Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My problem with Fimfiction.net (Discrimination)

Tom Snyder

(edited)

You really think you're the only user requesting these admins to lift your penalty? You really think that out of all of the posts they sift through every day, they would take extra time to reconsider yours just because you pulled an autism-card? Especially after accusing them of "discrimination"?

An apology is all that's required and the they can go back to doing what they want. Its called ganging up on a defenseless writer who can't stop them, its their fault, not mine. I'm respectful of them, but they lost that after the stunt they pulled. I can't believe people defend them like this, omg.

Might as well get the firing squad out here, cause they've killed me already; and i hope the bad karma they're getting bites them back. Do something bad to one person and somehting bad will happen to you, and hopefully its the admins and mods on that site that'll be wishing they apologized.

Edited by Candy Star

An apology is all that's required and the they can go back to doing what they want.

And what do you expect to accomplish from that? Principle? The only reason they would take the time to apologize is to stop you from filling up their inbox.

Edited by SpaceOnion

Okay from just this thread alone how could they know you had AS? Because i don't think they did untill you started ranting about discrimination against you by taking down you story. Because they possibly didn't. making you accusations somewhat incorrect.

Edited by Scare Effect
  • Brohoof 1

its really not ganging up on somebody though. Its just removing content from a site that they've perceived to be against the rules. Thats perfectly fine. 
Its not discriminatory in any way , they're treating you with the assumption that autistic people can follow rules like everyone else, that's like, the exact opposite of discrimination.
And they're not going to apologize if you accuse them of being bigots, that puts people on the defensive, because its rude (And in this case, grossly untrue). 
Again, I'd suggest forgetting about it in this case. Maybe give yourself some time to think over it ,perhaps consider their perspective on this. 

• Brohoof 3

BREAKING NEWS:

Admiral Regulus here, reporting for BNN. After an unforgiving lawsuit pressed by a man, two stories have been republished to a fanfiction website--after being down for many long and agonizing weeks. The admins of the site, initially ignoring the victim, were found guilty of antagonistic behavior on account of the victim having Asperger's syndrome. They now face charges of discrimination, dumbassery, and general "being-a-prick". They are expected to pay a fine of 20k, and serve five years of jail time each. This is a glorious day for human rights enthusiasts worldwide.

Now back to you, Chad.

• Brohoof 8

I don't want to put anymore fuel to the fire here, because this conversation is already a bit heated and i would repeat stuff that the others already said. So this is all i am going to say to you Candy.

Don't do it. I never saw any evidence here, that shows me that they "discriminated" you.

Yeah, well, you have to remember that FIMFiction is a very, very large membered site, many being trolls too. They probably deal with alot of stuff (the admins) every day, and they don't really have the 'time' for specific things like this. Not saying it's not important, but I think a lawsuit is exageration, don't ya think? I'd suggest, personally, to just use fanfiction.net, since it's WAYYYY less moderated than FIMFiction.

• Brohoof 2

Whatever condition you have doesn't really mean you have any right to disobey the rules. So its not really discrimination, more treating everybody equally no matter what condition they have. Because honestly if it were the case that you could ignore rules because of this literally everyone who uses the site could then go "Oh well if I can break rules if I claim I have AS , why shouldn't I?"

This person brings up a good point to me.

What proof do you have that you have AS? Because, as far as they know, you are just lying about having it.

I'm not saying you are, I'm just saying they might be thinking that.

Oh yeah, i'm sure they won't mind me putting a lawsuit against them for discrimination. They abuse their power, and never listen to my explanation. This is unjustifable, and i'm not taking this sitting down. You try explaining this to them an see how they react to me, they don't have the right to treat me so disrespectfully.

Where is your evidence? You are making a rather bold claim by suggesting that they are guilty of discrimination yet you have offered no concrete proof here that fimfiction has indeed done so. I am on the Autism spectrum as well so I can related to saying things that others can misinterpret as being rude and there is nothing wrong with trying to explain that to people but have you ever considered that some of this may be misunderstandings on their part instead of just trying to assume the worst?

And by complaining that your rights are being violated without offering any proof of wrong doing other than an argument that amounts to "moderation on fimfiction sucks" makes you appear like you are using your Aspergers as an excuse to play the victim which will not earn you any sympathy from them or anyone here.Also even if say fimfiction really is guilty of discrimination they are a privately owned website and can make whatever rules they please so if you actually did try to sue them you would laughed out of court. That is not to say that everything they do is right but again you have offered no evidence of wrong doing and even if you had it the best you can do is either follow their rules or leave that site and go elsewhere. Or if you have the time and resources perhaps create your own site with your own rules.

• Brohoof 3

An apology is all that's required and the they can go back to doing what they want. Its called ganging up on a defenseless writer who can't stop them, its their fault, not mine. I'm respectful of them, but they lost that after the stunt they pulled. I can't believe people defend them like this, omg.

Might as well get the firing squad out here, cause they've killed me already; and i hope the bad karma they're getting bites them back. Do something bad to one person and somehting bad will happen to you, and hopefully its the admins and mods on that site that'll be wishing they apologized.

You have to understand man, that while you may have a legitimate claim to not crossing the line they thought you did with editing your stories, it's understandable how they'd make the mistake if the changes were pretty notable, and actually did result in a fairly different story. I didn't read them so I don't know.  :wat:  Suffice to say, we as independent, relatively unbiased individuals can at least understand how they'd take issue with your story, and also how you would take issue with their verdict. However, you are throwing the fault 100% on the moderators that also help protect and improve our community; so all the defense your getting on their part, is likely to balance out the side that feels heavily criticized.  :huh: I mean, I'm not into demonizing their actions OR yours.

Right now, the mods here are the higher authority, and even if they don't act in perfect judgment at all times, their word is still closer to law than any others. We generally trust them to act fairly and level-headedly, and In my own opinion, they've proven they do a great job more often than not. So, even if they wronged you (which is still a gray area/unknown in my opinion), you have to realize they have also done a lot right too.

The quote above... well, you may want to cool off and think about things later on, when it's less fresh. Your words smack extremely hard of a victimized mindset, and it will get in the way of the sympathy that you want (as you've seen from the responses here), and overall weaken your argument. You're repainting their actions as malicious and discriminatory, and yours as innocent and pure. In reality, the situation may be a misunderstanding on their part, and/or a legitimate oversight/mistake on your part. Basically, something between black and white. To deny you could have any fault, is to practically say it wasn't about your story at all, and they were picking on you because you're you. I don't know if people treat you badly in real life, but here, that transfer doesn't need to be made.  :) It's overall a pleasant community, and I like to think we're pretty open-minded and nice (granted a lot of people also didn't take a sense of harmony to heart, but what can you do).

I think the best thing you can do, is just try to move forward--maybe clarify what the mods took issue with, and attempt to not do it again.  ;)  If you can, try to see it from their side of things. Progress following a disagreement generally can't be made without momentarily putting aside your own conclusions and assumptions, and looking for valid evidence in the other side.

We are all only human, and just trying our best~♥

Ok look dude, you need to understand that we are defending them cause it really doesn't seem like they did anything wrong. You haven't made a strong enough case for yourself. I have aspergers, just like you, and I have learned over the years that when stuff like this happens you need to be the bigger person and get over it. They said "stop making excuses" which I will admit dose sound a little insensitive, but is actually justified when you consider many with aspergers use it as a crutch when a mistake is made. You don't use your socal disorder as a crutch! That is the most immature thing you can do! Please just cut your losses and move on, you won't win this, it happened and you have to accept it.          

Edited by Zantetsuken
  • Brohoof 4

1. Always keep copies of your work on your own computer. Don't edit them solely on their own site.

2. fanfiction.net, while more general, is much more tolerant.

• Brohoof 1

Why don't we all calm down for a moment. We're not here to insult each other.

@, I think you have to decide what you want this thread to be. Are you:

1. asking for advice?

2. venting a frustrating turn of events?

3. trying to find a way to get that apology you want?

... something else?

Your answer will determine what people understand and how people respond to this thread.

Also: if you really want us to judge what's been going on, perhaps you would consider giving a fully-detailed account of everything that's happened. A conversation history, or a continuous narrative of what's happened, would help us figure out what's been going on and give advice or understand better. Right now, the story is a bit jumbled and hard to figure out. As it stands, it's wide open for misunderstanding.

• Brohoof 1

So admins, before you shut down this post because of ignorance, i want you to ask them; why do you punish a person who has a disorder? They're response will be incriminating enough.

Hi there, friend! :) I'm not shutting this thread down due to ignorance. I'm going to lock it because a thread of this caliber is much more suited for a blog post. Threads like this don't really lead to much good, thoughtful discussion that can last for ages even after this event has very well passed.