Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things in the Brony fandom you feel are overplayed/don't feel right

MrHaru

@@Stellafera,

As someone who never had the nerve to come out to family members as bisexual, I find it somewhat insulting and demeaning to use the phrase "Coming Out" in terms of a television program.

Actually, the true insult isn't the phraseology, but the fact that society placed that misandric stigma even prior to bronydom. As a New Yorker, I don't have to worry about not expressing my passions on what I watch, and I have the family and friends who are more than willing to embrace what I like. But in very conservative societies like the Bible Belt, gender roles are not only part of the norm, but important for growth and survival into adulthood.

I also believe that the use of the phrase brought about the misguided "Gay" connotation of being a Brony, not the other way around.

This opinion not only has very homophobic implications. It's also very dangerous. By scapegoating bronies as being the ones responsible for closet bronydom to exist, you're placing the blame on bronies who honestly do feel they can't reveal their passion for the product. It's like telling a girl she can't wear a specific style of clothing because men will stare at her. If you're going to blame someone, blame society for enforcing the harmful stigma.

There have been cases where closet bronies have a reason to be in the closet. We had one case here on this forum where one brony was bullied by his family after he came out of the closet as one, actually believing something is wrong with him. Then there's the bullying of bronies as "autistic" or "gay" just because they have the audacity to like it.

Is it anywhere near the impact of coming out as LGBT? No. But it has impact nonetheless. One episode where bronies regardless of age or gender get bullied for being bronies is one too many. Encouraging bronies to be open about their passions should be something to endorse. Why? Because it means you're forcing society to progress. No matter the gender and age, by being a brony, you're already challenging the social and gender constructs of society. Discrediting closet bronies from being open enforces these archaic constructs.

If the bigots aren't ready for social progress? Tough shit.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

"Coming out" as a brony thing, especially when compared to coming out as gay.

People want to have the legal right to murder me in cold blood, but oh no...you liking a cartoon is so much worse. It's a cartoon, it's not a part of your identity.

• Brohoof 2

"Coming out" as a brony thing, especially when compared to coming out as gay.

People want to have the legal right to murder me in cold blood, but oh no...you liking a cartoon is so much worse. It's a cartoon, it's not a part of your identity.

Just because closet bronies coming out doesn't have anywhere close to the impact as the LGBT doesn't change the fact that it's impactful. Bronies should have the ability to express their passion, but how society treats men who like feminine products is disgusting. Closet bronydom exist because of social constructs. Discrediting them in any way for this is implying a severe lack of interest in removing these decades-old gender constructs, and your unnecessary sarcasm only enforces this implication.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

MLP Analysis - This fandom really has some sort of unhealthy desire to have analysts/reviewers approval of anything. They aren't the be all end all. 

Also I get that there are people who want to share there opinion or their insight on certain things regarding the show, but a lot of time I feel people either complain about stuff that a reasonable human being wouldn't give two shits about, or are seriously over-thinking things or whine about things that don't matter

Also Sonic x Rainbow Dash being an actual ship - because it exists

Nothing, I love every part of our fandom. Call it a cop out if you want but that's my honest feeling. I love our fandom for all it's peaks and valleys, it's saints and it's sinners. I am proud to call myself a brony and will mark this era as one with pride till the end of my days.

• Brohoof 1

why is Nowacking the absolute ONLY voice attached to Vinyl so far?

Nowacking isn't the only fan voice for Vinyl, there are several others, she just happens to be the most popular. As far as things being over done, I'll have to agree with the shipping. Anymore it's every pony being shipped with everything they can, Twilight and Spike, Celestia and Rarity, there's even a Tom and Boulder somewhere on the net, I'm sure. Remember when shipping used to be unique? Haha

The non-stop shipping of one Pony with another and how there are whole fandoms just about that.

The MLP made me a better person thing a lot of people on this forum say. Like seriously? All the things they teach on the show you should know already.

• Brohoof 1

@MrHaru, these mega threads that allow for multiple topics to be discussed are unfortunately not conducive to a clear and focused conversation, are bad for SEO, and have an effect of becoming nothing more substantive than a list thread. Also people tend to think that these threads give them an false sense of security if they put something that insults a group or person. For these reasons we are locking the thread.

Any topic in here can be discussed independently. 'There's a thread for that.' :)

• Brohoof 2