Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I am glad ponies don't deal with image problems as humans does

Trine

Fat people i mean. Eating disorder and all that to get your ideal body..

But being happy with who you are is all what matters in terms of having your goal on your interests. I mean sure, being obese is a health hazzard, so that is a problem or not eating well enough. But thats more medical problem than fixation problem.

In MLP world everyone can eat like a pony and hangout and just be ponies :3

• Brohoof 4

That is one thing about the show, it doesn't contain all the drama problems most of the time... But there is social anxieties, usually when the mane six go into Canterlot, Rarity is self aware and aware of her friends behaviour. In the end of one episode, she finally said the truth and everything turned out alright, but still though, there was some kind of image problem, but not when it comes to weight. XD I mean Twilight when she ate all those pies though... She lost a whole ton of weight when she met Rainbow Dash in the first episode.

• Brohoof 3

Yeah, that's true.  But let's face it: one reason that they don't have to deal with body image issues is because they're all perfect.  Perfect world, perfect ponies, all made from the same base model.  Mrs Cake is a little overweight, and Snips and Snails are goofy looking.  Those are the only ones I can think of that aren't perfect.  I mean, I kind of like it that way, honestly.  It's just a perfect, fictional world to escape to.  But perhaps it would be beneficial to have a pony here or there who doesn't fit the perfect mold.

• Brohoof 2

Maybe they do worry about their coat color or mane style. However even that can be changed easily so I guess you're right, they got nothing to worry about.

Perfect world, perfect ponies.

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

the fact that they don't have to deal with that is a bit of why i love the show even more. in there you only just show up and be yourself. its not like this world where you are judged by EVERYTHING, even as i type on the net. when it is shown in the show, it's resolved in a way that gives me hope for irl. like when spike wanted to be a 'real' dragon but ended up seeing just how it wasn't for him. that was really cool.

• Brohoof 1

Mlp shows many negative aspects from humanity, since it's trying to offer an answer in how to deal with similar problems in life.

But it does so in a lighter degree, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to have any relatable character with the main demography it's aimed towards.

So it's very likely that we have an episode where this kind of subject is being dealt with.

Body image problems does exist in Equestria, just a small number.

But that stuff is easy to change, unless you have short tail. But generally its not the end of the world i think in compared to humans.

.---- Although where i am from it has become cool to have a "Dad tummy" literal translation as its called. I find it funny honestly, its like "I trained for nothing??".

But in MLP world they can eat and basically just be ponies without no worries, it just doesn't have a self reflect issue i feel in general term.

If you look between the lines there actually is some evidence that they do exist though probably not on the level we see in human society. This is in large part due to the fact that the ponies have a significantly less sedentary and more active lifestyle which means less obesity and problems associated with that though we have seen a few ponies who have been a bit chubby I can't think of one off the top of my head that is morbidly obese. With that said though they are never in a million years going to have an episode where a pony deals with an eating disorder because if they did parents would flip out. I do have a fanfic idea though where Rarity gains a ton of weight due to a rather stressful event in her life and turns to some rather extreme ways to get rid of those extra pounds. The idea without giving too much away is supposed to be a criticism of societies contradictory and hypocritical views on all of this.

• Brohoof 1

There are a lot of skinny ponies yes, but I do remember that one puppeteer pony from S4E23.

Rarity_%22Awful%3F%21%27_S4E23.png

Then there was S4E15 with the little foal with the tofu burger cutie mark.  A little pudgier than the rest but not like some human children we sometimes see in real life.

Foals_chanting_%22Twilight_Time%21%22_S4

I originally wanted to add Pony Joe to the list but he does not seem pudgy, just a thicker chin.

(edited)

Torchsong, Mrs. Cake, and Babs Seed are all noticeably bigger compared to, say...Rarity, Mr. Cake, and Sweetie Belle.

Torch_Song_ID_S4E14.png7147220.jpgaba43ac278268f53f3de016de5100bd8.jpg

However, problems associated with weight hasn't really been seen in the show, at least to the point where it becomes serious. The ponies in Ponyville are a bit more forgiving in looks compared to our world. I would prefer that world over what we got instead of having people pressuring others to be thin.

Edited by Bayonetta

(edited)

We also cannot forget the Cutie Marks which does get mixed up as a body image problem at times since Apple Bloom does bring up her own blank flank at times. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon have made fun of other ponies not having something on their flanks.

Edited by Singe

Well... there aren't any fat ponies. I can count like 3. Snips, Fat dude in the CMC's school, the puppet dude in inspiration manifestation. 

Mrs. Cake and Babs Seed and as someone else pointed, Torch Song, also count. The CMC's pudgy classmate is not named in the show but he's universally known as Truffle Shuffle (after the fat kid in The Goonies). I don't see why they can't give him more focus.

Mrs. Cake and Babs Seed and as someone else pointed, Torch Song, also count. The CMC's pudgy classmate is not named in the show but he's universally known as Truffle Shuffle (after the fat kid in The Goonies). I don't see why they can't give him more focus.

babs seed is fat? what? I think she's just a little bit older. 

(edited)

Another thing is that pony society isn't as technologically advanced as our own. Their isn't as much time for leisure and remaining sedentary all the time like there is here. Though they still have considerably more time for it than expected

Food doesn't seem to be very abundant either as it isn't mass-produced, with the food in the bazaar Fluttershy went to "Putting Your Hoof Down" being in low quantity and prices in-flux dependent on supply, which cannot be maintained at a level consistent with demand in a less industrialized world. I mean with the Apple family, we know that they barely make ends meet according to Applejack and can't afford some important things like a hip replacement for Granny Smith even though they pretty much have a monopoly over a major food source in Ponyville (and likely they export to other places in Equestria). This is also with Sweet Apple Acres' famous Zap Apple Jam and cider that ponies line up for.

So a combination of food not being as plentiful as in our world and with their more active lifestyles, there will be less widespread obesity in Equestrian societies.

Image and reputation have been shown to be of more priority in larger cities (Canterlot in "Sweet and Elite" and Manehatten in "Rarity Takes Manehatten") which aren't a focus on the show as compared to the more quaint, humble life in Ponyville.

Finally, we haven't seen fashion companies that have great advertising power to influence a great deal of ponies' decisions on clothing and how to look, likely because this world isn't as industrialized and clothing isn't a social norm.

Edited by estoc