Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's the worst song you've ever heard?

Heylookabrony

I don't know - pretty sure the instrumentation is different! Which is a big deal for me... But I'm not really fond of country instrumentation. So even though it's less electronic than modern pop (which I think is very hollow) it's still not my thing. Both genres are irritating to me and I'd rather them not be playing when I'm present.

BTW, not really understanding this magical distinction between new country and old country... I don't really like anything even remotely country aside from Bluegrass (which I hardly know of anything from to begin with).

If you look at older artists (pre 1980's), many of them fall into Bluegrass and Folk music today, whereas back then, that was Country Music. Instrumentation is not really a good point because the only distinction is the Violin, and there are Pop Songs that use the violin (like Britney Spears' Toxic)....The Banjo is the only exception in this, but not many mainstream country songs use the banjo. It is most associated with Bluegrass (same goes for the Harmonica), although it too is being seen in mainstream Pop music. The violin is the only thing that brings down the "electronic" nature in the music, but overall, the instrumentation has just as many bells and whistles as Pop.

Where's the Mandolin, Dobro, Steel Guitar, Accordion and Autoharp???? All these instruments were classic to country music, but they simply do not exist anymore in that genre. Music with this instrumentation is also considered bluegrass and folk, not country.

Edited by Treble Bolt

If you look at older artists (pre 1980's), many of them fall into Bluegrass and Folk music today, whereas back then, that was Country Music. Instrumentation is not really a good point because the only distinction is the Violin, and there are Pop Songs that use the violin (like Britney Spears' Toxic)....The Banjo is the only exception in this, but not many mainstream country songs use the banjo. It is most associated with Bluegrass (same goes for the Harmonica), although it too is being seen in mainstream Pop music. The violin is the only thing that brings down the "electronic" nature in the music, but overall, the instrumentation has just as many bells and whistles as Pop.

Where's the Mandolin, Dobro, Steel Guitar, Accordion and Autoharp???? All these instruments were classic to country music, but they simply do not exist anymore in that genre. Music with this instrumentation is also considered bluegrass and folk, not country.

In all honesty, I try to avoid country like the plague and really can't point to many examples... (Out of my 5200 or so songs in my library only 2-3 are country. LOL) But when I have to hear it (and I have a lot), I definitely hear a drastic change in instrumentation and sound versus non-Country. Vocal styles, slide guitar, etc. The violin is present in non-country pop, but is typically played in an entirely different fashion.

Edited by Envy

Friday by Rebecca Black, obviously.

Oh, and the entire rap genre, but I listen to Iggy Azalea. I mostly listen to indie and rock music.

Like this:

Edited by moonBeam

Why I must always think by the term "modern country" to Rednex Cotten eyes joe? Eurodance with country elements from sweden ... a big hit in 1994.  :lol:

btw.: I found this. "Rock" music combined with german/austrian folk music. Why?!  :(

They call this neue Volksmusik (new folk musik), VolXmusik or Volkspunk. I mean, old german folk music is not so mine, but this? What is this? It's terrible.  :eww:

Even though i do hate songs like Anaconda, Baby and all those, "Hot Problems" definetely takes the cake. This song, if it can be called that, made me cringe through every second of it. Maybe because the ones who sing Cant Sing. Oh lord, just remembering it makes me sick...

• Brohoof 1

Everyone in my class know I hate two things, This and "WHAT ARE THOOOOO." HATE IT.  :angry:

Its the exact opposite of everyone in my school. They all ask me if I can whip, and I reply no because I hate it and then they expect an explanation and that I should do it. I'm not going to fucking do a stupid dance that is a total rip-off of Soulja Boy and so many other stupid songs and dances.

I'd rather listen to any other song in existence.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

Watch Me: For being a blatant ripoff of bad/forgettable dance songs from the 2000s

Stupid Hoe: For being the worst diss track of all time

Baby: For having a terribly and utterly annoying high pitched vocal performance by Justin.

Only: For being bland, boring, and awful for everyone involved.

Anaconda: For terribly sampling Sir Mix-a-lot's, and not doing anything with it.

We Can't Stop: For being a desperate attempt at attention seeking in the worst way possible.

Harlem Shake: Because its a fucking meme.

The Fox: See Harlem Shake

Bubblebutt: Although I'm still not convinced its a song.

Dark Horse: For a terrible video and terrible lyrics

This Is How We Do: For being everything Katy's harshest critics have ever said about her becoming reality.

Hit The Quan: For ripping off Watch Me, and being even worse.

London Bridge: For being the worst song to hit #1 in the 2000s.

Drunk In Love: For trying way too hard to be every single genre in 1 song.

Let It Go: For being the worst song from a Disney movie to hit the charts since Pocahontas.

Nasty Freestyle: I blame Vine and stupid teens who will listen to anything that has "rapping" in it.

Hotline Bling: For being legit elevator music.

She Knows: For the pedophilic overtones of a squealing 2 year old girl in the background.

Birthday Cake: For featuring Chris Brown on a Rihanna song, as well as those terrible instrumentals.

Thinking Out Loud: For being a boring slow song.

Lollipop: For comparing someone's dick to a lollipop.

The Motto: For starting the YOLO trend, as well as injuring and killing many in the past 4 years.

Post To Be: For being a minimalist complex DJ Mustard song.

U.O.E.N.O: For being boring, terribly produced beat, as well as awful lyrics.

Fack: for being Eminem's worst song to date.

Hello Kitty: For trying way too hard to appeal to Japan.

Loyal: For Chris Brown

Trap Queen: For just terrible vocals alone

Yeah, that's about it for me.

• Brohoof 1

Plain White T's- 1,2,3,4

I already have a bias against romance songs, cause they're so egotistical, the writer thinking we actually give a damn about their relationship. This one sounds like it was written by a 3rd grader. Freakin seaseme street levels of song complexity. And it doesn't help that I have to hear it every single day at work. 

• 6 years later...

I don't really work with "worst", but I will just put one that really gets on my nerves.

I may surprise some, but...

trumpet sound

EVERYONE STAND FOR NATIONAL NICE GUYS ANTHEM

I am not one to brandish songs as "the worst", but these lyrics are purely cringeworthy and make me sick. Normally I care little for radio music, but this is bane on my existence at work and makes me feel like I am on some acid trip into r/niceguys anytime my radio decides to make my day just that bit worse by playing this jam, full force xD

Also I almost accidentaly posted it on my theme song thread and now I dislike it even more :laugh:

• Brohoof 1

On 2015-10-05 at 10:41 PM, One-Punch Man said:

If you want to cringe uncontrollably, an feel super scared all at the same time...

How they ever became popular in the first place baffles me to this day.

• Brohoof 1

I actually don't remember. There are countless of bad songs, and countless of horrible songs. None of them can really take the number 1 spot on my list. It needs to truly be bad, and annoy me, and I am not easily annoyed by songs.

• Brohoof 1