Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How come we don't see any teenaged ponies?

hironakamura

How come we don't see any teenaged ponies?

We've seen baby ponies (Cake Twins), child ponies (CMC), elderly ponies (Granny Smith) and adult ponies (everyone else) yet we've never seen a transitional phase between child ponies and adult ponies.

I remember for 2-3 months I used to think the Mane 6 were all teens. Otherwise, why would Pinkie act like such a freak? It felt right when I thought they were teens just because mah love for Applejack was a little more justified, bein' 14 and all :). I imagined them to be 13 to 18 years old (Pinkie the youngest, Rarity the oldest). Then I realized that no teenager would have her own business by now (Rarity), or try to get married (Rarity, in "Best Night Ever"), and no teen would really live on their own (All but Applejack), so I came to the conclusion they're at maybe 16-17 to 23 years old (Applejack the youngest, Rarity the oldest). I was in denial just because it felt slightly more ackward in liking them as much, but the show now makes some more sense now that they seem older.

• Brohoof 8

I always thought they were around 18/19. So yeah, teenagers. But I could be horribly horribly wrong.

Quote from Laren Fausts deviant art

Q: How old are the ponies?

The ponies' ages were left intentionally undefined. I like to think of them as having maturity levels anywhere between 12 and 18, (but remember that maturity is different than age. You can be a 10-year-old with the maturity of a 15-year-old, and you can be a 35-year-old with the maturity of a 15-year-old.) For story telling purposes, they needed to be able to live independent of parents, but innocent enough for the type of lessons they learn at the end of the episodes. Since horses are full grown around 5-ish, I guess I sort of justified it in my head that they could be childlike young adults. I know this answer is frustrating for some people, but it happens often in cartoons. How old is Bugs Bunny? Mickey Mouse? Sponge Bob? I don't know either.

• Brohoof 11

Yeah. Like the majority of the posts above mine, I thought the mane 6 are teenagers. I'm guessing from 17-20ish. But.. the younger sisters (and poor scootaloo) are in elementary-type school. So that puts them at roughly 7-10ish. It is in fact strange that (most of) the mane six live on their own. But that's using our human logic in ponyville...

I dunno, man. It just feels right saying the mane 6 are teens.

the mane 6 arent teens, they are young adults.

Aaaanyways, its true we havent seen many teens, but how can we know the age of any of the background ponies? Many of them might be teens.

"really? Do you want this sparragus like so badly? Get a life!"

the mane 6 arent teens, they are young adults.

Ahem, late teens are young adults.

Before the definition "teenager" there were nothing between Child and Adult.

However, considering what Lauren Faust commented, they can easily be between 20-25, with a selective maturity from 15-30.

Pinkie Pie, the most childish, might even be the oldest of them ...

I get the feeling the mane 6 are in their late teens/early 20s, though maturity level doesn't not equal age ever.

Also, Tina Brown, Pinkie can't be the oldest. Fluttershy is a year older than her.

I wouldn't say all the mane 6 are teenagers. Rarity strikes me as a young adult. She's very serious-minded and dedicated to her work. Fluttershy and AJ also seem more adult than the rest of the mane 6. Pinkie, Twilight, and RD are clearly teenaged. Lopsided personalities and frequently make insanely stupid mistakes.

Edit: and aren't these teenagers?

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETHFE21E48k

Edited by Forlong
  • Brohoof 6

I get the feeling the mane 6 are in their late teens/early 20s, though maturity level doesn't not equal age ever. Also, Tina Brown, Pinkie can't be the oldest. Fluttershy is a year older than her.

Please explain the bolded, then, since there must be a clue in some of the episodes that i have missed, if that is the case ....
  • Brohoof 1

@Tina: in one episode (I can't remember which and my iPod is being finicky with YouTube) where pinkie says "don't worry, your auntie pinkie (don't remember rest of sentence" and as she's walking away, fluttershy says "But I'm a year older than you..." I'll find a link during lunch if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Curse you mobile version not letting me edit my last post x_x it's in griffon the brush off when fluttershy wants to know why she was invited to gilda's party

I wouldn't say all the mane 6 are teenagers. Rarity strikes me as a young adult. She's very serious-minded and dedicated to her work. Fluttershy and AJ also seem more adult than the rest of the mane 6. Pinkie, Twilight, and RD are clearly teenaged. Lopsided personalities and frequently make insanely stupid mistakes.

Edit: and aren't these teenagers?

http-~~-//www.youtube.c...h?v=ETHFE21E48k

Yeah that's what I tried to say. These are teenagers and there are probably much more

Please explain the bolded, then, since there must be a clue in some of the episodes that i have missed, if that is the case ....

Griffon the Brush off. Fluttershy clearly says that she's a year older than Pinkie Pie. Anyways, why would you think she's the oldest?

They are all over 18, since they all live alone except for Applejack (But she's like the most mature) (Well actually I'm still not sure wether or not Pinkie lives with the cakes).

The Mane Six are young adults, and that means they're likely between the human ages of 18-24. They're basically as close to teenagers as you will ever get with respect to ponies.

Pony physical development seems to work in quantum leaps rather than in gradual stages.

• Brohoof 1

I always thought they were around 18/19. So yeah, teenagers. But I could be horribly horribly wrong.

The wikipedia for MLP:FiM said that the mane 6 have the maturity levels of around 13-18... However, I still believe that the mane 6 are in there teens... Pinkie Pie being around 13-14, Applejack 15-16, Rainbow Dash 14-15, Fluttershy being 14-15 (in one episode, she claimed to be one year older than Pinkie...), Twilight Sparkle being around 16-17, and Rarity being 17-18... but that's my guess... age doesn't equal maturity, rank doesn't equal class...

I remember for 2-3 months I used to think the Mane 6 were all teens. Otherwise, why would Pinkie act like such a freak? It felt right when I thought they were teens just because mah love for Applejack was a little more justified, bein' 14 and all :). I imagined them to be 13 to 18 years old (Pinkie the youngest, Rarity the oldest). Then I realized that no teenager would have her own business by now (Rarity), or try to get married (Rarity, in "Best Night Ever"), and no teen would really live on their own (All but Applejack), so I came to the conclusion they're at maybe 16-17 to 23 years old (Applejack the youngest, Rarity the oldest). I was in denial just because it felt slightly more ackward in liking them as much, but the show now makes some more sense now that they seem older.

Makes more sense, yes. Makes one feel awkward about calling some of them potentially cute, yes.

• Brohoof 1

Griffon the Brush off. Fluttershy clearly says that she's a year older than Pinkie Pie. Anyways, why would you think she's the oldest?

I said that she could, .... since how mature one acts, and how old one is, has not neccesarily anything to do with eachother ...

I find it interesting how often our estimates of age amongst the Mane Six correspond to our own age range...those of us setting them in their early twenties, such as myself, are also in our twenties, while those of us setting them as teens are generally teens, etc...we are all projecting?

Anyway, as for not seeing teenaged ponies, I think the problem is that the simplicity of the art style prevents there from being much of a transitionary phase between the foals and the adults. I personally see the CMCs as being twelve or thirteen anyway, due to the association of Cutie Marks with puberty, so if we want to see an awkward looking teenage pony, we should probably look to Fluttershy from her Cutie Mark story and later appearance again in Hurricane Fluttershy. True, she is proportioned how an actual real life pony foal technically would be, with the longer legs and so on, but in terms of the art style and the fact that the Equestrian ponies are obviously different, anatomically speaking, I am willing to say she's the closest we'd get.

• Brohoof 1