Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Regarding Magical Mystery Cure

Celli

So, this video was put out regarding MMC.

Apparently, there was a lot of stuff Larson wanted to do in the s3 finale, the script was a lot different, but Hasbro being Hasbro, basically said, "not gonna happen" He wanted to make it a two-parter and they denied it.

So for all of you who blame Larson for it being a poorly made and rushed episodes, shift your blame to Hasbro for stupid executive decisions.

• Brohoof 8

To reach sydication it needed to be 60 episodes.

Why they couldnt have just gotten rid of a normal episode, i dont know.

Which is a shame, i feel it would have been a great two-parter instead of a rushed songfest.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
He wanted to make it a two-parter and they denied it. So for all of you who blame Larson for it being a poorly made and rushed episodes, shift your blame to Hasbro for stupid executive decisions.

Is there any legitimate reason why? 

Seriously, why the hell would it have mattered to Hasbro whether it was a two-parter or not so long as Twilight still ended up an alicorn princess? 

If it's because they wanted to keep the season at 13 episodes, then I'll say that they could have easily chosen not to produce Spike at Your Service.  :okiedokielokie:

Edited by Cleverclover
  • Brohoof 3

Is there any legitimate reason why? 

Seriously, why the hell would it have mattered to Hasbro whether it was a two-parter or not so long as Twilight still ended up an alicorn princess? 

If it's because they wanted to keep the season at 13 episodes, then I'll say that they could have easily chosen not to produce Spike at Your Service.  :okiedokielokie:

The 13 episodes required for syndication might have been a factor, but they never told him why it had to be one part. Also, his original script sounded way more interesting, but I guess executives get final say. 

• Brohoof 1

As much as I hated that abomination of an episode I never blamed Larson or any of the other writers for it because I know they were only doing what Hasbro told them to do.

• Brohoof 2

As much as I hated that abomination of an episode I never blamed Larson or any of the other writers for it because I know they were only doing what Hasbro told them to do.

I know some people blamed him for it. 

Thanks for posting this! I must admit, MMC is one of my favourite episodes ever despite its apparent flaws. Having said that, I loved MA Larson's original idea for this episode, Twilight fixing something like a problem caused by Pandora's Box would have been an incredible moment. I can sort of understand why the changes were made, it's just a shame we lost what could have been some seriously epic moments. If it meant the show continued, then I'm not going to complain! Besides, I loved MMC just as it was :P

(edited)

Well, I'm glad Larson wasn't trying to write MMC the way it turned out. It was quite poorly written.

I like his original idea much better.

Edited by GrepPIEtas

Yep, that episode was the most thoroughly missed opportunity in the series. I like the songs, and the end result is what I'd long since wanted, but it could have made the show legendary if it was done right.

Most of all, scrap Spike At Your Service and give the finale the two parts it deserves... one to create/solve the problem, and one for the ascension/celebration, with lots of talking about the past and future. Really, they could have scrapped almost any other episode for it. It's the second most significant moment in the entire series, after Twilight's realization of friendship in the first 2 parter.

The Pandora's Box idea was great. I agree very much that the problem solved in the actual episode was too random and insignificant to deserve wings for it. But it can still be justified that she really earned her wings by saving Luna, and everything after was just helping her to learn and grow, and this final test was mostly formality. My first karate instructor always said that his tests were basically impossible to fail, because he wouldn't offer the test until you were ready for your next rank :)

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I always put the blame primarily and squarely on Hasbro. Anyone who think 2.5 Seasons, is enough to constitute complete show is kidding themselves.

Moreover, anyone who thinks a half hour episode suffices as a show finale, especially after said pitifully short e2.5 seasons needs to have some sense punched into them. 

Ultimately everyone was duped. Alicorn Twilight was a red herring. The real outrage and disaster averted was that MMC was meant to be a sorry assed finale. All for some extra profits. Makes me even angrier now that I realize the real intent.

I seem to be a minority with my love of MMC. (Just about my favorite episode ever) I do admit that the "Pandora's Box" concept would have elevated it to something truly wonderful.  I wonder if there's any kind of chance for the original script to get a novelization.

• Brohoof 1

It definitely does feel like it was originally a 2-parter condensed into 22 minutes. Magical Mystery Cure is an episode that I like but am completely aware of its flaws. It has great songs an great emotion, but needed to be fleshed out in order to get the full impact. The reason I don't hate it? Well it's hard to get me to hate something. It would have to legitimately piss me off and pacing issues aren't one of those things.

I do wonder if the reaction to Twilicorn would've been less had A. The episode been a 2 parter and B. The promos didn't completely spoil it.

I didn't find the episode all that bad (I don't find any of them bad; even the Spike ones). The only problem I had with it was that it cut the season short. Could it have been better? Yes. Was it still on? Yes. Would you watch it again? That's actually an interesting question. I'd probably watch reruns of the show if I had the channel and nobody was home. But I wouldn't directly rewatch anything.