Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Tanks For The Memories: An Allegory For Something Sadder?

Denim&Venöm

Honestly, (and I know this is a very unpopular opinion) I would have liked it better if Tank actually was dying.  I never liked him, and that would have made all the emotions of the episode more believable and genuine.  That would have knocked it out of the park for me.  But that's just a hypothetical.  I know they wouldn't deal with something like that on this show.

Well, it's true, it felt Dashie was overreacting, but it made it's job to show the deeper message of it

• Brohoof 1

An allegory. That explains why it seemed like she was overreacting to her pet temporarily going away.

Yes. It you are in a position were you think you can save a loved one, you will move mountains to do it. Not being in a position to move mountains usually brings a feeling of uselessness and longing to be able to affect change.

I would do the same thing as Dash 10 times over.

Lots of property damage, huh? wacko.png

• Brohoof 3

The episode was fantastic. I not only loved it for the message and what it was, seeing the personal side of Dash and whatnot, but also because like many people in this thread it would seem I too have gone through this situation before. More than once for that matter. The episode touched my heart in a way no other has before. The writer really took a step here and I'm glad they did. I can easily sympathize and reach out to what was going on.

Edited by Felix
  • Brohoof 2

I certainly noticed the five stars of grief, too...and the last scene felt an awful lot like a burial. I mean, it literally was. Not to mention the title.

I really wonder if the younger viewers who watch his episode will catch the theme...it wasn't exactly subtle. I mean, nopony would be so upset about being separated for only a few months.

I actually cried at the end of this episode, and I still am. (I just watched it.)

I lost my own grandfather recently, (two months, yesterday) and I couldn't help but think about him the whole time. The way RD mishandled Tank throughout the episode really hurt, too...it became hard to watch.

Honestly, I don't think I'll be watching this episode again. It was good, and well done, but it's far to real for me right now. I never really got to say goodbye to my Nonno. He was asleep. I guess that's why I'm crying.

Sorry for that. I just needed to tell someone I guess.

• Brohoof 3

So wait wait, Tank is written out of the show now? It did sound like it was suggesting death with the five stages of grief, but it was also outright saying that Tank would be back after winter ends and spring starts. What, that's a lie to the audience and he's never going to wake up?

Only if the duration of the series takes place in the span of 2 or 3 months, because I'm pretty sure the episode made it clear enough that Tank is not going to die from hibernation.

Maybe. Dealing with a temporary loss is great way to introduce some of the concepts  used in something more drastic.

I don't we were supposed to sympathize with Rainbow Dash in her actions but rather more so on the concept of loss, and yes grieving is a selfish process before acceptance is reached.

• Brohoof 3

Only if the duration of the series takes place in the span of 2 or 3 months, because I'm pretty sure the episode made it clear enough that Tank is not going to die from hibernation.

Then why is practically everyone and their mother saying in this very thread that it's about death? An allegory implies something else.

Then why is practically everyone and their mother saying in this very thread that it's about death? An allegory implies something else.

Because of Rainbow Dash's reaction to the news, and the fact that Tank is buried in the end. It's very much treated like a death, even though Tank is still alive.

• Brohoof 1

Because of Rainbow Dash's reaction to the news, and the fact that Tank is buried in the end. It's very much treated like a death, even though Tank is still alive.

The title "Tanks for the Memories" also implies that no more memories will be made.

• Brohoof 2

Except the episode also clearly states it's until Spring. I think people are reading too deeply into it.

Based on this, I don't think it's about death. Rainbow just overreacted and was treating it as such.

Edited by bronislav84
  • Brohoof 1

Except the episode also clearly states it's until Spring. I think people are reading too deeply into it.

Based on this, I don't think it's about death. Rainbow just overreacted and was treating it as such.

That's what makes it an allegory for death. B)

Edited by immblueversion

Anyone who ever loved a pet can appreciate the deeper message in the episode. Still, I am hoping we get to see at least a couple scenes where Rainbow pauses by that tree and smiles. Maybe even have her take a quick time-out from her Winter Wrap-up duties to eagerly wait for Tank to emerge from his hibernation.

"No Fluttershy, gimmie that bell! Let me be the one to wake up Tank! See, I have his propeller and goggles right here. He's going to help me round up the birds and bring them back to Ponyville!"

• Brohoof 2

Or people are really just reading too deeply into it. Or I don't understand how an allegory works. Probably the latter. Sigh.

No, it is indeed an allegory. Long history of this approach in children's narrative. 

Also, this. I really don't see how 'just hibernating' is a bigger message. ;)

• Brohoof 3

Well then, if a show writer says so, I'll back off thinking the message is being overcomplicated.

Weird I had to Google her though. She doesn't have herself listed as working on FIM on her Twitter profile.

Carry on people. Sorry for any trouble caused.

Edited by bronislav84

This is one of the only episodes of FiM that has actually made me cry at all and this one in particular hit me pretty hard. Seeing her desperation and sadness at the end was heartbreaking.

That's the genius of it though. They were able to convey this message so well without actually dealing with something as grim as death. DHX are extremely crafty and I love them for it, even if they did make me cry. :P I still get this sinking feeling when I think about those scenes too...

All of this really makes me love the episode. I think it is by far the saddest episode yet but that is a part of its strength and it's message.

• Brohoof 1

I definitely got the impression that "hibernation" is a euphemism for "death." Look at that scene where Rainbow Dash is trying to avoid even saying the word!

On top of that, though, I also think this episode might be hinting at something deeper going on with Rainbow's psyche. She really hates being along and will do anything to avoid it. It seems to be her trigger/vulnerable point just as much as it was Pinkie's in "Party of One." It made me wonder if she has lost someone else in the past. Or else maybe she dislikes being alone because it forces her to think about things she wouldn't have to deal with otherwise (one of my main characters who is very, very similar to Rainbow Dash has the exact same issue.) I will say that this episode made me like Rainbow Dash quite a bit more than I had previously! She seems like a really deep character and I hope more of this is explored - even if it is at a subtle level.  

ETA - on the other other hand (lol), that isn't to say there aren't other types of loss less extreme than death. It can be very hard to have a friend move away, too, even if you still have contact with them. Tank isn't dead, but Rainbow Dash still isn't going to be able to see or talk to him for a long time. Added to that, is of course, that this was a pretty sudden realization.

Edited by Carolina

Unfortunately, I think this was indeed intended to be an episode on grieving.

I say unfortunately, because I was really hoping such an episode would have focused on Applejack and her parents.

It is still an excellent episode, in my mind, though. Although I question why Dash saw fit to add "Causing millions of bits in property damage" to the five stages of grieving.