Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I don't really get the appeal of background ponies.

MysticShine

(edited)

One thing I notice that is popular in this fandom is background ponies. I know people are really into them, but I never really understood their appeal myself. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate background ponies; it just kind of confuses me. There really isn't much personality given to them in the show, so I have nothing to go off of. I know people give them personalities in fan work, but to me, that's like creating your own OC.

I'm not bashing, but I'm just curious to know what you guys enjoy about them.

Edited by Mountaineer28
  • Brohoof 3

Fans most likely enjoy the background ponies for the reason that you stated; they can give them personalities, usually based on their appearance.

I just realized that I posted this on Derpy Day. DX

I like several of the background ponies that haven't spoken ( like Vinyl Scratch. )

I guess the fact you can imprint your interpretation of their personality on them is what I like about them.

A lot can be derived about them, but your mind is free to fill in the holes.

Plus, they do have potential to be expanded on as well. I would like to see some episodes introducing their personalities.

• Brohoof 1

Mystery and intrigue.

Plus, I can easily see why some ponies fall for vinyl scratch, especially if they are in to music. Maybe some of us see something in themselves in these background ponies.

Also, equestria feels almost like it could be a real place, and we want to get to know all the ponies.

My opinions: now back to chores that are keeping me from mlpforums...

• Brohoof 2

It's mostly their designs for me honestly, as their fanon personalities. Their fanon personalities seem fitting for each pony, and that's mostly Octavia, Vinyl, Lyra (not the human obsession), BonBon, and Ditzy (not the daughter/mother thing with dinky)  I'm talking about.

They've given off enough screentime in the show to see what type of personalities they'd have, Octavia is usually fancy and playing, so it could be assumed she's fancy and rather uptight. Vinyl is loud in the show, so she'd be loud and into having fun in the fanon. Lyra seems hyper such as bouncing up and down, so she'd be like that in fanon while BonBon would be the normal leveled ground. Ditzy is shown to be a klutz, so like that in the fanon.

Honestly Octavia, Roseluck, Flitter, and Cloudchaser have better designs than the mane ponies.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

That's where the fandom can really go and create new mythology. Like the adorable and unlikely shipping of Maud and Trixie for example,

tumblr_inline_ndch89ZAmc1steybp.gif

Lyra's fascination with hands and humans,

0b2c8c7093e2bd8434e6a263ee27824d.jpg

Derpy's love of Muffins (and a certain time travelling Doctor)

DocWhooves_large.jpg

and a certain "winning" pony (Cloudkicker)

cloud_kicker_in_trouble_by_inuhoshi_to_d

And that's just the tip of the Iceberg. If it wasn't for background poinies there wouldn't half the fandom we have today. I came for the cartoon. I STAYED for the fandom.

Edited by Freewave

I actually don't do as well. I sometimes wonder why people are more focused on the ponies in the background during an episode, while the real action is happening with the mane 6.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

They tend to be popular because of their designs or because they're doing something weird or silly in the background, and the fanbase loves to mold them into their liking

Though I tend to be part of the fanbase that never understood the fandom's obsession over background ponies, I won't deny that some of their designs are intriguing like Vinyl Scratch and Cloudchaser

Edited by Megas75

Yes, Flitter is the best!!!!! I love her so much!

Now that I think about it, I do like Flitter, Cloudchaser, and her group. Maybe it's the more popular ones like Lyra, Bon Bon, Octavia, and so on that I'm not getting.

Now that I think about it, I do like Flitter, Cloudchaser, and her group. Maybe it's the more popular ones like Lyra, Bon Bon, Octavia, and so on that I'm not getting.

Oh, I just relied I did not answer the question, I like them because I like the way they look.

It feeds the bronies' creative minds.

we can give them a personality

we can give them a name.

we can give them a background story

we can give them a voice

we can give them a ship

and best of all

we can give them a flaw, which feeds all fan songs, stories, and ideas.

whats not to like? :D 

• Brohoof 2

Yeah some of them I really dont' get why they are that popular.  i mean i can get why Derpy, the doctor, lyra and bon bon are popular.  But vinyle and such eh...

and I really don't like the berry bunch is drunk thing the fandom makes berry out to be it just ugh annoying.

• Brohoof 1

It feeds the bronies' creative minds.

we can give them a personality

we can give them a name.

we can give them a background story

we can give them a voice

we can give them a ship

and best of all

we can give them a flaw, which feeds all fan songs, stories, and ideas.

whats not to like? :D

That is essentially like creating an original character though.

I'm the type that imagines FIM as a "living world", where things happen in the episodes themselves,but also outside of them. That means all of these characters are doing things and have lives, personalities, etc, even if they're not a part of the Mane Six or supporting cast. Personally, it's just fun to come up with those kinds of ideas, and it helps me enjoy the show more.

• Brohoof 1

I can see what you mean. They're not really involved in the show or anything. The main appeal is the fact that they're a direct connection to the bronies from DHX. It's one of the only things in the show at the moment that panders to us. Some people think the background ponies look cool or whatever and give them personalities, and when they appear in the show, fans will see them and be more hype than they would be at one that they've never seen before.

One thing I notice that is popular in this fandom is background ponies. I know people are really into them, but I never really understood their appeal myself. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate background ponies; it just kind of confuses me. There really isn't much personality given to them in the show, so I have nothing to go off of. I know people give them personalities in fan work, but to me, that's like creating your own OC.

I'm not bashing, but I'm just curious to know what you guys enjoy about them.

I believe you just answered yourself; the reason for the appeal of background Ponies is:

spongebob-imagination-picture-82.jpg

• Brohoof 2