Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does this season feel a bit....fillerish to you?

Buck Testa

Should I be worried about a season of filler?  

47 users have voted

1. 1. Should I be worried about this season having a lot of filler?

• Nah don't worry about it
    • Lets see what happens before we draw conclusions
    • I kind of thought the same thing but didn't want to say anything about it
    • Yeah this isn't what I expected out of season five
    • Rage! All of my Rage at filler! RAGE I say!

I'm not saying I hate it or anything but...I mean besides the first two episodes has there been any real plot development, especially with what they started with in the premier? The last episode was nearly entirely a dream sequence.

Last season had a similar issue (though not as bad), and I had thought with that opener they would be doing things with that map. It could still happen, we are only just starting with the season after all, but it seems to not be following up on the premise the season started with. 

• Brohoof 2

Whoa, you can't make any judgments just four episodes in out of 26.

Oh, and keep in mind that MLP:FiM has always been more about the character development than the plot-- it never has had the pretensions of having an overreaching plot, not even at this time.

As long as we see either character or plot development, I'm sure whatever negative aspects of the season being "fillerish" will disappear.

• Brohoof 6

No, not all episodes are pot of an overarching plot. This was especially evident in S1 with the Gala and S4 with the Keys and the Tree of Harmony, as only a couple of episodes were part of the arch. And while some episodes are not part of the arc, it doesn't mean it isn't relevant.

Some episodes between seasons may share a theme too

Also this season literally just started

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 4

I think it's a bit too early to judge that after just two post-premiere episodes. Honestly, I wouldn't want tons of plot-related episodes, I really love the more relaxed filler-type episodes. :)

• Brohoof 3

Unless I'm missing something, every season is like that, no?

Well, I think the sentiment of being fillerish it's because many of us were expecting more travels trought Equestria.

Note: I'm still waiting for Hollow Shades and bat ponies  :(

• Brohoof 1

It is waaaay too early to tell for the whole season, but I haven't felt that way about any of the new episodes so far and Bloom and Gloom actually did explore an aspect that was new for the CMC's. It did not have to do with the new 'map' overarching thing but not every episode is going to do that.

• Brohoof 3

Well yeah it's a bit too early to tell, but now that we have the titles of every episode it looks like it will be like that until the season finale.

Nope. I mean in the 3rd episode they were dealing with Twilight's loss of the old library and all that. That seems pretty relevant to me.

And the latest episode concluded the CMC/Luna trilogy.
  • Brohoof 2

I'm starting to think it's human nature to doomcry.  Like part of us wants to see the end come and the slightest inclining that something may be wrong with something there love jumps straight to panic mode.  Wait it out.  :P  Too soon.

• Brohoof 4

I definitely don't think so. Firstly, we've only had two episodes beyond the openings. Secondly, I don't even feel like we could call the latest episode 'filler'. It showed great character interest and development for Applebloom(and as seen towards the end, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo), showing that they too are growing alongside the Mane 6. I think it contributes just as much as anything.

• Brohoof 1

Well yeah it's a bit too early to tell, but now that we have the titles of every episode it looks like it will be like that until the season finale.

And the latest episode concluded the CMC/Luna trilogy.

Ooooh yeaah! I totally forgot about the sweetie belle one.

• Brohoof 1

I feel the season has actually been really strong overall, and only one episode would I call 'filler' and that being perhaps Bloom and Gloom. Yet even that has its purpose, such as finally moving forward if even a step when it comes to the subject of the CMC getting their cutiemark. All in all I haven't had any complaint except on missed opportunity in the most recent episode.

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 1

Damn son!

Only four episodes and you're already calling this season a filler. The episodes are not even bad in any way really. Sure you might have found the CMC/Luna episode a bit boring if neither of them are one of your favourite ponies but in my opinion this season has started off pretty well.

The only traditional overarching plot in MLP was last season's Tree of Harmony keys. The friendship letters were sort of in the same spirit, but they never defined a whole story arc from beginning to end. Megas75 mentioned the Gala from Season 1; although I agree in part with that assessment, the Gala was a relatively minor story arc in the guise of a season-long arc. The Gala feels more akin to the Equestria Games arc which, in my mind, fell flat on its face.

Filler episodes, by definition, add little to nothing of substance to the story. Usagi Tsukino vanquishing the monster of the day in Sailor Moon apart from learning any lesson or advancing the plot is filler. On the other hand (or hoof), when Twilight and her friends learn to cherish old memories by creating new ones ("Castle Sweet Castle"), or Apple Bloom understands she doesn't have to be defined by her cutie mark (an especially interesting assessment, given how Season 3 ended and Season 5 began), those carry some level of fundamental change to the status quo.

Due to the particular way in which MLP functions through mixing slice-of-life and adventure, not every "non-core" episode is filler.

• Brohoof 3

Well, I think the writers don't want every episode to deal with the main plot, as that would require dragging it out a lot, due to the season being 26 episodes. Plus, they want to still retain the slice of life format, as to keep with the show's original roots. So I wouldn't classify it as, "filler."

It's only been 3 episodes so... seriously?

The OP is a legitimate concern: it's not inconceivable for a show -- especially well-seasoned ones -- to fall right into filler out of the gate. Sailor Moon and, if I remember correctly, Pokemon stand out as prime examples. Granted, though, they are animes, and Sailor Moon had to buy time for the manga to develop the story arcs first.

• Brohoof 2