Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

references you think most people missed

SolidTwilight

I'd like to point out that that line was spoken by Q, the same character De Lancie voiced, not Data.

Whoops I realized that like right after I posted this! It was a fail of EPIC proportions, for someone who binges on Next Gen while she had BBC America.

• Brohoof 1

No one has mentioned it, so there is that reference to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas where discord is dressed up as the character Johnny Depp plays

sig-3792535.discord_fear_and_loathing_by

There was also a reference to The Big Lebowski in an episode.

sig-3792535.my_little_pony_big_lebowski_

these are 2 of my all time favorite ones! I still find it hilarious that they referenced a very R rated movie about heavy drug use :-)

• Brohoof 2

there was an episode where pinkie pie feels neglected while the others are planning her surprise birthday party. In that episode she has a room full of inanimate objects as her new friends (except gummy). there are a few monologue scenes where the background goes psychedelic and her eyes go googly... and I immediately see SALAD FINGERS... (my apologies to all the kids on this forum that don't know salad fingers... do not google salad fingers... do not watch salad fingers.... you are too young....) but I don't think everyone has missed it. I see someone on youtube has put a salad fingers voice over on that episode and it does match quite well. :blink:

Mabye not missed, but more misinterpreted. In swarm of the century, pinkie says "have tuba will travel", it seemed to me a lot of people took this a metallica reference.

But i think it was more a reference to the old western Show "Have gun, will travel", which was in itself referencing the old saying "Have suit, will travel"

Not the metallica song

• Brohoof 1

I'd like to point out that that line was spoken by Q, the same character De Lancie voiced, not Data.

Not to mention that the ENTIRE character of Discord is a reference to Q. Lauren Faust apparently said she just came off a Star Trek binge when writing him.

In any case, I have a pet (fun) theory that Discord *IS* Q. :D

1 - Q is known to travel through dimensions

2 - Q is practically omnipotent, and Discord has power that rivals or even surpasses Celestia's

3 - Q and Discord have exactly the same personality

4 - The "Q-flash" and snapping of fingers when Discord does a thingy*

5 - Q and Discord love tormenting folks, but not in a malicious, going-to-kill-you way, more prankster

6 - Q and Discord deep down want companionship/friendship

Discord_tricking_Rainbow_Dash_S2E1.png

StarTrekTheNextGenerationQDejaQQ287.jpg

There was this one scene in Tanks For the Memories where Rainbow Dash snuck into the laboratory and got sucked into the machine. I thought it was a reference to Wallace and Gromit, but so far, I haven't seen anyone else mention it.

• 2 years later...
(edited)

Some of the music score in the episode "Hearth's Warming Eve" appears to be based on the theme of the film "Exodus".

While I haven't seen the film myself, I instantly noticed the similar music, and the plot of the film also appears to be somewhat similar to that of the episode (groups of people, or ponies, fighting over a land). And to make it more obvious, the Exodus theme is also known as "This Land Is Mine"! :ooh:

Scene from Hearth's Warming Eve with the music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ikNyO8WGI

Theme from Exodus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM6wKMH-JRM

Edited by Tacodidra
Added links.
  • Brohoof 1

Okay, so I've got one of mine...

Any of you know Grandpa Gruff? Y'know, that old greedy griffon? Gilda's grandfather from The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone? I mean this guy:

latest?cb=20160121053838

From what I've seen, when someone sees Grandpa Gruff they say "Grunkle Stan". Buuuut, when I see Grandpa Gruff, I say "Gargamel".
No, really. Just compare the above picture with this one:

250px-Gargamel_and_Azrael_from_the_Smurf

Thick eyebrows, bald head, the remaining head feathers placed just where the ears would be, saggy face, elderly character, ornery personality (greed and taking advantage of another individual included according to his wikia page), big beak, (dark) gray as one of the primary colors... Save for the fez, eye scar, yellow feet and the coat color not being black/dark gray, I swear Grandpa Gruff is basically Gargamel as a griffon. Even the Shout-Out page of MLP on TV Tropes mentions this (albeit adding the "more obvious" Grunkle Stan bit), so it seems that I may not be alone. But then again, I never watched Gravity Falls...

One of the mares that were swooning over Feather Bangs looked a lot like Belle from Beauty and the Beast, but I don't hear a lot of people mention that when talking about Hard to Say Anything.

The character Pacific Glow from "The Saddle Row Review" is a reference to drug usage. The pacifier she wears around her neck is used commonly as a chewing relief for teeth as the drug, ecstasy can heighten the senses causing the user to unintentionally grind their teeth until it bleeds.