him to be buddies with the Mane Six, paragons of Harmony as they are, just seems wrong. Can't we have a villain who simply doesn't wish to be redeemed, who can keep returning to wreak havoc and actually be the Mashy Spike Plate to the Mane Six's Aristotle? Apparently, nope.

But there's nothing you or I can do about it, so we're stuck with it.

• Brohoof 1

It's too early to tell as he was still a bit evil in season 4 (I for one didn't see many differences between seasons 2-3 and season 4).

We still don't know how he'll behave in season 5...

Edited by Blobulle

I agree, His reformation was a pretty stupid one, while Sunset and Nightmare Moon didn't have a complex path to redeemtion or some cliche stuff, At the very least There was a reason they turned good(The EoH Having the ability to do that for some reason). Discird being lonely made no sense without a backstory as he could clearly Create friends on his own since he has OP powers.

• Brohoof 1

I think that he isn't 100% good.

I think that he's now good in a sense, that he won't bring chaos and disorder to Equestria anymore, but that dosen't mean that he can't screw around with the Mane 6 anymore.

Who knows what they have in store for him in Season 5, because we will atleast see 1 or 2 Episodes with him.

that dosen't mean that he can't screw around with the Mane 6 anymore.

I fully expect that he will. But I imagine that it will be either with the aim of teaching the main cast a valuable lesson, or preventing a larger problem.

Example: everypony wakes up to find that Discord has caused all the buildings in Ponyville to float around again. The mane 6 challenge Discord who merely tells them that they can thank him later. He refuses to put them down, so the ponies build ladders and bridges so that everypony can cope with the new arrangement. In the afternoon, the river bursts its banks and Ponyville is flooded. But there's little damage because all the buildings are floating around in the air.

Edited by VitalTwilightSparkle
  • Brohoof 1

Discord proved himself as a good non-villain character. He messes with people, bringing them on zany adventures (Three's a crowd"), or helping them indirectly (the mane 6's journal with bookmarks pointing out the answers). 

He had some character development, especially at the end of season 4(now he is less prideful). We can assume his truly a good guy now, so he's not returning to villanism any time soon.

He does have some potential in the new season. The equalists are too orderly to not piss off Discord. He will, or at least should, do something to help mane 6 on their quest. So he'll show more of his now-truly-good-side in action. 

It was nice back when the show had a villain similar to Mxyzptlk. Plus the idea of him reforming really doesn't make much sense when you think about it. He's supposed literally be the spirit of chaos and disharmony...So how could something like that be anything but evil?

If it's still possible to corrupt the ponies who represent the Elements, especially by making them the inverse of their Element, then the opposite could be possible to tone down the evilness of the spirit of chaos.

I thought he was rather weak as a villain; definitely one of the least interesting of the so-called actual villains. His reformation is actually adding a bit of depth and struggle to him, and I liked him from the S4 finale. I'm actually curious how they handle him in S5.

Well yeah, he's a fantastic villain, not just for a kids' show, but in his own right, vastly better than the others in the show. But really, they did what they could with him, and it was great, but they couldn't just bring him back. The only options were to leave him out forever or make it so he can be around without screwing everything up all the time. He was a fantastic villain, the reformation (which is a misnomer anyway) was superb, and... well I think it's fair to say he just hasn't been handled very well since then. It's not that he's inherently bad as an antihero, the writing team screwed up literally every single character that season so it doesn't really count any more than saying Twilight is a worse character since she got her wings.

Well yeah, he's a fantastic villain, not just for a kids' show, but in his own right, vastly better than the others in the show. But really, they did what they could with him, and it was great, but they couldn't just bring him back. The only options were to leave him out forever or make it so he can be around without screwing everything up all the time. He was a fantastic villain, the reformation (which is a misnomer anyway) was superb, and... well I think it's fair to say he just hasn't been handled very well since then. It's not that he's inherently bad as an antihero, the writing team screwed up literally every single character that season so it doesn't really count any more than saying Twilight is a worse character since she got her wings.

if we're talking about season 3 being shit, well it didn't have many episodes I liked, but it didn't destroy every character, but it wasn't that good of a season.

Discord was really good, I think he was his best in season 4 in terms of humour. Needs to be in season 5 MOAR.

• Brohoof 1

if we're talking about season 3 being shit, well it didn't have many episodes I liked, but it didn't destroy every character, but it wasn't that good of a season.

What? No, season 4 screwed up literally everyone, from the mane 6 and Spike to the princesses to Discord to Flim and Flam.

What? No, season 4 screwed up literally everyone, from the mane 6 and Spike to the princesses to Discord to Flim and Flam.

Well that's your opinion on season four. To me season four was probably the best or second best. I think Discord was better in season four.

Even during Return of Harmony, I would describe Discord as more mischievous than malevolent. That is likely part of the reason I was fine with his reformation as a concept. Since it is hard not to draw a comparison to Q, I will also mention that Q started as more adversarial then he ended up, but was still accepted by the Trekkie fandom as the mischievous troll. I can see Discord still paying that role a little. I enjoyed his darker side, but I am perfectly fine when he is presented as more friendly. I still want him to screw around with the Mane Six.

:umad: 

Even during Return of Harmony, I would describe Discord as more mischievous than malevolent. That is likely part of the reason I was fine with his reformation as a concept. Since it is hard not to draw a comparison to Q, I will also mention that Q started as more adversarial then he ended up, but was still accepted by the Trekkie fandom as the mischievous troll. I can see Discord still paying that role a little. I enjoyed his darker side, but I am perfectly fine when he is presented as more friendly. I still want him to screw around with the Mane Six.

It was never really about being malevolent or mischievous, it's just about him doing whatever he wants, whenever he wants.

It was a case of a villain being SO popular they felt compelled to bring him back for fan demand. Thing is, there wasn't much they could DO with him as he was, so they decided to try to make him good. (There are a number of Anime antagonists, Marvel Comics villains, and some vampires who are in the same boat)

Me, I'm okay with him as is. I didn't think he was such a great villain. I liked what he did to Mane 6, but his ultimate goal--turning Equestria into Whacky Land--just never felt particularly evil.

After "Twilight's Kingdom", it feels like he's really reformed now. Though I imagine he'll still troll our heroines from time to time. He wouldn't be Dicord if he didn't.

I would suppose it's a matter of perspective, preference, and opinion.

In any case, I wasn't totally impressed by Discord as a villain, and while his 'reformation' during S3 was rushed thanks to time constraints, I thought he was handled competently through S4.

We;ll just have to agree to disagree on the princesses. ;)