Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you used the Pony Creator? What do you think of it?

Prince Lightning Da Cute

Seeing as I have little to no artistic stencil skills, this thing is right up my alley. And I agree with OP. You can do some additional editing to it in programs like Photoshop, which I'm also fairly skilled at.

The biggest thing I see people saying about why they use it is that they can't draw.

Well yeah, and you never will if you just let the generator do all the work for you.

Do you think artists just wake up one morning and BAM, they can draw well?

Sit down and try it. The only reason I can think of why someone shouldn't at least try and draw something themselves if they straight up hate drawing. Most people don't hate the act of drawing, they just don't like the work or the fact that they can't churn out professional level art on their first go.

Just lower your expectations, grab yourself some references, and try to have some fun.

Tried it, couldn't get it right at all after like 100 tries. I can draw a real horse just fine, however, yet not even that helped. 

Tried it, couldn't get it right at all after like 100 tries. I can draw a real horse just fine, however, yet not even that helped. 

Are you giving yourself time?

I encountered someone not too long ago who was complaining about how they couldn't draw, but they were trying to turn out completed pictures in like 20 minutes. That is NOT enough time, especially for a beginner. And learning to draw is an ongoing thing. I've been fortunate enough to have been doodling and drawing since I was a toddler. I only got serious about be good at it when I was 12.

It's taken years to get "good" at it. But five years from now I'll look back at my "good" art and think it's bad compared to my art then.

• Brohoof 1

Pony Creator is a tool, but like all tools, it has its time and place. Think of it like a knife, you would not eat a steak dinner without one, but you also wouldn't eat a steak dinner with just a knife. Pony Creator can be used to create basic references, but it is limited as a primary art tool. I have no objection to art based on Pony Creator ponies, but an image straight from the creator doesn't fit in with art that is drawn from scratch.

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, there's something i just wanna get off my back. It's Generalzoi's pony maker. Oh my god, does this thing pump out ocs! You can't be a brony and have not seen at least thirty of these unoriginal, overpowered ocs. This "art" creator, makes it so easy to make crappy ocs at the blink of an eye. The worst thing, however, is that even if you suck at drawing, it still has more pride than using it. I assume some people use it because they're intimidated to draw, because some people like to hit below the belt and insult them about their work. But honestly, must you take it that seriously to turn to that? The Pony Maker has turned to sin. Just stick it out and draw one! It's obvious that you used it whenever it's posted online. The only acceptable use for this is requesting a commission, because someone else is going to draw it for you. Really guys, you cant use paper and look up a guide online? If you think you suck, you don't. You just aren't finding the guide you're looking for you make the pony body image just click in your mind. I used to think I was bad, so I used the pony maker. You just have to make yourself believe your art is good! The only problem is that you may rub it in people's faces and when they're better than you, you'll get all butthurt, but that's not such a continental issue compared to this oc making monster. They're so poorly constructed; they look like they have scoliosis, it's so bad. But nooooooooOOOOOOooooo. You guys just have to keep going back to that stupid flash game, so you can pump out your crappy oc. NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE "King of darkness that's Celestia's son and revived assassin who lives in the future." Yes, that's a REAL OC. And guess what? Nobody cares; that's why people parody you, ya big dumb. It's so ridiculous, it'd be silly NOT to parody it. So, in conclusion, don't use the pony maker. Thankssss

• Brohoof 5

I admit, Pony Maker sucks, but I really only get annoyed with it when the products are given a background (or not) and made into an avatar.

At least zoom in and get a close up of their face. It just looks sorta trashy otherwise.

But whatever. I don't control people and what they do. I guess Rarity's affinity for things looking neat and pleasing to the eye is rubbing off on me :D

• Brohoof 1

Ok, well i'm me and i like it, it gives me ideas for new concepts whether i make oc or not, if you don't whana use fine, but dont bash anyone else for using it and calling them dumb, specially when you yourself have use it as you said.

Most of us are horrible at drawing, i know, i know me to do shitty stuff xD, and if pony maker gives me something that resembles that oc i want the let us be, we all use tools this is another one we can use, just like people use photoshop or video editing software to help them make videos, wallpapers etc etc.

• Brohoof 2

I don't care if others use it. I can't draw for crap and frankly don't care to learn. Yeah, it gets annoying when people make super ridiculous OCs with all sorts of whack features, but whatever, people can do what they want to do.

I never planned on making an OC, but everypony has one. So you are saying a crappy, poorly-made pony in MS PAINT is better than this "Pony Maker"? Eh. I could bust out a real OC if I had a scanner or some REAL art program like Photoshop.

Hey, I frickin used it for my own avatar. But apparently, I'm the only one around here with the decent sense to pose him and crop around the face, so it doesn't look stupid.

• Brohoof 1

Also another thing to keep in mind Making an OC and giving them a background story are 2 diferent things, as well just cause i use an alicorn OC doesnt me its op compare to some other Unicorns hive seen somewhere else.

The only reason I don't actually use the Pony Maker is because the computer I use to make ponies doesn't let me access DeviantArt, so I get my base off of Google and edit it with ms Paint. I can't draw, nor do I really wish to try my hand at it any more than I have to. I made a cow look like a dog- drawing is not a skill of mine. The Pony Maker is really good for some of us.

It is understandable that the Ponymaker has resulted in thousands of OCs...even mine were created from it. Often times, I regret doing so in the fact that I wish I could have put a greater deal of thought into my pony's design. The biggest thing in my opinion is the mane and tail...there are only so many on the Ponymaker and that normally means that someone else's OC has your OC's mane or tail...It was saddening but I can't go back now. All the same, we can't exactly force others not to use it. Of course people are afraid to draw and often times they just simply don't want to. The Ponymaker happens to be quite convenient for such things. As well, not everyone has a way to get their drawn OCs onto the screen. I know I couldn't...Of course the outrageous OCs are annoying but like I've said many times, the creation of the OCs are often times a direct resemblance of their creator's want or need: whether it be for laughs or to feel important to others. Attention is an enormous factor online, especially to the overwhelming amount of Bronies want to receive it...to get recognized. At least with the creator, a foundation to greater things is possible. I believe that the OCs should not be made for the enjoyment of others but for the pleasing of their creator. How they are made should not matter to anyone else unless it affects them. I'm not attempting to downplay anyone's opinion for they are entitled to it but I would say to remember the foundations at which this fandom was made ;)

• Brohoof 3

The only reason I don't actually use the Pony Maker is because the computer I use to make ponies doesn't let me access DeviantArt, so I get my base off of Google and edit it with ms Paint. I can't draw, nor do I really wish to try my hand at it any more than I have to. I made a cow look like a dog- drawing is not a skill of mine. The Pony Maker is really good for some of us.

If you dont mind me asking why wont your compu wont let you get on to deviant art?

If you dont mind me asking why wont your compu wont let you get on to deviant art?

I use a work computer- I don't have one at home yet. My job doesn't care- but the firewalls are a pain in the neck.

img-2193632-1-tumblr_m141jal8Bj1rn95k2o1

Honestly though, if you are a first timer making an OC, I can see why people would use it. To be honest, I use it as a base to find out what color my oc should be, or get an idea of what I can do with him/her.

I say let people use pony creator, if they don't slap a bunch of random stuff together with NO effort, and say "HUEHUE HAY LUK, THIS ISH MY OC AND HE/SHE'S BEST PONEH."

Plenty of us all used it at some point, and if it's became a sin then I guess i'll see all of you in the deepest pit of hell. O_O

Lol I keed.

Edited by Kitteh Cakes
  • Brohoof 4

I use a work computer- I don't have one at home yet. My job doesn't care- but the firewalls are a pain in the neck.

aww that sucks......well im testing whit some vector stuff and im doing some OC of my own if you whana give me a try xD shamless plug FTW

Oh, wow. If people want to use the pony creator, I say let them - more power to them. It's a tool that's easily accessible for everyone, and I see no problem with people that have no interest in drawing using it because they want a picture of their OC. Some people honestly don't want to draw, or really don't think they can, and that is fine. Drawing is not for everyone. I say this as someone who is majoring in art, with my focus on drawing and painting. It is not for everyone.

Sometimes people just want to see their character in any visual form, and aren't interested in learning how to create a piece of art. There is nothing wrong with that! The pony creator is a tool that accomplishes just that - it creates a visual representation of a pony that the user can customize close to their heart's content.

Edited by Powderpuff
  • Brohoof 3